View Full Version : Should I?

ombu
09-03-2004, 02:07 AM
WOT, 8) my beloved Jornada 568 is collecting dust since the 2210 came into my life, everything works fine, CF cam included.

By the other side, my daughter is almost 4 years old, she finds voice notes and pictures funny but hardly would use other features (for now).

Of course I want to guide her through the right path (PPC I mean :twisted: ) but I don't know if this is too much, so, the question is:

SHOULD I GIVE HER MY JORNADA 568?

Tell me what would you do or what do you think.

Regards.

Islander
09-03-2004, 03:35 AM
WOT, 8) my beloved Jornada 568 is collecting dust since the 2210 came into my life, everything works fine, CF cam included.

By the other side, my daughter is almost 4 years old, she finds voice notes and pictures funny but hardly would use other features (for now).

I would have given my son my Visor Platinum a couple weeks ago...but someone insisted on paying me $200 for it, the cam, the door stopper book, and the gorgeous leather case, and couple cd's of proggies. :devilboy:

Then again, he's 10, and a real computer user.

You should save it for your daughter for a few years...put it in the closet...it will get ruined now. Believe me, been there, done that ... 4 kids. Oldest is 24...time will come. You'll be glad you put it away for her. Just imagine how you will feel if it gets trashed.

Just my opinion. 8)

OSUKid7
09-03-2004, 04:08 AM
How computer-literate is she? Once she's mastered Windows and the Internet in a few years, ask her if she'd like the PDA. There's nothing worse than carrying a brick around and barely using it (which is what happened when my mom inherited my iPaq 3650 ;)).

gregmills
09-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Last week I loaded my old Palm Vx with a bunch of games and gave it to my 7 year old daughter. She's been a Bejeweled addict ever since. I also crazy glued shut the battery and memory compartment on an old Palm Pilot III and gave it to my 2 year old daughter. Because I'm afraid of her breaking the glass screen she only gets to play with it when daddy's watching.

People think it's pretty funny when I bring my kids around and we've all got our PDAs in tow. The little one pecks around on the dead screen with her stylus and declares "I workin!"

Now I know you may think that I'm getting my kids started out all wrong by giving them my old Palm PDAs but I think Palms were engineered for children and simple minded adults. The 7 year old is sufficiently jealous of my e750's capabilities and longs for the day when I can pass it down to her. I don't think there's any danger of them becoming sentimentally attached to the Palm OS. They know dad carries the good stuff :lol:

ombu
09-03-2004, 04:22 AM
I think Palms were engineered for children and simple minded adults
:rotfl:

Islander
09-03-2004, 04:26 AM
Last week I loaded my old Palm Vx with a bunch of games and gave it to my 7 year old daughter. She's been a Bejeweled addict ever since. I also crazy glued shut the battery and memory compartment on an old Palm Pilot III and gave it to my 2 year old daughter. Because I'm afraid of her breaking the glass screen she only gets to play with it when daddy's watching.

People think it's pretty funny when I bring my kids around and we've all got our PDAs in tow. The little one pecks around on the dead screen with her stylus and declares "I workin!"

:D
I can So picture that! greg, you are the true Geek, Cheers!
Good that you supervise though, any PDA would get ruined after a while of inattention.

Ppl around here, unfortunately, don't even know what the heck the silver thing is that I poke at in the local Co-op. My son was disappointed when I sold the Visor, but when he plays TombRaider on the A716, he is quite happy.

I offered both of my younger children a gameboy sp for passing their grade this summer, and both turned me down..Imagine! turned me down!

I don't know if any other kids in the local school would have done the same. But then again, they don't have the computer and PPC that we have :D -I can pretty much guarantee that. <sigh>

ombu
09-03-2004, 04:37 AM
.The 7 year old is sufficiently jealous of my e750's capabilities and longs for the day when I can pass it down to her. I don't think there's any danger of them becoming sentimentally attached to the Palm OS. They know dad carries the good stuff :lol:
Yep, and it's good for kids to know exactly who's in charge here, they tend to forget it as they grow. :lol:

gregmills
09-03-2004, 04:39 AM
Good that you supervise though, any PDA would get ruined after a while of inattention.

I don't supervise to protect the PDA, I supervise to protect the kid. :wink:

The Palm III would get me maybe 5 bucks on eBay. They are very old and pretty much worthless. I think it had like 4 megs of ram and used AAA batteries. But the casing was pretty rugged. It's hard plastic like the kind that they used to make beepers out of (yeesh, beepers, now that's some old tech). So once I glued the memory and battery compartments shut I figured it was pretty toddler safe. Unless she shatters the screen. Which is why I keep an eye on her when she's playing with it.

Islander
09-03-2004, 04:48 AM

I don't supervise to protect the PDA, I supervise to protect the kid. :wink:

Geez, that *did* look bad, didn't it :D Sorry hehe :oops:I guess I just don't think of the screen as being delicate... my toddler days are past...and thankfully, I have never had a screen break. I do know I am paranoid about breakage though, and dropping... I would love to have a wrist strap on this A716, but there's no where to attach it. I diligently put the wrist strap on when picking up my digital camera...and insist on anyone else doing the same...much to the hilarity of any people trying to use my camera. 8O

ombu
09-03-2004, 04:59 AM
8O Didn't think about safety reasons before.

Steven Cedrone
09-03-2004, 12:32 PM
I diligently put the wrist strap on when picking up my digital camera...and insist on anyone else doing the same...much to the hilarity of any people trying to use my camera. 8O

For the first time in a long time, I didn't use the wrist strap on my digital camera. You guessed it: I dropped it (and I was on vacation in Disney to boot) Needless to say, when it is replaced, I will never make the same mistake again...

SHOULD I GIVE HER MY JORNADA 568?

My kids (6.5 and 4) have been using my Jornada for over a year, absolutly no problems. It brings a tear to my eye to go into their room and see them playing games on it! Whenever they are done, it's back in the cradle to charge. It's been this way since I got my 2215 and to this day, I haven't had to do a restore (the cradle they have is for charging only, it isn't hooked up to a computer)...

Steve

ombu
09-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Well, done, it's all hers ... she's already taking pictures with it! :D

As a first step, she's not allowed to handle the device if I'm not arround, I'll be teaching her to use it (pictures, voice notes, simple games) and to take care of her new "toy", after a few weeks she'll be flying all the way by herself. 8)

I secured the main battery and the back-up battery slot too, the cam will stay plugged in with a small cover to protect it when not used.

... and, best of all, it's going to be funny! :wink:

ombu
12-11-2004, 04:37 PM
... and the killer app for a girl (almost 4 y/o) is ... 8O the Best Pocket PC Productivity Application 2004 and it is ... the greatest pacifier ever :twisted: ... and it is ... Phat Pad :clap:, she handles it better than me, both are happy and she's becoming a geek ... :lol:

Sorry, here (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=D6859X165A1FB51D2X1AC86E9F2315B8&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=83676) is the Handango link, buy it and you'll make kids happy, walls and clothes will remain clean, noise pollution will stay in it's lowest levels for a while, just a "look mummy, I work like dad" from time to time and, of course, my old and beloved J568 is still alive.

Regards.

Glohamar
12-12-2004, 03:23 AM
I enjoyed re-reading this post because my 2 1/2 year old son loves to play with my h3955. I will open apMemo and let him draw (more like scribble) while he sits in my lap. I have a screen protector, so he doesn't do any damage. And I will play a movie sometimes that will keep him busy for awhile. My Father-in-law has a h1945 that my son loves to play with also, while sitting on grandpa's lap.