View Full Version : Rabid Fans - Is This Us?

Jason Dunn
09-08-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.forbes.com/global/2001/0416/072_print.html' target='_blank'>http://www.forbes.com/global/2001/0.../072_print.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Every company wants a hot product in the hands of ecstatic consumers who spread the gospel. But watch out for that lunatic fringe. The sun beams down on a tiny glen in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains-a radiant afternoon for an outdoor wedding. A light breeze stirs as the Reverend James S. Massie Jr. looks out over 250 love-struck people assembled for a mass ceremony. After reading the vows, Massie, an Episcopal priest, takes a deep breath and leans toward the microphone: "By the power vested in me, I pronounce you-car and driver." Strange, but true. A bunch of people have just married their Mazda Miatas. These people live for the $21,000 roadster, and Massie eggs them on..."</i><br /><br />While I hope none of us have been married to our Pocket PCs, this article is an interesting look at how passiontate people can be about things that they like, and the ups and downs of that.

szamot
09-08-2004, 09:24 PM
There should be a disclaimer to this article "only in America" I think we are thoughtful people here not zelots, although I have heard some voice their opinions otherwise.... :wink:

Dave Potter
09-08-2004, 09:30 PM
That is soooooooo creapy. (shudder!!!) 8O

ctmagnus
09-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but I've had my shots ;)

Ed@Brighthand
09-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm reminded of the article from a week or so ago: "Do Not Sleep with Your iPAQ."

:)

superdork
09-08-2004, 09:50 PM
No, I would have to say we are fanatics. Why the hell else would we pay $600+ for a glorified organizer? :wink:

rlobrecht
09-08-2004, 09:55 PM
I don't know about married to our Pocket PCs, but I can't help but not think about a certain site admin who was married using his Pocket PC.

Lex
09-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Reminded of Maslow's heirarchy, these folks must have no other needs in life, or are mentally blinded to reality. Yeah, the latter.

Brad Adrian
09-08-2004, 10:37 PM
What a bunch of nuts! Everybody knows that things like cars and Pocket PCs are nothing more than wires and metal and plastic and such, and so it's insane to try to marry such things.

On the other hand, there's my beloved SCOTTeVEST...

["...you may now wear the bride."]

gorkon280
09-08-2004, 10:42 PM
I love my PPC but I can live with out it. Now my Mac, well, you can't never tell me I can't have a new Mac when I am ready. Luckily I won't be ready until the G5 Powerbooks are released soemtime this century! :D Anyway, the thing with the cult like following some of these companies have is you need to USE them by treating them well. Listen to your most ardent followers but don't make stupid decisions based on them. One example is the new G5 iMac. People have said ooooh boy a G5 in something that is 2 inches think! YAH...now where's my G5? If Apple wanted to, they could make a 2.5 inch behemoth and call it a powerbook but that's not what they will want. I guarantee you if they listened to the zealots (I want my G5 Powerbook now!) they'd have a massive laptop that noone will want to carry no mater how cool it looks because the damn thing will way 11 pounds. They WANT the G5 in a powerbook now but the reality is they want a G5 Powerbook that is at least as sexy, lightweight and thin as the current G4 line. If they delivered the G5 in a powerbook now, it would not even sell to Zealots. Luckily, Apple knows this and the REAL Apple fans don't care cuz the G4 Powerbook is just fine for the moment. It's just the zealots wanting the G5 to compensate for something below the belt line. ;)

lonesniper
09-08-2004, 10:46 PM
The Pocono's is a strange place. I worked there for 7 summers and visited all the time in the winter. People are nice but there are a couple of crazy ones.

Lucky Bob
09-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Gosh, I hate to think of what the kids will look like...

rocky_raher
09-08-2004, 11:11 PM
If the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court hears about people marrying their cars, they'll see to it that, not only will these marriages be recognized by the state, but companies will have to provide spousal benefits!!

[Of course, the car and the driver will both have to be Massachusetts residents, althought many county clerks will overlook this technicality.]

Jason Dunn
09-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I don't know about married to our Pocket PCs, but I can't help but not think about a certain site admin who was married using his Pocket PC.

WHAT? That's CRAZY! :lol:

(for those that don't know what he's talking about) ----->

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/May02/Images/May02_p10_3.jpg

Jonathon Watkins
09-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Well, at my brother's wedding last week I gave the reading using Pcoket Bible on my PPC. :mrgreen:

Jason Dunn
09-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Well, at my brother's wedding last week I gave the reading using Pcoket Bible on my PPC. :mrgreen:

DUDE! YOU ROCK! :way to go:

Brad Adrian
09-09-2004, 04:02 AM
I love my PPC but I can live with out it.
AAAACCCKKKKKK!!!!!

Bajan Cherry
09-09-2004, 07:25 AM

Lol! Wonder who is he ;)