View Full Version : Looking for a PIM application -- not what you think

genio
08-31-2004, 04:47 AM
I am the proud owner of a Japanese PocketPC. Since I don't actually speak Japanese, this is something of a problem. Fortunately, the default PIM apps are rather lacking, so I'm not missing out on much.

I've been using PocketInformant for a while (first version 4, and now 5) and while it has its strong points, it's not quite what I want. For one thing, it's quite slow: even on my 400mhz PocketPC, it's nowhere near as responsive as the default PIM. The other significant problem is that, if anything, its complexity has become an obstacle to ease of use.

I went back to my trusty Palm Vx this evening and paid attention to how the default Palm apps worked, and how simple it was to enter all my information. For example, I tried entering a sample contact. All the fields I needed were accessible in 1 screen. I'd fill in one line, and move to the next. It all just worked, it all made sense.

In PocketInformant, however, I had to flip through several tabs, each structured and formatted differently before I finally got all of my contact's information inputted properly. It wasn't very easy, and it wasn't very good.

So now I long for the simplicity of the Palm PIM apps, but I want them to run on the PPC, because I like the platform and what I can do with it.

So my question is this:

Do simple, Palm-like PIM apps exist for the Pocket PC, and if so, where can I acquire them? The features I am most interested in are Outlook integration, speed and a simple, elegant and straight-forward design.

I'm sorry of this question has been asked before, but searching through the forums has been a real challenge. I even tried going through many old topics in the hopes of finding an answer. It seems almost all of you dislike the Palm apps and like PocketInformant, whereas I'm pretty-much the opposite.

And, for what it's worth, I don't care too much about notes, because the built-in notes app works more or less as desired. I also don't mind if the calendar, tasks and contacts are all in one program, like PocketInformant, or separately, like the default apps on the Palm and PocketPC.

Thank you in advance for your help,
genio

PS. Failing this, is there a way to emulate a full Palm on my PocketPC? I don't really want anything after PalmOS 3.5, so the emulator doesn't have to be very advanced. The one result I found was PocketPalm, and that doesn't seem to be available any more.[/b]

ironguy
08-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Outlook integration is part of the PPC OS and will be there regardless of PIM software. Most of the PIMs just pretty up the interface and massage the data.

Take a look at PocketBreeze along with ContactBreeze from www.sbsh.net. They're quite popular right now.

There used to be an interesting PIM called PenAgenda that basically had a simple scrolling calendar. I don't know if it's still around or not. Google away.

Hope you find waht you are looking for.

maymaio
08-31-2004, 11:05 PM
If you don't need all of the full PIM features and only a good powerful display PIM you should really take a look at PocketBreeze and might also check the additional ContactBreeze. You will also enjoy the best support I have ever seen on the Pocket PC market.

thinking
09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
The one thing I miss on ppc PIM programs is the custom fields and user-defined fields I am able to access on my NX80. This (Axim X30) is my first ppc and can't find any PIM that allows this. I know I can spend $$$ and waste RAM by replacing PIM with something like Intellisync.

terrypin
09-02-2004, 07:19 PM
If you don't need all of the full PIM features and only a good powerful display PIM you should really take a look at PocketBreeze and might also check the additional ContactBreeze. You will also enjoy the best support I have ever seen on the Pocket PC market.

Am I right that there's no trial version downloadable please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

ctmagnus
09-02-2004, 11:18 PM
If you click here (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=A7923X93F85X724C37556A5CCECF126F&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=95186), there's a trial link.

terrypin
09-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks, ctmagnus - missed that.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.