View Full Version : Win XP SP2 Firewall and Activesync

SHC
08-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi
I've been using my WiFi enabled iPAQ to activesync with my pc, I have installed the new SP2 for windows XP and until today everything was fine. Now it refuses to sync unless the firewall is off. I have the 2 entries listed in the exceptions but it won't sync unless I turn the firewall off. I've re-installed activesync - enabled disabled etc etc. I've been to microsoft and looked at the firewall trouble shooting guide - everything is as it should be. followed all the advice on Brighthand too. Any ideas? Also if I'm behind a hardware firewall do I still need to use the XP one??
Thanks

Darius Wey
08-31-2004, 02:31 AM
Hi
I've been using my WiFi enabled iPAQ to activesync with my pc, I have installed the new SP2 for windows XP and until today everything was fine. Now it refuses to sync unless the firewall is off. I have the 2 entries listed in the exceptions but it won't sync unless I turn the firewall off. I've re-installed activesync - enabled disabled etc etc. I've been to microsoft and looked at the firewall trouble shooting guide - everything is as it should be. followed all the advice on Brighthand too. Any ideas? Also if I'm behind a hardware firewall do I still need to use the XP one??
Thanks

I have tested the SP2 firewall and it has no problems with ActiveSync, although I don't use their firewall because it's still a little basic for what I need.

However, you have a hardware firewall. Running two firewalls together (whether hardware or software) results in problems. You should only have one firewall enabled. I would personally prefer to use the hardware firewall. Disable the SP2 firewall and see if you get the same problems.

StickyPenguin
08-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Your software firewall (Windows Firewall in this case) shouldn't interfere with your hardware firewall.

It wouldn't hurt to keep the XP Firewall running.

Have you got exceptions for both the ActiveSync Application (C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe) and ActiveSync Connection Manager (C:\Program Files\Utilities\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe)

I've got XP SP2 running and I can sync over wifi no problem.

--
Chris

Darius Wey
08-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Your software firewall (Windows Firewall in this case) shouldn't interfere with your hardware firewall.

Generally that is the case, but there are exceptions where both have not been configured properly so there is collusion with opened and closed ports. This is rare though, although in SHC's case, you never know. :D

apanther28
09-01-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm with DJ Apod. The XP firewall is too basic for what i need. So I use a router and Mcafee. I have had no problems with Activesync.

StickyPenguin
09-01-2004, 08:19 PM
For a software firewall I'd recommend ZoneAlarm from Zone Labs (http://www.zonelabs.com)

Darius Wey
09-02-2004, 03:03 AM
For a software firewall I'd recommend ZoneAlarm from Zone Labs (http://www.zonelabs.com)

I agree. A lot of "software packages" released by Symantec and McAfee fail to deliver the high performance offered by ZoneLabs. There are other good firewalls out there that you can search for. Some are free. In fact, the basic version of ZoneAlarm is free.