View Full Version : Just ebooks forum?

Alastria
09-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Hello, My name is Alastria and I'm a chronic ebook reader :lol: :oops: :roll:

Does anyone know of a good place just to discuss ebooks??? I've searched the net and not finding much, don't feel like having to pay for one...only thing I can think of is start one myself, but wanted to see if anyone else knew of one first.

Frankly, it's a matter of this: I've been working on my ebook library with books I have and want to read, but can't because practically all my books are stuck, boxed up at my parents' home 100 miles away. So, I've been searching and searching for ebooks and wanting to find ones in series that I'm missing, but would also like to share what I have with other people and discuss the books, likes, dislikes, what could have been done better, etc. It would amount to about the same thing of loaning a friend a book and not really having to worry about if they lose it or drop it in their bathtub or something (I actually had a friend drop a book of mine in her bathwater once...and I hate not getting books back that I've loaned to people). And to work on my library, I really don't want to have to re-buy a book I already have in paperback or hardback, nor do I want to track the book I'm looking for down (in a used book store or my own collection), rip it apart and try to scan it.

Either way, anyone have any ideas?

dh
09-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Well this is a pretty good place to start. I've learnt a lot from some of the smart people here, especially regarding reader programs and how to get the best out of them.

You won't find links to free versions of copyrighted books, but there are plenty of hints as to where to go.

I'm committed to eBooks as well. I haven't bought a print book for a long time.

j95pgt
09-04-2004, 09:19 AM
I think it would be great if you started one here. I dont think there is enough discussion here. There is a lot but not enough about what books are good or whatever. So start posting:)

dMores
09-06-2004, 11:40 AM
the idea is good.
but since it would involve trading books, i guess you'd be kicked out of whatever forum you're posting your files on since it's illegal.

there is, however, the possibility to use PM on this forum to get in touch with people who offer help and discuss how you'd meet with them to trade your purchased, real-life books, or "similar actions", by email.

:wink:

:wink: :wink:

Alastria
09-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Well, I up and decided to do something about it myself, for anyone interested...I started an ebook addiction group at SmartGroups.com for those that would like to join:

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ebookaddiction

There's also two sister groups, one at Yahoo and one at MSN for those interested in a place they're more familiar with.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebookaddiction/
http://groups.msn.com/EbookAddiction

Just in case anyone is interested. I'm currently working on just a list of books I have (it'll take me a while), but feel free to join and post messages...

I think the primary group is currently the SmartGroups Ebook Addiction, but I'll keep checkups on three groups for when people post messages.

For more information, you can e-mail me at: [email protected]

:D

Kati Compton
09-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Feel free to discuss eBooks all you like here, however, we don't allow trading here of non-free books. There have been many links posted to sites that have a large library of (legally) free books, though. You may want to check the posts in this forum.

j95pgt
09-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Just wanted to say I signed up. See you there!

ignatz
09-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Head over to MobileRead (www.mobileread.com). The forum is dedicated to ebooks and offline web reading. Lots of discussion of ebooks, and the technologies associated therewith... And it's a good, friendly group.