View Full Version : Nasty "index.dat" Files

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-28-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm using iPAQ h4150 and I notice that the "index.dat" files at both Windows\Profiles\Guest\Cookies\index.dat and Windows\Profiles\Guest\History\index.dat is getting bigger and bigger in size after each Wi-Fi session. Would like to delete but it always give "Files in use" error, even after a soft rest.

Another thing, everytime I backup my system using Sprite Backup, it'll always give a warning on not being able to backup the above mentioned 'index.dat' files. However, Sprite Backup did manage to procede with the backing up. Any clues?

Any tips on removing index.dat or reducing its size? What about side effects?

Can I delete some of the empty/unused folders - like Program Files\Connections, Windows\Programs, etc?

Darius Wey
08-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Have you tried emptying your cookies volume in the options page of Pocket IE?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Have you tried emptying your cookies volume in the options page of Pocket IE?

Yup, tried that but the two 'index.dat' files still there. There're like God in my h4150... you can't edit, rename, move or delete them :cry:

Kowalski
08-28-2004, 12:54 PM
You can try to move your temp internet files to the storage card. you can find which registry keys are need to be modified on this forum, just do a simple search. This way even if you cant delete the file, the size wont bother you at all since it will be in the storage card

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-28-2004, 01:32 PM
You can try to move your temp internet files to the storage card. you can find which registry keys are need to be modified on this forum, just do a simple search. This way even if you cant delete the file, the size wont bother you at all since it will be in the storage card

Hey, that might work in my favor. Though it's not exactly what you have in mind. I think I'll just change the TIF location to the storage card via registry then remove storage card and insert it into my notebook and delete it from there... hehehe.... and the devil's gone.

Wait... I still need to search for the registry tips on how to change the TIF location. Anyone mind to help out?

ST8
08-28-2004, 01:56 PM
index.dat is microsofts notorius tracker file, it logs every site you visit in a file that is NOT cleared when you clear cookies / temp files, under xp / 2k you can just delete it but in this case it would appear to be locked. You should be able to just delete it without any sideeffects, tried deleting through activesync?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-29-2004, 08:25 AM
index.dat is microsofts notorius tracker file, it logs every site you visit in a file that is NOT cleared when you clear cookies / temp files, under xp / 2k you can just delete it but in this case it would appear to be locked. You should be able to just delete it without any sideeffects, tried deleting through activesync?

I did try to rename/delete it while connected via activesync but it gave me 'file in use' error.

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Do you have a file manager installed which can alter the attributes of a file? Spb Pocket Plus is a good example of one that integrates a feature into File Explorer that allows you to alter the Properties of a file. See if you can uncheck all the attributes (e.g. read-only, archive, etc.) of the file, and try deleting it locally or remotely via ActiveSync.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Do you have a file manager installed which can alter the attributes of a file? Spb Pocket Plus is a good example of one that integrates a feature into File Explorer that allows you to alter the Properties of a file. See if you can uncheck all the attributes (e.g. read-only, archive, etc.) of the file, and try deleting it locally or remotely via ActiveSync.

I'm using Resco Explorer and it only has the archive attribute on. And still, cannot delete it. And Sprite Backup 3.01 still gives warning on not being able to backup that two index.dat file

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Try unchecking the archive option. If that doesn't work, the best bet would be to move your temporary internet files to your storage card. I can do a search for you in the registry to see where these modifications are made.

DHILL
08-29-2004, 09:46 AM
These files are associated with Pocket IE. When you do a Sprite backup, does it ask you to do a soft reset first? Usually a soft reset will allow you to delete and backup these files. If you start PIE, these files get locked and cannot be deleted. Try a soft reset and then delete these file right afterwards. It is OK to delete them, PIE will automatically re-create them when it starts.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Try unchecking the archive option. If that doesn't work, the best bet would be to move your temporary internet files to your storage card. I can do a search for you in the registry to see where these modifications are made.

