View Full Version : Dell Axim with VGA?

carrigaline
08-28-2004, 04:40 AM
Hi,

Due to various reasons with the current VGAs out there I am (like a lot of others) waiting to see what Dell comes out with.....

I have heard that they promised at CES that they would have a VGA axim which would include the 2700G graphics accelerator chip some time in second half of this year.

The thing I don't get is that with most of the other OEMs we have had various leaks well in advance with draft mock up pictures and fairly good details of what the unit specs will be and approximate prices. But with Dell in this case (my first time paying attention as well too it must be said) I have not come across a sniff of any hard details about the place apart from the odd guess.

Has anyone any good "informed" knowledge of what to expect, when, the shape of the body etc? I'm sure it would help out a lot of us how are waiting to chose which VGA unit to go for.

Thanks!

PetiteFlower
08-28-2004, 04:57 AM
If it was going to come out this year I think we would have heard something by now; I have not but I was out of the loop for a while(no internet = bad!). Maybe next year sometime?

ADBrown
08-28-2004, 07:25 AM
If it was going to come out this year I think we would have heard something by now; I have not but I was out of the loop for a while(no internet = bad!). Maybe next year sometime?

Dell is VERY good at keeping their secrets secret. Generally, even the sites that sign NDAs don't get information until a week or two ahead of the release, and there's very rarely any solid information for anyone before that. I wouldn't rule out a VGA Axim this year at all--could even be as early as mid-September. I do know that around the release of the X30, our Dell contact gave us a sort of nudge-nudge-wink-wink acknowledgement of a VGA Axim planned for the second half of the year.

chunkymonkey75
08-28-2004, 01:28 PM
There is an Axim X50 that is due to come out in the next couple of months. There will be 3 models, the high-end one will have a 3.7" VGA display.

carrigaline
08-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Dell is VERY good at keeping their secrets secret. Generally, even the sites that sign NDAs don't get information until a week or two ahead of the release, and there's very rarely any solid information for anyone before that. I wouldn't rule out a VGA Axim this year at all--could as early as mid-September. I do know that around the release of the X30, our Dell contact gave us a sort of nudge-nudge-wink-wink acknowledgement of a VGA Axim planned for the second half of the year.

- wouldn't it have to appear on the FCC site like the other units recently though? Is that what we should be looking out for? Did the X30 show up there beforehand too?

I saw someone say at another site that the "X50" is in beta right now - which would lead me to believe that it is a Christmas time release .................any thoughts?

carrigaline
08-28-2004, 04:18 PM
[quote="mjpint"]There is an Axim X50 that is due to come out in the next couple of months. There will be 3 models, the high-end one will have a 3.7" VGA display.
quote]

Hi!

Thanks for the heads-up.

If there are 3 models with only one being VGA - then how would the other two be any different to the current X30 models if they body or something is not different? What's the selling point for those?

Thanks!

chunkymonkey75
08-28-2004, 04:18 PM
I think the X50 will come out in soon....but who knows?

chunkymonkey75
08-28-2004, 04:23 PM
There is an Axim X50 that is due to come out in the next couple of months. There will be 3 models, the high-end one will have a 3.7" VGA display.

Hi!

Thanks for the heads-up.

If there are 3 models with only one being VGA - then how would the other two be any different to the current X30 models if they body or something is not different? What's the selling point for those?

Thanks!

The X50 series will have other things to offer

ADBrown
08-28-2004, 07:08 PM
- wouldn't it have to appear on the FCC site like the other units recently though? Is that what we should be looking out for? Did the X30 show up there beforehand too?

I saw someone say at another site that the "X50" is in beta right now - which would lead me to believe that it is a Christmas time release .................any thoughts?

Not likely that it would show up on the FCC first. When asked, they will hold on to a device's documents until after its market release.

mjpint, I'd love see any hard information you've got.

chunkymonkey75
08-28-2004, 08:24 PM

Not likely that it would show up on the FCC first. When asked, they will hold on to a device's documents until after its market release.

mjpint, I'd love see any hard information you've got.

