View Full Version : Can you delete pages from an ebook? And how do you undelete them?

rocky_raher
08-26-2004, 04:51 PM
I hope the subject wasn't too confusing. I wasn't sure how to tersely describe this problem.

I have been reading the August/September 2004 issue of PocketPC Magazine. The riffle control said it was 1223 pages long. I had read up to the middle of the article "40 Things I Did with my PPC." The next time I started Reader, I was in the middle of a later article. I tried paging backwards, but found the preceeding article. My copy of the magazine now went from near the end of the preceeding article to the middle of the later article. From the Table of Contents, I selected the "40 Things" article, and got the first page. As soon as turned the page, I was in the middle of a later article, etc. Furthermore, the riffle control now said the magazine was 1153 pages long. Some pages had been virtually "torn out" of my copy.

OK, the .lit file is corrputed, right? To confirm, I copied the file from my PPC back to my PC and ran WinDiff. The file matched the original. I copied the "corrupted" .lit file from my PPC to another PC and read it. It was intact.

I next deleted the annotations file from \My Documents\Annotations on the PPC. The missing pages returned, and the riffle bar said there were now 1329 pages. Apparently the annotations file told Reader to skip a section or two.

Does anyone know how this could have happened? How do I avoid accidentally "deleting" pages again? Is there a less drastic cure than deleting the annotations file (and all desired annotations with it)?

My PPC is a Samsung SPH-i700, recently upgraded to WM2003, running Reader 2.2.3.

Jorgen
08-27-2004, 04:54 PM
*You* can't delete part of the .LIT file. But I suppose that an electrical glitch could theoretically lose part but it would likely be somewhere within a page unless it is the index that is corrupted.

If you live in a country where it is legal to use the Convert Lit utility, you could try to convert it to HTML.

Jorgen