View Full Version : Calling All Calligrapher Users

Brad Adrian
08-27-2004, 11:00 AM
I don't want to start another long debate about which Pocket PC input method is the best, but I just want to state that I really, really like PhatWare's Calligrapher. For me, it makes text entry fast and accurate.<br /><br />One of the features I've always liked about Calligrapher is its macro-like PenCommander module. At its basic level, PenCommander allows users to create shortcuts for frequently-entered text strings. At its most extensive level, PenCommander allows users to build fairly sophisticated macros that can include everything from mathematical formulas to dialog calls. The thing is, I've never really taken full advantage of Calligrapher's more sophisticated macro-building capabilities.<br /><br />So, if any of you other Calligrapher users out there have any macros or shortcuts that you think are kinda unique and/or useful, why don't you post them here so we can all seem them? And, hey, I'll tell you what...I'll even give the reader who posts the coolest (as defined and determined by our fine panel of cosmopolitan judges) Calligrapher macro a cool little prize!

robshobs
08-27-2004, 02:10 PM
While one of the more common uses of PenCommander is to create macros to ease data input, I have used PenCommander to create several macros to automate repetitive tasks involving other applications.

Turn On/Off WiFi
Dial GPRS Connection via BT
Switch Network Profile - Home, Work or Bluetooth

Each of the above are things I do often but take a lot of clicks and are a pain to have to do.

With PenCommander, you can call a macro via the command line. I created seperate shortcut files for each macro and associated a unique icon with each. I then have them placed on my Today screen using Battery Bar Pro.

I believe the PenCommander is a great tool for automating so many things. I am amazed at the functionality it contains.

Rob

Sven Johannsen
08-27-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm really looking forward to this thread. I too have been using Calligrapher forever, but haven't used the extensibility beyond making some text phrases easier. My favorite feature is the pop-up full keyboard. With that at my disposal, and the ability to set Calligrapher as the default SIP, I forget the others even exist. Can't wait for some of the great ideas I know are going to show up here. I may have to go back and read the instructions to see how you do some of those things;)

Brad Adrian
08-27-2004, 03:17 PM
My favorite feature is the pop-up full keyboard.
I like the keyboard, too. I also like the customizable toolbar, where you can put icons for cutting, pasting, etc. Even though there are Calligrapher gestures cutting and pasting, I use the icons. Plus, I REALLY like the ESC key you can put on the toolbar. I get so frustrated with applications like Calendar where you can't easily cancel things like completing a form. With the ESC button, you can.

This also reminds me that I ought to see if the folks at PhatWare have anything to add...

Jon Westfall
08-27-2004, 03:21 PM
I created seperate shortcut files for each macro and associated a unique icon with each.

Can you give me a quick explanation of how to create such a shortcut? I'm a pretty novice pencommander user, really not having the time to play with it much. I think I will now though... ;)

ikesler
08-27-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm really looking forward to this thread. I too have been using Calligrapher forever, but haven't used the extensibility beyond making some text phrases easier. My favorite feature is the pop-up full keyboard. With that at my disposal, and the ability to set Calligrapher as the default SIP, I forget the others even exist. Can't wait for some of the great ideas I know are going to show up here. I may have to go back and read the instructions to see how you do some of those things;)

Absolutely!
I use the basic commands often to enter repetative text like call, re:, Pick up, Don't forget to, etc. and love the ability to enter them quickly. But as far as more complex I have launch PI and that is about it! I would love to see how people are using this option!

PeteTh
08-27-2004, 03:40 PM
A simple pencommander macro that I use in PocketIE enters :-

www..com

then leaves the cursor between the two dots, ready to type in a web site address.

You have to use the advance mode for this.
It's pretty simple but one I use very often.

abl00m
08-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Turn On/Off WiFi

Rob

That's a great idea, could you post the macro for how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

PatrickD
08-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Here is one. Lets say you email someone frequently. This macro opens inbox, starts a new email message, fills in the email address and subject field, Types a greeting on the first line and leaves the cursor ready for you to type your message. I found I had to play with the &lt;#Delay> length a bit to get it to work reliably.

