View Full Version : Want h2210 to access internet using Bluetooth cell phone, NEED HELP.

unwiredguy
08-30-2004, 04:37 AM
I have a HP Ipaq h2210 and wanted to connect it to the internet VIA a Bluetooth cell phone. I have read some posts here, but they are not answering all of my concerns or needs. I would like to know how the Ipaq comunicates with the cell phone? I believe someone posted said it uses the cell phone as a pass through and connects VIA a cellular provider using GPRS. My question is: Can the cell phone be used for voice calls while it is in connection with the Ipaq? Ideally, I would still want to make and receive calls while on the net as well as like to have the pocket pc connected at all times for instant messaging and for MSN Messenger services. Or is there a way for the cell phone to connect to the Ipaq once it receives an instant message?

My next questions is: Can I use the cell phone as a modem as in dial up to an ISP? I ask this because I can get unlimited airtime usage doing it this way so I don't have to pay the high rates of GPRS usage. My ISP is 295.ca which is by far the cheapest ISP anywhere for only $2.95 Per month unlimited usage. That is why this is so important to me.

I don't have the phone yet, but was leaning towards the Sony Ericcson T610. If anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations, it is greatly appreciated. By the way, my cellular provider is Fido using GSM phones only so please keep that in mind when suggesting phones or other products.

Thanks. :?

gregh2000
08-31-2004, 07:32 AM
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449.

try that site, down in the bluetooth area

scottyhoffo
09-07-2004, 02:35 AM
HI,
I have the same setup you're looking at getting- I've got the 2215 and have a T610, but I have service with T-Mobile.
It was pretty painless to get the phone to hook up to the iPAQ: TMo customer service was very helpful and I had it working in five minutes.
The minutes I use on the internet don't count against my voice minutes, as my internet plan is for "unlimited" minutes, but it does tie up the phone: just today, in fact, I received a voice mail notification while I was busy surfing the net.
I don't know of any instant messaging services for the 2210/phone combo, but that doesn't mean they don't exist- I just got the wireless 'net service hooked up last week! It's really cool.
I would imagine you would use up your minutes quick, fast, and in a hurry if you used a dial-up internet connection, as your phone would think you were, well, on the phone instead of a "data-only" connection.
...just my $.02. I am looking at the h6315 for integrating all the wireless you want into one device... even though I don't need it for work it's still got the "cool" factor!
Good luck!
Scott

unwiredguy
09-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Thanks Scottyhoffo,

I really appreciate your input in this matter. I think I will go with the Sony Ericsson Z600 as this is the upgraded version of the t610. Although it's kind of bulky, it does have some of the bugs in the T610 worked out. The package for the unlimited GPRS usage is too expensive @ $50/month on top of the regular air time plans. Maybe I'll try it out ans see how it goes @ $.03/KB use. I'm sure I'll rack up the MB in no time by surfing graphic intensive web sites.

I don't think the HP 6315 is such a good idea in which it is using a less than stellar processor and that it does have bad reception from what the reviewer's have encountered. I think the best method would still be the Pocket Pc and Cell phone combo using GPRS and bluetooth connection since you get the best of both worlds with both of them doing what each is best at.

You're right about the 'cool factor', but not when it comes to getting an inferior product at a premium price.

Just my $.02.

Thanks.

:)

scottyhoffo
09-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi,
Just saw something else cool for us 2210/-15 owners- a CF card that turns your iPAQ into a cell phone! Convergent Technologies sells them for like $260- not cheap, but far less than $599 or so for the 6315 with slower processor. (... and I would be able to keep my beloved 2215!)
I think I may just have to investigate that one further... :) I still have some time before I'm eligible to upgrade my phone with T-Mo so I may just hang onto the ol' '610 for now, but I'll certainly look into the Z600.

Take care, and wishing you luck with your setup.
Scott

maikii
09-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi,
Just saw something else cool for us 2210/-15 owners- a CF card that turns your iPAQ into a cell phone! Convergent Technologies sells them for like $260- not cheap, but far less than $599 or so for the 6315 with slower processor. (... and I would be able to keep my beloved 2215!)
I think I may just have to investigate that one further... :) I still have some time before I'm eligible to upgrade my phone with T-Mo so I may just hang onto the ol' '610 for now, but I'll certainly look into the Z600.

