View Full Version : Windows Media No Longer Works

Tigeraif
08-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Hi All

My windows Media for windows Mobile 2003 no longer works.

I loaded on the update but loaded it onto the Storage card instead of the default directory. I then uninstalled and then tried to reinstall to the default directory and now it no longer works no matter what.

I wouldn't wry so much but I use microsoft voice and it needs windows media to work.

Is there someplace to download a standalone of windows media for windows mobile 2003?

I appreciate your help

Gary

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Why were you trying to update your Windows Media on Windows Mobile 2003? It already has the latest version installed.

I believe the best and fastest way to solve your problem would be a hard reset.

Tigeraif
08-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Everything else works fine. I don't want to have to reload everything if I can avoid it.

Is there a standalone version anywhere?

Gary

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Well ultimately, the one available on Microsoft is for pre-Windows Mobile 2003 versions of PPCs, and itself is of an older version than the ones found on Windows Mobile 2003 and 2003 SE devices.

Unless someone has stripped away a WM2003 / WM2003SE ROM file and extracted a Windows Media setup file (which I doubt), your best bet would be to hard reset your device, or update your ROM if possible (which wipes all data anyway).

The ultimate problem here is that a lot of your registry settings and Windows DLLs have probably been modified to suit your overwrited version, and it is a very messy and difficult process to change it all back to its original form.

Alternatively, you could always sit tight and hope that Microsoft releases Windows Media 10 for the Pocket PC. I suspect the one for the PC is due to be released soon, and the Pocket PC may follow soon. 8)