View Full Version : NEED HELP! Problem installing software for iPod on XP OS.

Paula
09-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Has anyone tried to install the iPod Updater and iTunes software on the MS XP Pro machine and had the following error:

"Error 1639 Invalid command. Consult Windows installer SDK for detailed command line help."

Well 4 of us have been working on this for 4 days. What I need is a savy Windows person to help me or someone who has been through this and was utimately successful. I spoke with Apple in the US this morning (4:30am my time) and have tried doing what they suggested to no avail.

PLEEEEZE help if you can. 8O

Thanks
Paula

Darius Wey
09-02-2004, 02:56 AM
What version of iTunes are you trying to install?

Janak Parekh
09-02-2004, 05:04 AM
I've never had that problem, and I've installed iTunes on a pile of machines. :( Sounds like something is messed up with Windows Installer. Wish I could be of more help.

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
09-02-2004, 05:12 AM
Agreed. I've seen this error before, unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on how to help.

Error 1639 indicates an issue with a command line argument. In our case it was a syntax error I think. I do know that it was an issue with our installer in-house which we fixed, so I don't have a lot of light to shed on how you might fix it with someone else's installer though. :?

Have you tried the standard things? Installed on another PC? Are you logged in as a user with Admin rights? It may be something related to permissions.

Either way, good luck. I hope you're able to get it working. I was also surprised that Apple didn't have a fix. :(

dlangton
09-02-2004, 05:33 AM
I'd suggest installing this download (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e96f8abc-62c3-4cc3-93ad-bfc98e3ae4a3&DisplayLang=en) if Apple can't help. At least you'll be able to figure out what the problem might be.

Also, check that the command line for *.msi files is something like this:

"C:\WINNT\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %* (don't what your Windows directory might be.)

You could try doing a manual install of the installer package by opening a run command and typing

msiexec /i "<your installer package>" .

Paula
09-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi guys,
Thanks so much for responding. I can't get anyone at Apple or ipodLounge to even respond to my post.
Someone just sent me an XP installer cleaner. I am going to try this.

DLangton, I'm not sure I know what to type in the <your installer package> area of the command line. I have not typed in a DOS command for about 10 years now.

And how do I check this?

"Also, check that the command line for *.msi files is something like this:

"C:\WINNT\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %* (don't what your Windows directory might be.) "

I have uninstalled SP2 figuring that might help...no such luck, I'm afraid.

DJ I have tried both the version that came with the ipod and the new updated versions of both Updater and iTunes. Neither will load.

Jeff,
Yes, the software installed just fine on another PC and I have checked and have all of the appropriate permissions.

Any other suggestions or questions?

Paula

dlangton
09-02-2004, 03:21 PM
what to type in the <your installer package>

And how do I check this?

"Also, check that the command line for *.msi files is something like this:

"C:\WINNT\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %* (don't what your Windows directory might be.) "

I have uninstalled SP2 figuring that might help...no such luck, I'm afraid.

<your installer package> is the normally accepted way of referring to a piece of software. In your case it would be the Apple msi file. It's the same syntax Microsoft uses in KB articles.

The next reference is simply suggesting that you check the file association type for msi files. I don't use Windows XP (hate it) but somewhere in your Control Panel|Folder Options or Windows Explorer|Folder Options there should be a means of checking/changing file type associations. Of course, you could also edit the registry directly.

I'm betting that your command line in the registry for Windows Installer packages may be screwed. Installing SP2 wouldn't help this problem in any way.

The Windows Installer cleanup tool is a good idea. I had assumed that you had already tried it. It's the first tool I use when I have problems with Windows Installer. Doesn't it come with Windows XP? It should!!

mrkablooey
09-03-2004, 01:57 AM
if you're trying to install it from the disc, forget that and use the download from apple's website. if that doesn't work, you know what you need to do.

Paula
09-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi,

DLangton I will be trying the installer cleanup tool tomorrow. Frankly I am getting very tired of this whole thing. And yes mrkablooey, if the installer cleanup doesn't work I do know what to do...Toss the laptop out the window and sell the ipod. :D

Thanks for all your help and I will let you know what happens next.

Paula

Paula
09-07-2004, 01:20 AM
This is a double post but it as also an update on the ipod situation.

I still haven't been able to load the software. I believe it has something to do with old uninstaller software. or at least something like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Janak,
What kind of PC did you load the software to? was there any issues with USB ports or iTunes destroying anything?

Paula

Janak Parekh
09-07-2004, 04:14 AM
What kind of PC did you load the software to? was there any issues with USB ports or iTunes destroying anything?
I've installed it on a ton of totally different machines. Every machine I own or play music through has it installed. No problems whatsoever. :| And I've had very few issues with USB ports.

--janak