Take care, and wishing you luck with your setup.
Scott

Think about it though. Do you really want a PPC as your main cell phone? (This also applies to the other guy writing about the 6315, which has had bad reviews, and is very expensive.) Would you consider a PPC to be a good form factor for a cell phone? I don't think so.

You have to consider that here in the US, with GSM service (like T-Mobile, which I also have), you can only have one SIM card activated per phone line. So, if you think you will sometimes use the PPC cell phone, or perhaps only for internet surfing, and other times use your normal cell phone, you should be aware that you will have to switch that one SIM card back and forth between phones every time you switch which device to use. (With the CF card option mentioned, I believe the SIM card goes into the CF card.) That would really be inconvenient. So, if you live in the USA, and do not intend to get a whole separate phone line for the Pocket PC Phone, you better expect to use the PPC all the time as your phone.

To me, that is the problem with PPC Phones, whether it is built as one, or that CF card option.

(Note--apparently in Europe, including with T-Mobile in Europe, you can get more than one SIM card activated to the same phone line. I wish we had that capability here. That of course creates whole different possibilities for using multiple phone devices.)

There is a new PPC phone coming out, the Motorola MPX, that folds up like a clamshell phone. It sounds like a much better option. I think it's supposed to come out early next year.

Otherwise, there are Smartphones, that have a lot of the capabilites of a PPC, but in a normal phone form factor. If you wish to have phone and PPC in one device, I would consider that a better choice, at least until the MPX comes out. Of course, one disadvantage for PPC use is the smaller screen. (I think the MPX will also have a smaller screen than a PPC, although larger than a Smartphone's.) If you get a Smartphone that has Bluetooth, however, per the original post to this thread concerning using Bluetooth to connect the PPC to the phone for modem use, you could use the PPC with its larger screen for Internet surfing, as long as it is in the vicinity of the phone, and still have a normal (more pocketable) phone.

scottyhoffo
09-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Ahhhh I completely forgot about the SIM card thing- that's right!
Yeah, I see how it would be an inconvenience constantly swapping out SIM cards...
If I were to use something like the phone card or a PPC/phone device, I would definitely keep my Bluetooth headset charged up and ready- You're absolutely right, there's no way I would hold something like that up to my ear.
I wasn't aware you weren't able to have multiple SIM cards here... I thought if you bought the device from, say, T-Mobile, if you already had their service they would give you another SIM card. That is pretty crummy eh?

Thanks for the scoop! It's definitely given me more food for thought.

unwiredguy
09-13-2004, 06:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful. Just got my new SE Z600 in the mail the other day and been playing around with it using bluetooth connection with the h2210. It's pretty neat to be able to go online in a matter of a few clicks, but ht espeed is nothing to write home about. It's slow like a 56K dial-up connection, but at least you're online. It's not too bad on mobile sites that are configured for the PPC or even little graphic sites (there isn't too many of these around since I think that the web designers are all expecting people to have high speed internet).

As for the phone itself, it's an average size clamshell phone with lots of features that are too complex to operate. I'm a computer techie and the manual and wording of the manual is the pits. Everytime I open the manual trying to figure out how to do something, you always get the vaguest descriptions. I literally fall asleep each time I open up that manual because it is that useless (good as a sleeping pill replacement).

Anyway, I got the PPC to recognize the Z600 with no problems, but setting up the IP's and DNS, phone #, APN, was a chore since I had to contact FIDO tech support and wait in line to get somewhere.

I was quite surprise about the battery life of the phone, it lasted all day with occasional usage and only a little piece of the battery was taken up. I also tried out the Sony Ericsson Bluetooth BTH-35 headset. It works pretty good except it's a little too big for my liking. It's probably compareable to other BT headsets, but for me it just pinched my ears a little everytime I turned my head. It's not cheap either @ $165 CAN.

I'm still trying to figure out if this phone has speakerphone capabilities: If anyone knows how to use this function, please let me know.

Not too happy.