View Full Version : question on surfing the net using pocket pc

erictan8888
08-23-2004, 12:55 PM
hi,

i am relatively new to pocket pc usage.... have a HP jornada 560 for about 2 years already.... but used it for basic usage like scheduling and tasks management only...

i tried using it to surf the internet about a year ago and my experience with it was not too good... it seems to me that a lot of sites are not accessible from the pocket pc internet explorer....

now, i am thinking of buying Dell's Axim X30 and take advantage of the wireless internet i set up at home... just a few questions to ask here:

1. can i surf the internet using the latest pocket pc like dell's axim X30 ?

2. are there any websites that i cannot view on the pocket pc internet explorer? for instance, can this pocketpcthoughts forum be viewed on a pocket pc?

3. can i access hotmail using the pocket pc?

4. i noticed that pocket pc typically has very low battery performance capability.... and that palm OS pda typically can allow up to 7 to 10 days of average usage before needing a charge. for pocket pc, it is ilke at most 2 days of normal usage and you have to charge it already. how true is this?

thanks
all the answers will help me greatly in deciding whether to get a pocket pc or just a simple palm OS pda or the sony clie...
have a nice day
eric :)

maximus
08-23-2004, 01:58 PM
1. Yep. Doing it everyday on an axim X5 + GPRS.
2. Yep. You will be able to view most 'normal' websites.
3. Yep. Doing it everyday on an axim X5 + GPRS.
4. 7 to 10 days on palm devices ... hmm ...

billbuckner
08-23-2004, 02:54 PM
4. 7 to 10 days on palm devices ... hmm ...
WRONG! With an iPaq or other compatible device, you will get only two hours of use. With a Palm Powered Connected Solution, You of course will get eighteen months of normal use!
normal use for PALM POWERED CONNECTED SOLUTION involves turning device on and letting it power down once a day. backlight is off. shutdown time set as one minute. pocket pc use is setting backlight on high, wifi on, Media Player on, and autoshutdown off

PetiteFlower
08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
normal use for PALM POWERED CONNECTED SOLUTION involves turning device on and letting it power down once a day. backlight is off. shutdown time set as one minute. pocket pc use is setting backlight on high, wifi on, Media Player on, and autoshutdown off

I hate fine print.

PetiteFlower
08-23-2004, 03:51 PM
And by the way, what a completely BS claim! If you want to evaluate battery use, you have to compare devices on the same settings! Who uses a PPC with their backlight on high, wifi and media player on constantly, and autoshutdown off? And for that matter, who uses their device with the backlight totally off?

Pocket PCs can have less battery life then some Palms, but the newer Palms with similar specs to PPCs(Color TFT screens, fast processors) seem to get about the same battery life. It's the old monochrome Palms that had the really amazing battery life; they had fewer power-hungry features to support :)

Sven Johannsen
08-23-2004, 03:52 PM
4. 7 to 10 days on palm devices ... HM ...
WRONG! With an IPA or other compatible device, you will get only two hours of use. With a Palm Powered Connected Solution, You of course will get eighteen months of normal use!
normal use for PALM POWERED CONNECTED SOLUTION involves turning device on and letting it power down once a day. back is off. shutdown time set as one minute. pocket pc use is setting backlight on high, wifi on, Media Player on, and auto off

Cute fine print. Maybe a little too fine for some to notice ;) I think you will find that comparable PPC and Palms are...well...comparable, in battery life. The disparity comes in comparing Palms with low speed processors, limited RAM and monochrome screens to PPCs with color screens, processors that can actually handle multitasking and multimedia, with WiFi and BT built in. There is also the marketing hype that varies on how you define 'use'.

You are probably going to get 2-6 hours of 'use' out of a PPC. Use means the thing is on, the backlight is on and you are doing stuff on it continuously. The low end is if you are using WiFi, the high end if you are not. For me at least the use pattern is to turn it on to check something, it's on for a minute or two, and I shut it off. When I get a chance I'll read some Avantgo downloads for 30-60 minutes. I rarely get below 70-80% battery. When I turn WiFi on, the battery gage is like the fuel gage in an 8c cylinder car with dual quads on it. You can certainly get through a day. The real benefit of a PPC is when it is up to date. You would be advised to stick it in the cradle at bedtime to sync anyway, and there it will charge and be ready for the next day. Fresh battery, fresh data, ready to go.

