View Full Version : I have had it!

eustts
08-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Well, I have had it.

My 5555 is broken. I am tired of accepting that actuvesync is OK.

I am tired of babying my PDA as if to think that I might break it everytime I carry it around.

I have a 2 yr Replacement policy from COMPUSA

I am going to leave the PocketPC world. It is not ready for the real world yet.

I think I am going to get a Tungsten T3.

The 4155/4355 is tempting, but I just can't buy another.

What does everyone think of the T3?

ntractv
08-22-2004, 09:29 AM
What problem(s) are you having? I've had the 5555 for over a year now and no problems to date.

jimski
08-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. I must admit that at one time I had similar thoughts but after identifying problems and learning to deal with others, I have become very comfortable with my 5450.

For the first 6 months of owning my device I went through hell, or at least that's what it seemed like after about 15 hard resets. One problem was a battery removal/replace glitch that caused a reset each time you changed the battery. After several months HP fixed that problem with a ROM patch. It took another few months but I narrowed down the second problem to a simple plugin on my Today screen that did not play well with my device, causing lockups and resulting in spontaneous hard resets. After removing that app I have not hard reset my device since my last ROM patch, about 15 months ago.

I have dropped my device twice from my shirt pocket onto concrete floors and both times (thank heavens) it survived. I don't use a case for my 5450 but do use a screen protector and after 20 months it looks like new.

Yes, ActiveSync is a problem, but I have learned to live with it. When this app does not want to sync my e-mails for example, I just disable the feature for a few days or reduce the number of days to sync and the problem clears itself up.

In the 8+ years that I have been using PDA's (12+ devices and counting) I have only had to return one, and it was a Palm VIIx, and it was bad right from the factory (one of those pre-order things directly from Palm).

While the syncing part of the the T3 may be more desirable (yes, I do miss HotSync) I don't think things like durability will be much different. After using PPC's for the past 3 years I could never go back. But I do hope you find what you are looking for.

Duncan
08-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I think I am going to get a Tungsten T3.... What does everyone think of the T3?

Ah yes the T3... SD card freezing problems, loosening/falling out screws on the slide mechanism, a number of hotsync conduit issues, Bluetooth issues by the bucket load (refusals to connect, freezing etc.), rapid battery draining... need I continue...?

The T3 is not a bad PDA. Neither is your 5555. Both can become faulty, however, and both can develop issues. If you think the grass is going to be greener on the other side though - think again.

dh
08-22-2004, 01:57 PM
I think you will find that Palm is so limiting you will end up frustrated again.

Maybe you should hang in there a while and get one of the new VGA PPCs or even the Toshiba 805, although CompUSA probably don't have them now.

mrkablooey
08-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Depends on what you plan to do with it? If it's PIM stuff, go for it. I don't know that anything else is really done BETTER on a Palm than a PPC.... and I've only had my PPC for 10 months... was on Palm for years. Looking at a new Axim X30 right now... built-in wi-fi will be nice. :)

eustts
08-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Well I am just ranting, but I have come to the conclusion that I just do PIM functions with occasional wireless capabilities. Everything I have is bluetooth. I have had WIFI for two years, and it's great but for me its a novelty not a necessity.

I have had many PDAs as well.

Palm pilot, palm III Palm V, Pam Vx, 5455, and 5555.

My wife uses a Vx(my old one) and it works flawlessly. I know that there can be problems on both sides. I have read reviews.

I had to return my 5455(wifi, screen), and got 5555. I will admit that it 5555 was much better than the 5455.

The WIFI does not work. It will have to be sent into HP to have it repaired.

THe HX47xx looks promissing, but I do not want to have to debug a brand new device again......

Vidge
08-22-2004, 10:39 PM
I have a T3 and a 4155. The T3 ain't perfect but I did not have the SD card problem, haven't lost any screws and no hotsync issues. It connects flawlessly with my T610 BT phone.

One thing the T3 can do that my 4155 cannot - dial my phone one-handed.

I've only had my 4155 for a couple of months so I'm not an expert on it but other than the yellowish screen, it appears to be a solid device.

JimPAQ
08-22-2004, 11:04 PM
This is so hilarious. I'm really sorry that you’re having problems, but I think it's funny that you think that getting the T3 is going to fix the problem. I have a co-worker that has a T3 and he says the same thing. "I'm sick and tired of this T3, it seems like every time I try to do something it brakes." When he first got it, he had it less then a month and had to send it in for repairs. I don't remember what the problem was. Then he complained because they didn't send it back when they said they would. Then, after they sent it back, he started having more problems with it. Now every time I see him, he tells me about his latest "issue" with the T3 and says he is going to switch to PPC.

OK, OK, I admit, his desire to switch to PPC may be because I flaunt my latest new application in his face and tell him about how I neeeeever have problems with my IPAQ. :twisted: But hay, some one has to bring him over to the dark side.

--Jim

JustinGTP
08-23-2004, 01:20 AM
...it brakes."

Does it have four wheel disc brakes or drum brakes? :wink:

OK, OK, I admit, his desire to switch to PPC may be because I flaunt my latest new application in his face and tell him about how I neeeeever have problems with my IPAQ. :twisted: But hay, some one has to bring him over to the dark side.

Hey! PalmOne is the Dark Side, as with the PPC, we are referred to as the Light Side. How dare you associate evilness with PPC!? :)

I also have a question. Why do you think that the 5555 is so fragile? The body of a PDA is similar across all models. What makes you think that a T3 will be less fragile?

-Justin.