//Open mail client
&lt;#Start>"tmail.exe"
&lt;#Delay>3000
&lt;#BtnClick>14,306
&lt;#Delay>3000
&lt;#Type>[email protected]
&lt;#Delay>100
&lt;#BtnClick>72,52
&lt;#Type>Daily Status Update
&lt;#Delay>100
&lt;#BtnClick>5,70
&lt;#BtnRlse>5,70
&lt;#Type>Hello Bill,&lt;*return>
&lt;*return>

robshobs
08-27-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm tied up at work. Sometime this weekend, I'll post my PenCommander macros, intructions for creating a shortcut and how to associate an icon.

Rob

Jon Westfall
08-27-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm tied up at work. Sometime this weekend, I'll post my PenCommander macros, intructions for creating a shortcut and how to associate an icon.

Rob

Thanks Rob, you rock.

ikesler
08-27-2004, 05:37 PM
After ten posts...... I have learned good stuff already! NICE!

JamesM
08-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Not too complex, but a list of simple text strings:

appt -> appointment
ave -> avenue
bday -> birthday
bkgd -> background
bc -> because
blvd -> boulevard
cmas -> Christmas
ctr -> center
intl -> international
btw -> by the way,
fwiw -> for what it’s worth
rd -> road
rxn -> reaction
st -> street
vs -> versus
wo -> without
mtg -> meeting
mtw -> meeting with
wko -> work on
lk4 -> look for
cko -> check out
pu -> pick up
fu -> follow-up
w -> with
contd -> continued
dl -> download
xfer -> transfer
mnote -> Meeting Notes
bday -> birthday
bfast -> breakfast
pgs -> pages
bfastw -> "Breakfast with" ...
lchw -> "Lunch with" ...
dinw -> "Dinner with" ...
eml -> email

-James

ctitanic
08-27-2004, 06:10 PM

Rob

That would be greate, I can't wait to see how you have done that.

Tye
08-27-2004, 06:34 PM
From a similar subject I posted on the Calligrapher support forum over at TekGuru:

Macro: wink
&lt;#type> ;) &lt;-- Well, you get the idea...

Macro: phone &lt;--This would be better if we could set the "thumb tack" on the custom keyboard. This macro is helpful for me because I've set up the custom keyboard to resemble a phone dial pad.
&lt;#type>()&lt;*left>
&lt;#custkrbd>
&lt;#RecMode>2

Macro: quote
&lt;#type>""&lt;*left>

Macro: norm
&lt;#RecMode>0

Macro: num
&lt;#RecMode>2

Macro: inet
&lt;#RecMode>3

I use norm and num a lot because I have turned off the Calligrapher toolbar. The only time I used it was to switch between recognition modes.

cab124
08-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Are the handwriting recognition capabilities of Calligrapher much better than Transcriber? I use Transcriber all the time with decent results. Is it worth the upgrade??

Thanks!!

PatrickD
08-27-2004, 07:27 PM
This is one folks here might find useful. It starts ie and navigates to everyones favourite web site PPCT :D

// Run internet explorer
&lt;#Start>iexplore.exe
&lt;#Delay>2000
&lt;#BtnClick>5,36
&lt;#Type> http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com
&lt;#BtnClick>228,38
&lt;#BtnRlse>228,38

BTW if you don't know how to set up a macro it is really quite easy.

Step 1 - start Pen Commander. This can be done by clicking the icon on th CalliGrapher toolbar, or like any other program through Start -> programs

Step 2 - You will probably see a list of sample macros that come with the product. There are two types of macros. Simple text macros and more advanced ones that have commands. There are two icons at the bottom right (a box with TXT and another beside it) that let you select just text macros or advanced. Click on the advanced button.

Step 3 - Click the icon that looks like a script with a blue star on the left side. This creates a new macro.

Step 4 - Give the macro a name. e.g. PPCT

Step 5 - Enter the macro from above or modify it however you like.

Step 6 - Click ok

Step 7 - Use your macro. To use it write PPCT and draw a circle around it and the macro will be excecuted. You can run these macros from anywhere.

You can also assign any macro to a toolbar icon.

Step 1 - Select CalliGrapher Settings from either the toolbar or through Start -> programs.

Step 2 - Click the toolbar tab.

