View Full Version : lookin for japanese software

j95pgt
08-28-2004, 02:38 PM
I am a japanese student so I was wondering if anyone can recomend any useful software. I have lived in japan for a year and a half and have studied for 4yrs so I am fairly competent. therefor if the menus are in japanese it is ok. Anway I am looking for something that will allow me to write in simple harigana or katakana so I can make vocab lists to study. That is what I mainly want. I would also like a kanji and normal vocab dictionary. It would be preferable if the dictionaries used kana rather than romanji becaue after reading japanese for 5yrs it is hard to go back to romanji. Thanks for the help!

Darius Wey
08-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Decuma Japanese allows you to write in Kanji and Kana. You can see it here (http://www.decuma.com/pages/products/japanese_recognition.html)

Hope that is of use. :)

I'm not too sure about dictionaries though. But I'm sure someone else can help you there.

j95pgt
08-28-2004, 03:54 PM
that might be just what I need!! thank you for your help. now if I can just track down a decent dictionary.

JPD6825
09-17-2004, 05:10 AM
Are you no longer in Japan? If so, too bad. Sounds like your competence in Japanese is pretty high. Why not just buy a PPC with a Japanese OS? Sounds like a good excuse to hit Akihabara! And think of the incidental benefit of extra security when back in the US - as the average person picking up your PPC will be completely stumped by the Japanese! Good Luck!

j95pgt
09-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Well I bought a laptop here that is all japanese. It is great I have an english winxp disk but I am just sticking with the japanese win. I have a hard time getting things done on it sometimes. Doing normal stuff is fine but when it comes to troubleshooting it is a pain. I can conversate just fine but when it comes to troubleshooting in kanji.... Also I did look at getting a japanese ppc but they are not popular at all here! I would have thought just the oppsite but the guy at the store said that toshiba is discontiuing their ppc. Sony clie is the big seller in japan. I didnt want to buy something that would not be able to be fixed in a year. I was suprised that toshiba is discontinuing their ppc!