View Full Version : Please weigh in on the Loox 720 question I have...

shanipaqman
08-24-2004, 02:33 AM
Does anyone else love the sound of this thing, but aren't sure about availibility of accessories, mainly cases and then the whole customer service issue?

I believe you can mail in somewhere in the states, but do they even retail these things here or do you have to buy international?

thanks for helping me out, I would like to get something other than an HP right now since I don't like the look or features of the 4700...Wish Dell would come out with something soon...

carrigaline
08-24-2004, 03:42 AM
I was also seriously looking at the Loox 720 - it seems to be a great model but I too did not know enough about the customer service aspect in comparison to HP (who can be great or a disaster).

I did read you could send the 720 to a place within the US for repair if need be but found no info on who paid for what i.e. in terms of postage etc during the warranty period.

I have decided to hold off on the 720 and other VGA ppcs though for a while after reading up on the Intel 270/272 chip and the 2700G graphics accelerator chip which was released with it. The 2700G is supposed to bring near pc quality graphics performance to ppcs and also improves power drain along with many other features (http://www.intel.com/design/pca/prodbref/300571.htm)

It appears from several reviews out there that VGA pockect pcs with the Intel 270/272 chip are getting less than normal graphics performance benchmarks. I wonder if this is primarily due to the fact that the 2700G graphics accelerator is not included on current VGA pocket pcs (or it could be the benchmark software).

I don't know if that is the main reason behind some of the performance issues which have been raised on VGA ppcs but I wonder why Intel launched both together if they were not meant to work together..........and leads me to wonder why OEMs didnt just put them together from the get go?

It seems like it would be best to hold off getting a new VGA unit until OEMs start incorporating the 2700G or equivalents.......

Can anyone jump in with more informed opinion on the technical side?

kaitanium
08-24-2004, 08:08 AM
i too am not satisfied with the HP. take a look at the asus a730, its the next best bet to the loox720

shanipaqman
08-24-2004, 12:36 PM
The only problem with that line of thinking is that you could really wait until they have created the perfect device but who knows when that is going to be?

I would really rather have the perfect VGA phone/pda right now, but that is not realistic, since I'm with Sprint and they seem to get next to nothing in that area.

So, I will wait to read about the reviews of the final products put out, I'm sure there will be plenty of resources to make a good decision and all of our concerns will be answered thoroughly.

Interesting about the chip set, I thought I heard that Dell was going to include the 2700 processor in their VGA device when they get around to it...who knows maybe we'll get lucky and hear the news of a new device on the way that takes care of all of our issues and saves us money in the meantime!

kaitanium
08-24-2004, 06:07 PM
yea dell may be quite innovative and cheap and if they come out with a comparable device to the a730 or loox720 then wOw but even so, to me, they seem to have a pretty low resell value...just in case i want to sell it sometime down the road. which is the only reason hindering me from considering dell. plus id be embarassed to have a dell...now if ibm made their own pdas with the quality of their thinkpads... 8O

carrigaline
08-25-2004, 03:02 AM
The only problem with that line of thinking is that you could really wait until they have created the perfect device but who knows when that is going to be?...........Interesting about the chip set, I thought I heard that Dell was going to include the 2700 processor in their VGA device when they get around to it...who knows maybe we'll get lucky and hear the news of a new device on the way that takes care of all of our issues and saves us money in the meantime!

I know one could wait forever for the perfect device - there is always a more perfect one! I would not accept that there is a problem with the line of thinking in this instance though as we are only starting to see VGA ppcs and I would prefer to have one with the dual set of Intel chips as was apparently intended by them....which would better handle WM2005 next summer.........

Usually we see incremental improvements in ppcs but something like this which has a material impact on performance and value, coupled with the step improvements the 2700G seems to give for VGA ppcs makes me think that it would be best to have my next purchase contain these chips as then all I would have to worry about is am I going to be able to get an upgrade CD for the WM2005! :D

Which brings us back to Loox policy on that in the past..........to save me the time checking this out on the net.....do you know their track record shanipaqman?

shanipaqman
08-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Actually, no, I don't know their track record. I was introduced to the company by the appeal of the Loox 720 just recently, though I am disappointed such a nice looking device won't be sold in the US.

So, what you are saying, is that with this particular technology jump, it may well be worth an extra wait to get a device that functions a lot better than the current developments?

I think I agree...In the meantime, what do you guys recommend I get for a smaller form factor ppc than my current ipaq 3955? I want bluetooth and wi-fi and only need sd slot...
thanks

JustinGTP
08-25-2004, 05:06 PM
I think I agree...In the meantime, what do you guys recommend I get for a smaller form factor ppc than my current ipaq 3955? I want bluetooth and wi-fi and only need sd slot...
thanks

A Dell Axim X30 w/WiFi?

I am waiting to see what happens with Fujitsu / Asus / Hp / Dell / Toshiba. I want a VGA device for sure, CF + SD, WM2003SE, WiFi, Bluetooth and maybe USB. Asus and Fujitsu see to have this, with the Fujitsu in the lead.

-Justin.

carrigaline
08-26-2004, 03:14 AM
Won't be sold in the US????

Damn.......why?