The dimensions of the x50 are very nice

lmtuxinc
08-28-2004, 08:30 PM
does it retain the x5 look or does it have the ugly square x3/x30 look?

chunkymonkey75
08-28-2004, 08:40 PM

It really doesn't look like either one. I would best describe it as the "iPaq" we were hoping for.

I think it looks a bit like the rumored iPaq 2000 series replacement.

mrkablooey
08-28-2004, 08:47 PM
so much for NDA! :lol:

ADBrown
08-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Wireless? Price point?

carrigaline
08-29-2004, 03:53 AM

It really doesn't look like either one. I would best describe it as the "iPaq" we were hoping for.

I think it looks a bit like the rumored iPaq 2000 series replacement.

The HP hx2700 spec is guessed to be as follows:

"The hx2700 series which will be the high end model will feature an Intel X-Scale PXA270 624 MHz processor, 128MB ROM / 64MB RAM, 64MB file store, Windows Mobile 2003SE, 3.5" Transflective QVGA, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 802.11b, SDIO and CompactFlash slots, Cradle, and a 1440mAh removable battery." (ipaqabilities)

So the X50 would be something similar in form factor, have a VGA screen in the high model (surely the specs would have to be similar to the above 2700 so) and have the Intel 2700G graphics accelerator chip. It would have to have a similar battery to be useful too. If it had that kind of spec and Consumer IR then that thing would grab a huge share of the market for Dell.................does all of this sound too good? :| :?

chunkymonkey75
08-29-2004, 06:25 AM
so much for NDA! :lol:

Maybe I lied about the whole thing, and just like to stir things up a little.

Vidge
08-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Bargain PDA is reporting some info on the X50 http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2201

mrkablooey
08-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Bargain PDA is reporting some info on the X50 http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2201

it's all the same stuff you can read if you just scroll up a bit. :wink: mjpint, you're becoming quite popular!

Vidge
08-29-2004, 10:28 PM

it's all the same stuff you can read if you just scroll up a bit. :wink: mjpint, you're becoming quite popular!

Yep, I knew it was the same. Figured I'd let mjpint know others were picking it up, just in case it could be traced back to him. BrightHand picked it up, too.

Sven Johannsen
08-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Maybe I lied about the whole thing, and just like to stir things up a little.

I'm sure there is at least some truth to the assertion that Dell is making a VGA model. If none of the rest is true, I will be greatly ammused by the dissemination this is getting. Heck there are even peripherals being built that support it now :)

mrkablooey
08-30-2004, 01:25 AM

Yep, I knew it was the same. Figured I'd let mjpint know others were picking it up, just in case it could be traced back to him. BrightHand picked it up, too.

Yeah I saw that too, he's getting quite popular. :wink:

ultraman
08-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Will X50 have Camera and USB Host capabilities?

Zero101
08-30-2004, 04:57 PM
If it has USB hosting, I might buy it over the Asus... especially considering the low price-point Dell general shoots for. Can't wait to see what happens :)

CTSLICK
08-30-2004, 09:31 PM

USB Hosting?....cool but not a deal breaker. What's everybody's big plans for USB hosting? Just curious

Camera...I really hope not...don't want it, don't need it, don't wanna pay extra for it. Maybe they can make it an option.

zqlb
08-30-2004, 10:54 PM

USB Hosting?....cool but not a deal breaker. What's everybody's big plans for USB hosting? Just curious

Camera...I really hope not...don't want it, don't need it, don't wanna pay extra for it. Maybe they can make it an option.

Most people I talked to don't like the low Quality camera in PDA, but usb host is very nice to have: very likely people will have a big digital storage(Gmini220 like device with 20-40G HD) when on the move for their digital camera and PPC. With USB host, PPC can fetch MP3, GPS maps, documents from the external harddrive to SD/CF.
Another nice to have is 128MB buildin flash. Most people like bigger RAM but actually for PPC you don't run lots programs together like a PC, so if I have to choose between RAM and Flash, I choose Flash to install more 3rd party applications and use SD/CF only for data storage.

MacBirdie
08-30-2004, 11:07 PM

Some extra temporary storage for instance? A USB keyboard? There are a few actually practical applications. ;)

CTSLICK
08-30-2004, 11:15 PM
...but usb host is very nice to have: very likely people will have a big digital storage(Gmini220 like device with 20-40G HD) when on the move for their digital camera and PPC. With USB host, PPC can fetch MP3, GPS maps, documents from the external harddrive to SD/CF.

Is this truly a universal thing or will it require drivers and tinkering to get it to work?

CTSLICK
08-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Some extra temporary storage for instance? A USB keyboard? There are a few actually practical applications. ;)

Hmmm...ok...keyboards could be compelling. Do most new keyboards come as usb now...sorry for the ignorance but its been 4 years since I even looked at a new desktop PC or peripherals.

MacBirdie
08-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Do most new keyboards come as usb now...sorry for the ignorance but its been 4 years since I even looked at a new desktop PC or peripherals.
Most of the manufacturers make keyboards with either PS/2 or USB plug and some of them make really cool, laptop-like keyboards very suitable for handhelds.

CTSLICK
08-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Do most new keyboards come as usb now...sorry for the ignorance but its been 4 years since I even looked at a new desktop PC or peripherals.
Most of the manufacturers make keyboards with either PS/2 or USB plug and some of them make really cool, laptop-like keyboards very suitable for handhelds.

Thanks for that nugget of knowledge 8) and soooo...getting myself back on topic, an X50 with USB host as an added feature would be nice. Still not a deal breaker...but nice.

pdafreak
08-31-2004, 01:20 AM
Has anyone even gotten a keyboard to work with another model PDA? Are there even any other PDAs that offer this feature?

SteveHoward999
08-31-2004, 01:39 AM
Has anyone even gotten a keyboard to work with another model PDA? Are there even any other PDAs that offer this feature?

I bought a cute little Packard Bell Night Glow USB keyboard. It plugs into my Toshiba E750 USB port and works right out of the box.

Steve

pdafreak
08-31-2004, 01:42 AM

I bought a cute little Packard Bell Night Glow USB keyboard. It plugs into my Toshiba E750 USB port and works right out of the box.

Steve

Packard Bell?!? Are they still around?

hollis_f
08-31-2004, 07:31 AM
...but usb host is very nice to have: very likely people will have a big digital storage(Gmini220 like device with 20-40G HD) when on the move for their digital camera and PPC. With USB host, PPC can fetch MP3, GPS maps, documents from the external harddrive to SD/CF.

Is this truly a universal thing or will it require drivers and tinkering to get it to work?

IIRC one of the last PDAs announced by Casio had USB hosting. And it flopped big-time as they didn't bother writing any drivers.

However, it'd be very interesting if a USB PDA worked with Belkin's USB Bridge.

CTSLICK
08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
...IIRC one of the last PDAs announced by Casio had USB hosting. And it flopped big-time as they didn't bother writing any drivers.

See that's what I recall too..."USB hosting wahoo! oh wait, nothing works without serious user intervention." But maybe since USB has aged a bit its closer to being a standard that should allow some plug and play action on a PDA.

PPCRules
08-31-2004, 10:25 PM
See that's what I recall too..."USB hosting wahoo! oh wait, nothing works without serious user intervention."
Now, that sounds like Bluetooth to me.

For USB to really work right, I'd want to see Microsoft write it natively into the OS.

urugoof
08-31-2004, 11:16 PM
I have a Toshiba e800 which has USB host capabilities and it rules! All you have to do is take about 30 seconds to install a generic mass storage driver, and any USB storage device will work flawlessly on your device.

I have an iRiver 20GB mp3 player and I can plug it into Toshi and transfer any files I want. I can even stream high resolution movies from my iRiver to Toshi. You can even plug in a USB card reader. (not nearly as cool, but it's nice to be able to read a Memory Stick if you have a Sony camera)

It's a very cool feature which gives your device even more of the "cool" factor.

acailawen
09-01-2004, 12:54 AM
I bought a Sprint PCS folding infrared keyboard on eBay for ten bucks. It's a nice keyboard and I like it, but those keys sure are tiny! Small hands required! lol.

As for the Axim x50, a Dell sales rep confirmed yesterday that they are coming out "soon," but he didn't have a date. In fact, he had to ask a manager about it, because he was unaware a new model was actually in the works. He said that they usually know all about a new model at least a month before its release, and he'd heard nothing thus far, so his impression was that it was likely going to be released a little further down the road, perhaps at Christmas time. He also told me that his impression was that the initial price would likely be around $450 - $550 base price for the model with the VGA screen, IF the specs we are hearing is true.

I was hoping to get a bit more confirmation on a date for the x50, as I'm about to purchase the x30 at week's end, and would be willing to wait if it was coming out in October. Looks like I may just have to upgrade next year, as December is too long for me to wait.

Oh, I did get confirmation from HP that the 4700 series iPaqs are being released this Friday... but they don't have accidental damage insurance, which is why I chose Dell. Maybe Dell will hurry things up now that the iPaq being released this week! We can only hope.

Now, about USB hosting. Question. I take it that isn't an option on the x30? Is it because they lack the USB drivers? Is there a way to work around it? USB would be cool because of all the *accessories* that would be available (cd burner, printer, keyboards, etc.) Honestly, I think Bluetooth would be great if it wasn't still so limited. I haven't been able to find bluetooth storage devices anywhere. Anyone know if they've come out yet, or are in the works?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Acailawen

urugoof
09-01-2004, 01:35 AM
acailawen,

Unfortunately the USB host feature is actually part of the hardware configuration and thus can't be added with just software. I don't know if this is correct, but I seem to remember hearing that there was a CF card that added USB host capabilities to a device.

Keep in mind that the only USB peripherals that will work are ones that have drivers for the Pocket PC. I don't think there are any printers or burners or such that have drivers yet. I think we are currently limited to storage and input devices.

Bluetooth is cool, but as far as I know, it is fairly slow compared to your average USB connection. Of course it is nice to not have a bunch of wires sticking out all over the place.

CTSLICK
09-01-2004, 03:53 AM
See that's what I recall too..."USB hosting wahoo! oh wait, nothing works without serious user intervention."
Now, that sounds like Bluetooth to me.

For USB to really work right, I'd want to see Microsoft write it natively into the OS.

True, but WiFi has its warts for me. Bluetooth has worked pretty decent for me. Phone to PDA for internet was easy (T-Mobile and Sprint) and PDA to Powerbook file transfers have been easy too. ActiveSync with my Win2k desktop was a quirky set up that is still somewhat tempermental.

So bluetooth is still a deal breaker for me, I must have a wireless means to connect my PDA to the internet (and no...I don't want a converged device)

CTSLICK
09-01-2004, 03:54 AM
I have a Toshiba e800 which has USB host capabilities and it rules! All you have to do is take about 30 seconds to install a generic mass storage driver, and any USB storage device will work flawlessly on your device.

I have an iRiver 20GB mp3 player and I can plug it into Toshi and transfer any files I want. I can even stream high resolution movies from my iRiver to Toshi. You can even plug in a USB card reader. (not nearly as cool, but it's nice to be able to read a Memory Stick if you have a Sony camera)

It's a very cool feature which gives your device even more of the "cool" factor.

Now that does sound pretty cool.

Duncan
09-02-2004, 02:48 AM

When I tested the Loox 720 it recognised and played movies/music from my MuVo 2 mp3 player without any need to install a driver. Pure plug and play USB hosting! :)

stevekc
09-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Bummer - I see the gag order on the FCC posting the User's manual is Oct 14!

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Sum&calledFromFrame=N&RequestTimeout=500&application_id=436164&fcc_id='NM8HC3UL'

Looks like a Nov 1st release date for the X50 is more accurate.