View Full Version : Internet on PDA... website compatibilty

Supaiku
08-31-2004, 06:37 AM
I'm probably gonna get a Dell Axim x30 soon but I was wondering how well exactly websites worked with PIE (or another, non subscription browser). I REALLY wanna know if I can reasonable use www.ocforums.com (pehaps someone can go there in their spare time and let me know :D *begs* :D ).

At first I thought that it just displayed the website as small as it could and then you just scrolled for the larger parts (a lot of scrolling) but from what I have read it seems like there are other problems that make it bad or something... what's the case?

good links to info are welcome too:D

Darius Wey
08-31-2004, 06:45 AM
Pocket IE on Windows Mobile 2003 SE is much improved over the version that was included in Windows Mobile 2003. It automatically fits websites to your screen resolution, although it isn't 100% perfect for all sites.

Remember, what is displayed is limited to the resolution of your device. Expect to do a lot of scrolling at a low resolution and if smart fitting features are disabled.

I personally use NetFront as it's packed with many more features and supports Java (if you have the right version) and I feel is generally well laid out. Other people also prefer Thunderhawk, but whichever one you like is entirely based on a personal decision.

Pocket IE is fine for normal use, but if you're looking for something a little extra that supports more features, I highly recommend a third-party browser.

mrkablooey
08-31-2004, 11:07 AM
ocforums doesn't seem to have a mobile version based on going to the site on my X30. there's some side to side scrolling like pretty much all sites w/o a mobile version. i did a brief search at the forums for "mobile" site but no results. if you frequent those boards, you might want to ask about it. :)

Supaiku
08-31-2004, 02:32 PM
No, there's no mobile site... I just wanna know if the regular one is useable (Can you post in vb3 on a PDA?).

Darius Wey
08-31-2004, 03:29 PM
No, there's no mobile site... I just wanna know if the regular one is useable (Can you post in vb3 on a PDA?).

Their forum format seems pretty similar to most other forum standards out there. You should be able to post just fine from a PPC.

Supaiku
08-31-2004, 05:47 PM
Sounds good:D Thanks:D