Tried to delete the 'index.dat' files with archive attribute off but to no avail - file in use. Appreciate your help in searching for the registry tips on changing the TIF location to storage card. I did a search on this also but nothing promising.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-29-2004, 12:02 PM
These files are associated with Pocket IE. When you do a Sprite backup, does it ask you to do a soft reset first? Usually a soft reset will allow you to delete and backup these files. If you start PIE, these files get locked and cannot be deleted. Try a soft reset and then delete these file right afterwards. It is OK to delete them, PIE will automatically re-create them when it starts.

Ya, I'd tried deleting index.dat right after a clean soft-reset but it gave files in use error as well. And Sprite Backup 3.0.1 didn't ask me to soft-reset before backing up too

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 12:19 PM

Tried to delete the 'index.dat' files with archive attribute off but to no avail - file in use. Appreciate your help in searching for the registry tips on changing the TIF location to storage card. I did a search on this also but nothing promising.

Tweaks2K2 .NET (http://www.pc-counselor.com/downloads.htm) allows you to change the storage location of your temporary internet files as well as providing a few quick tips.

But personally, for browsing, I use NetFront which provides much more flexibility in altering the cache and history of my browsing than PIE does.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-29-2004, 12:44 PM

Tweaks2K2 .NET (http://www.pc-counselor.com/downloads.htm) allows you to change the storage location of your temporary internet files as well as providing a few quick tips.

But personally, for browsing, I use NetFront which provides much more flexibility in altering the cache and history of my browsing than PIE does.

Hmm... don't feel like installing any 3rd party browser. It's just that this 'index.dat' files keep increasing in size and I can't delete it.

By the way, can I do it manually via registry instead of installing another 3rd party utility to do it?

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 01:00 PM
By the way, can I do it manually via registry instead of installing another 3rd party utility to do it?

This is what I have yet to find out. It may not be as easy as it sounds, but there is always a way. :wink:

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-29-2004, 05:23 PM

This is what I have yet to find out. It may not be as easy as it sounds, but there is always a way. :wink:

Looking forward for that tip to drop from heaven... :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Looking forward for that tip to drop from heaven...

Okay. Be sure to send them a postcard in appreciation.

Follow these steps (I'm not sure if it will work though):
(Be aware that there is a risk involved with editing the registry - but you've come this far, and I'm sure you couldn't care less. However, make a backup of your registry as a precautionary measure.)

1. Close Pocket IE
2. Move the "Temporary Internet Files", "Cookies", and "History" folders from the "\Windows\profiles\guest" folder to "\Storage Card" (be sure to include all subfolders associated with Temporary Internet Files)
3. Open up your registry editor and backup your registry
4. Navigate your way to the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders"
In there, there should be 3 value names: "Cache", "Cookies", "History"
5. Change the value data of "Cache" to "\Storage Card\Temporary Internet Files\"
6. Change the value data of "Cookies" to "\Storage Card\Cookies"
7. Change the value data of "History" to "\Storage Card\History"
8. Close your registry
9. Soft reset your device
10. Pray that it works. 8)

Please let me know if this does or doesn't work. Either way, I'd like to know. I only thought of this method just then when I was messing around with the registry.

EDIT: I made a few quick updates. Check to see that all steps are followed.

mrkablooey
08-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Expanding on DJ Apod's info, make sure "Storage Card" is labeled properly. On my x30, it is indeed called "Storage Card", but on my 2215, it is "SD Card" or "CF Card". So if you put "Storage Card" in the registry, it may or may not work out.

Darius Wey
08-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Expanding on DJ Apod's info, make sure "Storage Card" is labeled properly. On my x30, it is indeed called "Storage Card", but on my 2215, it is "SD Card" or "CF Card". So if you put "Storage Card" in the registry, it may or may not work out.

Thanks for that update. I was working off my h1945 which only provides an SD card slot. But yes, ultimately, if your PPC has more than 1 slot like the h2215, there is a high chance that "Storage Card" is labelled something else. For DaViD_BRaNDoN's sake, I think he owns an h4150 so there shouldn't be a problem for him, although for everyone else who wants to try it, please take note of what mrkablooey said.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the 'tip-from-heaven' :mrgreen: Will try it out soon. And ya, I'm using h4150 and only Storage Card is applicable