View Full Version : Advice wanted - to GPRS or not to GPRS??

Paul_R
08-31-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I wanted to get a few opions on whether or not it's worth switching to GPRS rather than using the normal GSM connection from my phone to get mail whilst away from home.

When away from home I get my mail via a bluetooth connection from my Ipaq (2210) to my phone. I normally check my mail and send any replies about twice a day and will sync up AvantGo on one of those occasions.

This can take a while over the normal GSM connection (bog standard no high speed connection here!). It makes me quite nostalgic for the old days of slow modems etc. :roll:

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it worth switching over? Has anybody else done the switch and had any problems or setup issues?

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Paul

fmcpherson
08-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi,

I wanted to get a few opions on whether or not it's worth switching to GPRS rather than using the normal GSM connection from my phone to get mail whilst away from home.

When away from home I get my mail via a bluetooth connection from my Ipaq (2210) to my phone. I normally check my mail and send any replies about twice a day and will sync up AvantGo on one of those occasions.

This can take a while over the normal GSM connection (bog standard no high speed connection here!). It makes me quite nostalgic for the old days of slow modems etc. :roll:

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it worth switching over? Has anybody else done the switch and had any problems or setup issues?

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Paul

That's a good question. Give your description for how you use your Internet connection, I am tempted to say that you don't need to switch. Be aware that if you go with GPRS you will pay more than you do today because it is an additional cost beyond your voice minutes.

surur
08-31-2004, 07:53 PM
GPRS is an upgrade. Its going to cost more, but has advantages, which is what you are paying for.

The advantages are of course the always on nature, mainly, and being 3-4 times faster (which is not to be sneezed at when you are downloading text (its too expensive to do pictures over GPRS currently in the UK))

For your current usage GSM is cheaper and more than sufficient. If you want to increase your commitment GPRS will open doors to increased functionality, e.g always on e-mail and MSN or AIM.

So if you have an extra £10-20 per mont to spend, I would advise the upgrade, and you wont regret it. Otherwise GSM will be OK, and save you a lot of money.

Surur