Vidge
08-24-2004, 03:01 AM
I never got 7-10 days of battery life on ANY Palm device I've owned (and I've had 10 over the last 8 years, including my current T3). The battery life on my T3 is about 3 hours - and that includes some Wifi and BT usage. The battery life on my HP4155 is about the same under similar conditions.

erictan8888
08-24-2004, 04:43 AM
thanks for all the advice....
i was referring to the old type of palm pda, the monochrome screen type... my brother had one and he used it for checking schedules and appointments etc, sort of average useage per ady and he could clock up to about a week before a recharge.

i was thinking of getting the axim X30, the one with the 624 processor. but i noticed that the price in the US seems to be much lower than in the south east asia. Even with the currency conversion factored in, with the worst conversion rates i could find on the net, it seems that the axim X30 is still cheaper in the states than in south east asia. I thought that international product should have more or less a uniform pricing? (pls pardon my ignorance here.... but the price difference is like: US$55)

anyway, read all the reviews on the web on a number of pocket pcs, mainly HP range and dell axim X30. Got a quick question here:
so, with normal usage of about an hour a day, how long do you think the battery can last before i need to do a recharge again?

thanks

billbuckner
08-24-2004, 02:00 PM
thanks for all the advice....

anyway, read all the reviews on the web on a number of pocket pcs, mainly HP range and dell axim X30. Got a quick question here:
so, with normal usage of about an hour a day, how long do you think the battery can last before i need to do a recharge again?

thanks
I usually recharge my X3i every night. With Wifi and low backlight, battery life is a few hours. Wifi off, and you get at least 3-4 days of normal use. My advice is that the extra-large battery is a wise investment.

PetiteFlower
08-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Bill, was your last post a joke? If it was, I apologize for taking you too seriously :)

billbuckner
08-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Bill, was your last post a joke? If it was, I apologize for taking you too seriously :)
You would have understood if you had read the Pocket PC vs. Palm comparasion chart on the Pa1m0ne (1337!11!!) website, which hada very nasty tendancy to make all the Pocket PC's form factors compared with the Palm V. :roll: It also had something like the battery life claim I posted. I thought you were talking about that chart, so I didn't mind, and I still don't. 8)

PetiteFlower
08-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Well we HAVE occasionally had people posting here making similar BS claims, that WERE serious! Sarcasm gets missed in print sometimes :)

Wiggster
08-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Sarcasm gets missed in print sometimes :)

No it doesn't.

That was sarcasm

billbuckner
08-25-2004, 12:06 AM

No it doesn't.

That was sarcasm
:lol: By the way, nice avatar.

JustinGTP
08-25-2004, 01:28 AM

No it doesn't.

That was sarcasm

:D Yes! Nice avatar.

PetiteFlower
08-25-2004, 02:47 AM
I have an avatar?

JustinGTP
08-25-2004, 04:06 AM
Look at the first quote - it says Adwignall.

-Justin.

PetiteFlower
08-25-2004, 04:37 AM
Oh. Ok. Never mind then.

I should get an avatar.

maximus
08-25-2004, 12:26 PM

thanks

An hour a day doing normal stuffs like reading email, checking contacts, reading ebooks ? More than 7 days between charge.

Just a comparison. I am using axim with running voice GSM which keeps the PDA on all the time (with screen off during idle), listening to oggs, checking emails, playing games, ICQing, etc., I usually get 10-12 hours on 1400 mAH battery.

Richie Rich
08-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Someone mentioned earlier, who would use their device with the screen off?

How about if they were simply listening to MP3s using their device and didn't need the screen at all?

For the record: With WiFi active, screen to max brightness, and all power saving features turned off, I can last about 5 1/2 to 6 hours on a full charge.

Without WiFi I can add 4 to 5 hours to that time.

I just have a hard time getting my device into and out of my pocket.

Rich
WWW.Diverseinfo.com
NEC Mobilepro 900C Compatibility Site

Wiggster
08-25-2004, 02:47 PM

No it doesn't.

That was sarcasm

:D Yes! Nice avatar.

Thanks. I hope it shows the transformation from my existing PDA to the one I'll have in... a week and a half?

Jeff Rutledge
08-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks. I hope it shows the transformation from my existing PDA to the one I'll have in... a week and a half?

OK, where's that jealous emoticon? :mrgreen:

Wiggster
08-25-2004, 06:37 PM

OK, where's that jealous emoticon? :mrgreen:

You're jealous of me wanting to buy a new PDA but not being able to since it's not released? :razzing: I'm waiting for it to show up in CompUSA just like everyone else, I'm just excited :puppydogeyes:

Jeff Rutledge
08-25-2004, 06:46 PM
You're jealous of me wanting to buy a new PDA but not being able to since it's not released? :razzing: I'm waiting for it to show up in CompUSA just like everyone else, I'm just excited :puppydogeyes:

No, I'm just jealous in general of anyone getting one of the new devices as I likely won't be this round. :(

;)

maximus
08-26-2004, 06:47 AM
As for myself, I am currently not in the PDA market. I am satisfied with my axim X5. Everything I wanted in a PDA is available in my X5+GPRS CF.

Right now, I am focusing to the smartphone area. Waiting for the mpx220 to finally show up somewhere in asia. Replacing my older Motorola T720 with mpx220. Placing the mpx220 next to the V600. Yay ! :mrgreen: