View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS does not shows my position

KTamas
08-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi all

There's an Asus A716 and an A620BT, and a Holux/Asus GR-230 Bluetooth GPS. I pair the devices, the GPS software shows the position of the satelites, but does not shows the GPS coordinates, so it seems that its not working. Why? I've tried that two PDAs and two softwares.

KTamas

Sven Johannsen
08-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi all

There's an Asus A716 and an A620BT, and a Holux/Asus GR-230 Bluetooth GPS. I pair the devices, the GPS software shows the position of the satelites, but does not shows the GPS coordinates, so it seems that its not working. Why? I've tried that two PDAs and two softwares.

KTamas

Where are you doing this (inside, outside, close to where the GPS was manufactured?) How long are you waiting? GPSs can take a real long time to establish an initial fix, a cold start. The calculations are basically to solve four equations with four variables, normally in an iterative process. It helps to have a clue about where to start, which is why some programs let you give the unit a rough idea where it is, such as what state.

You almost have to be outside to get good signal strength. Being able to recognize the existance of a satallite doesn't always mean you have a good enough signal to lock on to it's data. Getting satellites displayed implies that the BT connection is working, but I'd feel better about that if the software you are using would actually show you the text streams that come from the Holux so you know that for sure.

Does the Holux not have some sort of indicator that tells you when it has achieved lock, which means it has acquired enough satellites and data to perform the calculations to determine your position? Both my BT receivers do, and that is independent of their being connected to anything.

P.S. the close to where it was manufactured thing was based on a unit I had, manufactured in Hong Kong, that had that as a cold default. Took it forever to find itself in the US first time, and every time I let the internal battery run down enough to go back to default. If I gave it power every few days though, it would retain it's last known position as a starting point for computation and lock fairly quickly.

Pat Logsdon
08-26-2004, 07:02 PM
What software are you using? It may be that the software is looking for the GPS on the wrong port...

KTamas
08-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Hi all

KTamas

Where are you doing this (inside, outside, close to where the GPS was manufactured?) How long are you waiting? GPSs can take a real long time to establish an initial fix, a cold start. The calculations are basically to solve four equations with four variables, normally in an iterative process. It helps to have a clue about where to start, which is why some programs let you give the unit a rough idea where it is, such as what state.

You almost have to be outside to get good signal strength. Being able to recognize the existance of a satallite doesn't always mean you have a good enough signal to lock on to it's data. Getting satellites displayed implies that the BT connection is working, but I'd feel better about that if the software you are using would actually show you the text streams that come from the Holux so you know that for sure.

Does the Holux not have some sort of indicator that tells you when it has achieved lock, which means it has acquired enough satellites and data to perform the calculations to determine your position? Both my BT receivers do, and that is independent of their being connected to anything.

P.S. the close to where it was manufactured thing was based on a unit I had, manufactured in Hong Kong, that had that as a cold default. Took it forever to find itself in the US first time, and every time I let the internal battery run down enough to go back to default. If I gave it power every few days though, it would retain it's last known position as a starting point for computation and lock fairly quickly.
Thanks, I'll wait :)