Step 3 - There are three user assignable buttons (1, 2, 3) in the bottom right. Click on one of these.

Step 4 - Click the Configure button

Step 5 - You now have a choice between simple or menu. Simple means when you click that button one command will be executed. Menu means a menu with several commands (of your choosing) will be displayed. If you pick simple just pick the command you want from the drop down box. If you pick menu put a check mark next to all the commands you want to appear in the pop up menu when the button is clicked.

Step 6 add your new button to the toolbar by dragging it up to the toolbar along the top.

Now you can execute your macro by clicking the toolbar button or writting it on the screen and drawing a circle around it.

PatrickD
08-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Are the handwriting recognition capabilities of Calligrapher much better than Transcriber? I use Transcriber all the time with decent results. Is it worth the upgrade??

Thanks!!

I have no scientific evidence to support my belief, but I find Calligrapher more accurate. I tried transcriber when I got my pocket PC and I quickly gave up on it. Then I discovered Calligrapher and I use it all the time.

Jon Westfall
08-27-2004, 07:40 PM
FYI: There is a program on phatware.com's site called Visual Pencommander (Or something like that) that lets you download a desktop macro editing client. Its freeware, and (at least 6 mo. ago when I downloaded it) should be there.

Sorry, don't remember the direct link.

DrtyBlvd
08-27-2004, 08:48 PM

Thanks!!

I have no scientific evidence to support my belief, but I find Calligrapher more accurate. I tried transcriber when I got my pocket PC and I quickly gave up on it. Then I discovered Calligrapher and I use it all the time.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'Transcriber' really 'Calligrapher' re-named? I thought MS got it from Phatware in the first place :?:

ctitanic
08-27-2004, 08:53 PM

Thanks!!

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'Transcriber' really 'Calligrapher' re-named? I thought MS got it from Phatware in the first place :?:

Transcriber is a calligrapher lite, I believe.

stephenwalter
08-27-2004, 10:14 PM
[quote="ctitanic

Transcriber is a calligrapher lite, I believe.[/quote]

Yes that's right. But remember, it's not just lite, but, I think, the lite version of Calligrapher as it was when Microsoft licensed it for the Pocket PC 2000 version of CE. Calligrapher is at least two versions on from there, with improvements in the basic recognition engine (and elsewhere of course). Maybe 2003 and/or 2003 SE got the upgrade, maybe not.

My first PPC was a Toshiba E310, and transcriber was Ok on that, but wasnt' the full bottle. So I downloaded the Calligrapher trial, squeezed it into the e310 and haven't looked back. IIRC, I paid up for it three days after loading it. As others in this thread, I use Calligrapher pretty well exclusively. The one exception is Pocket Excel, where I find that Calligrapher is a little fiddly for entering formulas, so I resort to the builtin Letter recogniser for this.

Brad Adrian
08-27-2004, 10:48 PM
You're right, stephenwalter. It used to be that the recognition engines were the same, but they have diverged. I've even found that I only have to adjust the recognizer for a couple of letters; most of the time, it's spot on.

BUT... Why can't it recognize contractions? I can write just as plainly as can be, yet it won't recognize "didn't."

Jacob
08-27-2004, 11:01 PM
I gave up somewhat on Calligrapher just because it seemed to sometimes have no problem with my handwriting and at other times it would just refuse to recognize it properly.

The recognition has gotten better from v6 to v7, but it's still somewhat inconsistent and a bit frustrating.

PatrickD
08-27-2004, 11:44 PM
You're right, stephenwalter. It used to be that the recognition engines were the same, but they have diverged. I've even found that I only have to adjust the recognizer for a couple of letters; most of the time, it's spot on.

BUT... Why can't it recognize contractions? I can write just as plainly as can be, yet it won't recognize "didn't."

Typically I don't have problems with contractions, but often commas are interpreted as periods.

stephenwalter
08-28-2004, 12:28 AM
It's not contractions per se, but punctuation can be problematic. These and other problems can be mitigated by making sure you write large enough. The user doco advises writing at about 16 point and goes on to advise the most useful way of finding out how big that is. Open Pocket word or some other text editor, set the font size to 16 and type some stuff using the keyboard. Then practice writing that big.
Even with troublesome punctuation, requiring the popup keyboard sometimes to fix errors, I get a much higher input rate using Calligrapher than any other of the input methods.

robshobs
08-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Here are some of the macros I created and commonly use. We'll start with some simple macros and work our way up.

