View Full Version : Custom ringtones for h6315?

stevenf
08-29-2004, 05:17 PM
I dropped a couple MIDI files into /Windows/Rings and was disappointed that, even though I could select them in the phone app, they wouldn't play. It just beeped three times instead.

So what format do ringtones have to be in? Does anyone have a trick to get MIDI files to work?

Sparkomatic
08-29-2004, 05:55 PM
I usually use wav files for my ringtones.

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't have a 6315 so I'm not aware of its ringtone capabilities. But as Sparkomatic says, if .WAV files work, then you can always convert your .MIDI files to .WAV files on your PC, and then transfer them over.

q-live
08-31-2004, 06:38 AM
from what i understand .wav and .wma works

Darius Wey
08-31-2004, 06:42 AM
from what i understand .wav and .wma works

If .WMA works, then instead of a .MIDI to a .WAV conversion, a conversion to .WMA would be much better due to the fact that it's a much smaller file size, and the sound quality of a .MIDI file does not warrant the requirements of a .WAV file.

stevenf
08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Will Windows Media Player on the desktop do a MIDI to WMA conversion, maintaining the small size of the MIDI?

Sorry about the stupid questions -- Windows is not my primary OS.

Darius Wey
08-31-2004, 05:05 PM
If WMP doesn't work, I'm pretty sure Windows Media Encoder will. It's available for free from the Microsoft website.

Ploobers
09-02-2004, 03:10 AM
How do you set a WMA as the ring tone? I've looked but there doesn't seem to be any way to set anything that isn't a part of the set list.

stevenf
09-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Well, I installed Windows Media Encoder and tried to convert the file, but it does not recognize .mid files as a known audio type, so no dice. I made a WAV version with QuickTime Player, but it's like 1,000 times the file size of the MIDI, even on low quality settings.

I think it's a little silly that a $600 phone can't just play a MIDI ringtone, especially when MIDI playback functionality is built into the OS.

MountDan
09-02-2004, 08:59 PM
While I have successfully played .mid on the h6315, when I tried to use it as a ringtone, it was not listed as a choice (yes, i moved it into the Windows directory.)

stevenf
09-03-2004, 05:52 AM
/Windows/Rings is where you want to put it, BUT that won't help because, as we've been discussing, it seems you can't use MIDI files as ringtones for some reason. When selected from the ringtones popup, they just beep three times instead of playing. I'm assuming that means they won't play when a call comes in either.

Ploobers
09-09-2004, 04:41 AM
Whenever I change the ringtone, it works just fine but after a soft reset, it goes back to the default ring. Why does it do that and how do I stop it?