View Full Version : HP 6315 observations

Ortid
08-23-2004, 11:56 AM
I love the new HP 6315!!! It is one of the best all in one devices. There are a few things that are not perfect about it, but all in all it is hard to beat. I have added at Bluetooth GPS and a Bluetooth headset to give added functionality. Here are a few of my observations:
1. It runs Phone edition and therefore not able to take advantage of the upgraded features in WM2003SE.
The processor is slow and it locks sometimes but I will live with that.
2. It lacks good phone dialer programs –so I added in Phone Plus which allow you to start typing in the last name and it will show a list of matches from the Pocket Outlook contact list.
3. I thought I would love the keyboard but find it awkward to use. There seems to be no real documentation and I found that sometimes it gets locked in CAPS or shift mode.
4. The wifi is fantastic! It is a very strong client and it picks up open networks as I drive down the street. I went 2 miles down to the T-mobile store and it picked up 8 different networks that were broadcasting the SSID. (Wardriving at its best)
5. The Bluetooth works fine. I started with the Belkin headset but it had too much static. I am now using the Jabra and it works much better.
6. GPS functionality is fantastic. I purchased the Pharos model and it came with a PDA dock for the car (awesome) and a car charger that works with the GPS and the iPAQ at the same time. CompUSA has a deal if you buy both you got the GPS for $199 after rebates. (Normally $349).
Well this is a brief review of my weekend with my new toy

Mr. PPC
08-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Just responding to your #1 statement...

There is a SE version of Phone Edition. At this point no devices are using it, but that wll change shortly. It will be on the MPx, XDA III and others released, XDA II users are hoping for an upgrade as well.

arnage2
08-23-2004, 04:18 PM
i heard that the 6315 would be upgraded to 2003se, eventually

Ryan Joseph
08-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Just responding to your #1 statement...

There is a SE version of Phone Edition. At this point no devices are using it, but that wll change shortly. It will be on the MPx, XDA III and others released, XDA II users are hoping for an upgrade as well.

Darn right we are! I'd love SE on my i-mate! :D I'd use landscape all the time.

urologyhealth
08-23-2004, 07:23 PM
The hp6315 does not have windows mobile 2nd edition and has ADD ON keyboard. I think a slow processor and 64MB ram are not adequate, just because it's new model.

The new imate PDA2K from what I can see is tri-band with no 850 so it is better for europe and not USA where 850 seems to be important addition (at least on ATT and Cingular).

I wish I understood why they can't get all the needs satisfied in an expensive device. I would want quad band with keyboard as in i-mate and wm2003 second edition.

I'd like others opinions