A couple of notes. First, I have an IPAQ 5550. Some of the applications are specific to the IPAQ. Second, where you see a “Delay” command, you may need to alter the wait period to suit your PPC.

Macro Name: ro
Description: Types my e-mail address
//[email protected]
&lt;#Type>[email protected]

Macro Name: x
Description: Performs a Ctrl-X which is the keyboard Cut command. I created one for Paste (Ctrl-V) and Copy (Ctrl-C).
//Cut (Ctrl+X)
&lt;#Type>&lt;*ctr_dn>x&lt;*ctr_up>

Macro Name: da
Description: Types “Delta to Atlanta” and then positions the cursor before the word to. I fly through Atlanta often and when I create an appointment with the flight, I execute the macro in the name field. I can then enter the flight number, i.e. “Delta 1234 to Atlanta”. I have several of these for common airports I use.
//Delta to Atlanta
&lt;#Type>Delta to Atlanta&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>&lt;*left>

Macro Name: nj
Description: Enters my proxy information from the network settings screen. First need to position the cursor in the HTTP proxy box then execute the macro.
//Proxy
&lt;#Type>nj.proxy.xxxxx.com&lt;*tab>80&lt;*tab>&lt;*tab>&lt;*tab>nj.proxy.xxxxx.com&lt;*tab>80&lt;*return>
&lt;*return>
&lt;*return>

Macro Name: att
Description: Creates a GPRS connection via my cell phone using Bluetooth.
//GPRS Dial
&lt;#Start>"\Windows\BTConnManagerCE.exe"
&lt;#Delay>2750
&lt;#BtnClick>110,90
&lt;#BtnClick>110,90
&lt;#Delay>2250
&lt;#BtnClick>55,90
&lt;#BtnClick>55,90
//Top Row 40,90 110,90 180,90
//Middle Row 40,165
//Bottom Row 40,240

The comments at the bottom of this (and other) macro describes the icon positions within the Bluetooth Connection Manager. The screen shows three rows of three icons. The top row (90 pixels down) has icons 40, 110 and 180 pixels from the left. The middle row is 165 pixels down and the bottom row 240 pixels down.

Macro Name: bts
Description: Start a Bluetooth Activesync
//BT ActiveSync
&lt;#Start>"\Windows\BTConnManagerCE.exe"
&lt;#Delay>2500
&lt;#BtnClick>40,165
&lt;#BtnClick>40,165
&lt;#Delay>6500
&lt;#BtnClick>229,10
//Top Row 40,90 110,90 180,90
//Middle Row 40,165
//Bottom Row 40,240

Macro Name: wf
Description: Turn off all wireless (BT and WiFi). This uses the IPAQ application.
//Wireless Off
&lt;#Start>wirelesscenter
&lt;#Delay>2500
&lt;#BtnPress>70,235
&lt;#Delay>200
&lt;#BtnRlse>70,235
&lt;#Delay>500
&lt;#BtnClick>229,10

Macro Name: wo
Description: Turn off all wireless (this is to insure that BT is turned off) and then turn on the WiFi. This uses the IPAQ application.
//WiFi On
&lt;#Start>wirelesscenter
&lt;#Delay>2000
&lt;#BtnPress>70,235
&lt;#Delay>200
&lt;#BtnRlse>70,235
&lt;#Delay>1500
&lt;#BtnPress>180,100
&lt;#Delay>200
&lt;#BtnRlse>180,100
&lt;#Delay>500
&lt;#BtnClick>229,10

Macro Name: work
Description: Changes the network settings to “Work”.
//Select Work Settings
&lt;#Start>\Windows\ctlpnl.exe cplmain.cpl,19
&lt;#Delay>1000
//Click Advanced tab
&lt;#BtnClick>66,284
&lt;#Delay>500
//Click Select Networks
&lt;#BtnClick>180,110
&lt;#Delay>500
//Internet Dropdown
//First Setting 105,115
//Second Setting 105,130
//Third Setting 105,145
&lt;#BtnPress>225,100
&lt;#Delay>250
&lt;#BtnRlse>225,100
&lt;#Delay>250
&lt;#BtnClick>105,130
&lt;#Delay>250
//Private network 225,185
//First Setting 105,200
//Second Setting 105,215
//Third Setting 105,230
&lt;#BtnPress>225,185
&lt;#Delay>250
&lt;#BtnRlse>225,185
&lt;#Delay>250
&lt;#BtnClick>105,215
&lt;#Delay>250
//Click OK
&lt;#BtnClick>230,10
&lt;#Delay>1000
&lt;#BtnClick>230,10
&lt;#Delay>1000
&lt;#ShowMsg>Work settings are now configured.

I'll add another post about creating the shortcuts and icons.

Rob

robshobs
08-28-2004, 01:49 AM
OK. Here is a brief explaination of how to create the PenCommander shortcut and attach an icon. For the dirty details, go to http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103226 and follow all the links. There's a lot of good information and it takes some time to digest.

Lets say I wanted to make a shortcut for to turn on my WiFi using the macro in my previous post. I create a shortcut for PenCommander and then alter the command line as follows:

"\Program Files\CalliGrapher\PenCmd.exe" /M wo?\Program Files\RDHIcons.dll,-601

Note: You must include the quotes!

The "/M wo" tells PenCommander to execute a macro with the name of "wo".

The remainder of the command line associates an icon from the .dll file. I created my own icon file and have attached it here. The link above gives you some ideas on how to view the various icons.

Problem: I can't see how to attach a file. Does PPCT allow file attachments?

Rob

Jon Westfall
08-28-2004, 01:59 AM
http://www.phatware.com/index-download.html is the download link for Visual PenCommander (Free).

ziggy
08-28-2004, 02:26 AM
One of the things that I really miss from, dare I say it, Palm, is the ablility to a "phone lookup" from any other PIM application. For example, you type Call Rob, and then draw a diagonal line, and the palm will lookup Rob's phone number and insert it into the Task or Appointment automatically. Does anyone know a way to get Calligrapher (or any other program for that matter) to do that?

Thanks,

Tye
08-28-2004, 06:01 AM

I added a lot of contractions to my custom dictionary and that seems to help.

Tye
08-28-2004, 06:04 AM
One of the things that I really miss from, dare I say it, Palm, is the ablility to a "phone lookup" from any other PIM application. For example, you type Call Rob, and then draw a diagonal line, and the palm will lookup Rob's phone number and insert it into the Task or Appointment automatically. Does anyone know a way to get Calligrapher (or any other program for that matter) to do that?

Thanks,

I've been thinking about this lately too. It would be nice to have a program like Newton Intelligence that is system wide on the PPC. THAT would make a really nice project for some programmer looking for new ideas. :devilboy:

Bilko
08-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Does anyone have a macro that allows you to amend a word so that only the first letter is a capital? This is the only feature I can find that is superior in transcriber, where this as a standard correction feature.

robshobs
08-28-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks,

Well, I can't figure out how to get the number copied from PI but here is a script that will take a name, copy it, load Pocket Informant and then look it up. You can subsititue Contacts for PI. You could name the script "L" so it is easy to access. Just make sure the cursor is somewhere on the name you want looked up.

//Copy Name and Lookup
&lt;#Type>&lt;*ctr_dn>&lt;*left>&lt;*ctr_up>
&lt;#Type>&lt;*shift_dn>&lt;*ctr_dn>&lt;*right>&lt;*ctr_up>&lt;*shift_up>
&lt;#Type>&lt;*ctr_dn>c&lt;*ctr_up>
&lt;#Start>"\Windows\PITab.exe" 5
&lt;#Delay>2000
&lt;#BtnClick>110,40
&lt;#Type>&lt;*ctr_dn>v&lt;*ctr_up>

Rob

Exempli Gratia
08-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Macro Name: x
Description: Performs a Ctrl-X which is the keyboard Cut command. I created one for Paste (Ctrl-V) and Copy (Ctrl-C).
//Cut (Ctrl+X)
&lt;#Type>&lt;*ctr_dn>x&lt;*ctr_up>

A usuful addition to the cut/copy/paste is to use the PenCommander variables to create extra cut buffers. For instance:

Macro: C2
Code:
//Copy selected text to str#2
&lt;#CallLib>UsrEmptyClipboard
&lt;#Type>&lt;*ctr_dn>c&lt;*ctr_up>
&lt;#Delay>400
&lt;#CallLib>UsrSetStrFromClipboard 2

Macro: P2
Code:
//Paste from string 2
&lt;#Type>&lt;*str2>

Brad Adrian
09-11-2004, 03:07 AM
Does anyone have a macro that allows you to amend a word so that only the first letter is a capital? This is the only feature I can find that is superior in transcriber, where this as a standard correction feature.
Here's how you fix capitalization errors:

To change capitalization of the first (or any one) character, place the cursor to the immediate left of that character and do a quick upward gesture on the screen.

To change capitalization of the entire word, double-tap the word to highlight the whole word, then perform an upward gesture.

Badandy
09-12-2004, 01:55 AM
Hi everybody. I was inspired by this thread to create my very first pen command. While it is VERY simple, it has helped me a great deal in addition to the ones already posted.

nt
//Start New Task
&lt;#Start>tasks
&lt;#Delay>1000
&lt;#BtnPress>10,310
&lt;#BtnRlse>10,310

Thats it. What it does, is it opens the tasks program and clicks the "new button" on the bottom. the blinking cursor goes to the subject line. Thanks for everything you advanced pen commanders! Just for the record, I did think of putting "ButtonClick" on the last two lines, but for some reason it brought up the edit menu. This works perfectly though.[/b]

Badandy
09-12-2004, 02:12 AM
I have an idea. How cool would it be if we made this:

A pencommand that would first turn off all wireless (to make sure bluetooth is off like the other pencommand) then turn on wifi. Make a delay sufficiently long enough to associate with an access point, then open mail and click the connect button. and if wifi isnt available and you know it, we can make a bluetooth connection and get new mail too. What do you think?

Badandy
09-12-2004, 03:24 AM
UPDATE: It works

OK, this is what is does. Using the pen command that turned Wifi on by first turning it off (credit goes to one of the two winners (it is originally located on the 3rd page)) I made a fetch mail application. What it does is it turns off All wirelss. Then it turns on Wifi. It then waits a large amount of time to associate with the access point. Then it launches mail and automatically clicks the "send/recieve" button . Well, here it is. ENJOY!

NAMEget mail
//Description: Retrieves mail over WiFi.
&lt;#Start>"\Windows\iPAQ Wireless.exe"
&lt;#Delay>2000
&lt;#BtnPress>70,235
&lt;#Delay>200
&lt;#BtnRlse>70,235
&lt;#Delay>1500
&lt;#BtnPress>180,100
&lt;#Delay>200
&lt;#BtnRlse>180,100
&lt;#Delay>500
&lt;#BtnClick>229,10
&lt;#Delay>5000
&lt;#Delay>5000
&lt;#Delay>5000
&lt;#Delay>5000
&lt;#Start>"tmail.exe"
&lt;#Delay>1500
&lt;#BtnClick>156,304

Well, thats it. Also, this if for the Ipaq 4155 because the Wireless center has been renamed. I changed it to make it work with the 4000 users.

yanathin
09-13-2004, 04:22 AM
robshobs, that shortcut icon thing works great, but there's one problem... Putting it as an icon with SPB Pocket Plus doesn't work for some really strange reason. I click it and nothing happens. If I just open it up in the file explorer though it works great. Any reason why it's doing this, or any way around it? Thanks!

VanHlebar
09-13-2004, 01:46 PM
robshobs, that shortcut icon thing works great, but there's one problem... Putting it as an icon with SPB Pocket Plus doesn't work for some really strange reason. I click it and nothing happens. If I just open it up in the file explorer though it works great. Any reason why it's doing this, or any way around it? Thanks!

I can tell you that I have the same issue when I setup a shortcut using PPX also. I haven't been able to figure out why it won't work. It works just fine from within either Resco Explorer or File Explorer.

-Eric

yanathin
09-13-2004, 03:14 PM
I think SPB Pocket Plus should add a macro feature... Thats like, the only thing it's missing right now. I got really excited when I first heard about shortcut icons to Calligrapher macros, but when I found out it didn't work with SPB PP it just disappointed me. Eh, oh well, can't have everything.

drop
09-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone who contributed or asked questions on this thread. Learned so much.

Have anybody successfully change the default input method to Calligraher? Would Tweak2k2 (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=E95BF5DC4CA21157F242EEEFE33A98CC&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=24717&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=tweak) able to do that? I am not too comfortable trying this registry tweak (http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/Tweak.asp?ref=13) , not sure if it would work on WM2003.

Thanks.

ctmagnus
09-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Calligrapher has the option to do this. I personally don't do it as it makes soft-resets sloooow and imo it's quicker to just fire up an app and select Calligrapher as the input method after a reset than to wait for the unit to boot up and load it.

Brad Adrian
09-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Have anybody successfully change the default input method to Calligraher?
In my experience, it depends upon the device. With my 4155, it works great! With my 1910 (and even my 2215) it doesn't seem to work as well, slowing down soft resets.

Brad Adrian
09-14-2004, 12:48 AM
I'd like to ask you Calligrapher (and Transcriber) users out there one more thing:

Is ANYbody successful getting Calligrapher to recognize the capital letter "H" when drawn simply, like three little stick? For me, it ALWAYS interprets it as "It." I've set the recognizer so that it's the only style I'll use for "H," but it very seldom works. It only seems to work when you draw it with two uprights and a little loop between.

Any ideas or thoughts?

ctmagnus
09-14-2004, 02:53 AM
It works for me, whether I go ||- or |-|. I have more luck with |-| though. I have much better luck when I draw both uprights approximately the same height, otherwise I tend to get t1 with the occasional It.

bigkingfun
09-14-2004, 02:55 AM
I'd like to ask you Calligrapher (and Transcriber) users out there one more thing:

Is ANYbody successful getting Calligrapher to recognize the capital letter "H" when drawn simply, like three little stick? For me, it ALWAYS interprets it as "It." I've set the recognizer so that it's the only style I'll use for "H," but it very seldom works. It only seems to work when you draw it with two uprights and a little loop between.

Any ideas or thoughts?

It usually works for me, but only if I follow it immediately with a lower case letter and make it recognizably smaller. If I try to write just an H or don't make the lower case letter following it small enough, I'll usually get "it" as well.

drop
09-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Dah... :bangin:

I must have looked at the General Options screen a dozen times and still managed to overlook that option. Thanks.

There is a 2-3 seconds slow-down in soft resetting my X5 after choosing that option. Not a big problem.

I also have problem with "H". I have to write VERY carefully so there is no gap between | - |. If there is a gap, then "H" would be recognized as "It".

tanalasta
09-15-2004, 12:24 PM
A bit off topic but what I'll really like to see is a way for calligrapher to install itself into ROM (after checking there is sufficient space first of course).

The advantages of this would be:
1. Memory footprint is takes up quite a bit of RAM. Especially for people (including myself) who do not install this onto storage card for various reasons.
2. Over-write transcriber which is, in all respects, calligrapher's predecessor.
3. Makes it unneccessary to reinstall after a hard-reset.

I wonder if it is possible... :?:

freddiemac
10-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Anyone have a suggestion for creating a macro that would read a start time that I write, substract it from the current time, and give a result in minutes or hours and minutes?

In other words: start time ---> end time--> duration.

I want to automate time logging. Is that possible?

bigray327
10-11-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to issue an "OK" command in Pen Commander. I tried having it click on the coordinates of the OK button on the menu bar, but that locks up the machine (probably a WISbar issue). I suppose I could have it close WISbar, click OK, then restart WISbar, but that's a pain. Something like &lt;*OK> would be awesome, but so far I haven't found anything.

Suggestions, please? Thanks much!

phatware
03-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Recently, we have received numerous requests from CalliGrapher and PenOffice users to create a dedicated PenCommander forum. We are pleased to announce that dedicated PenCommander forum is now available. Please use this forum to share your PenCommands and PenCommander skins for the stand-alone version of PenCommander or post technical questions and comments related to PenCommander.

http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=45