View Full Version : iPAQ h6315 - First Impressions

perrotta
08-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Got one last night at CompUSA in Springfield, NJ for $599, price being the same with/without activation at the store. CompUSA's web site did not show any availability of the 6315 in my area, but when I called them, the story was different.

I bought it without activating it at the store and then dealt with a T-Mobile dealer to create an account for the included T-Mobile SIM card.

This is not meant to be a complete review. Just some personal feedback which you may not find in the available (p)reviews.

Positives
- Feels right in the hand/shirt pocket (size, weight)
- Good LCD screen (brightness, contrast), but whites change to yellow depending on angle of view.
- Whole "roaming" among internet connections works well. Priority is: cradle pass-thru, WiFi and GPRS.
- Charges via USB cradle without connecting the power adapter (this way you can keep the power adapter at another location)

Negatives
- Very slow
- Poor camera
- Poor speaker
- SIM-locked for T-Mobile (I did try my AT&T SIM card w/o success)
- Bulky case (should come also with a light one)

Other comments
- I have not played with Bluetooth yet.
- It came setup with APN=wap.voicestream.com for GPRS and I changed it to internet2.voicestream.com to make it work.

If you read this far, you are interested in wireless PDA's. Then, take a look at my http://pdaPortal.com

Re., AP

Kai920
08-23-2004, 05:23 AM
Negatives
- Very slow

Can you elaborate your statement of "very slow"? What kind of apps were you running? how much free RAM was available? Did you see the "windows wait icon" a lot?

PS. might want to take out the "!" out of your link above ;)

alabij
08-23-2004, 06:50 PM
This device is slow. I think it is really slower than the 200Mhtz stated.
The speaker truly sucks. If not a joke. Someone should find a reg hack.
I love the USB charge.

Sparkomatic
08-23-2004, 10:37 PM
So far, I've been pretty happy with the device. I was using an XDA II prior to this one. The device is slow but not so much that it bothers me. Some other things I've noticed:

1. The sound is alot lower than the XDA II. I'm a little disappointed on this one especially since this is a phone.

2. The case is HUGE. I checked out casesonline and the ones they show on the website look much more compact. Not sure what happened there.

3. I have a GN Netcom BT headset and it does work with my iPaq but for some reason, there's a delayed reaction when I answer calls. I think it has something to do with the headset. I'll dial out on the BT headset and the person on the other end will answer and say hello before I hear it in the headset. Sounds from my PPC come through on the headset though which is pretty cool.

Has anyone discovered screen protectors that will work on the 6315 yet?

Gavin Henriques
08-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Are you happy with the switch from the XDA II? I have an I-Mate and I am very happy!! What made you change? I assume battery life and WiFi?? Is the battery life that much better?

Sparkomatic
08-24-2004, 01:58 AM
I felt like getting the i-mate to work with T-Mobile here in the states was a pain. No one supported it, accessories were hard to come by. Although, I'm now in the same boat with the 6315. LOL At least, they'll be coming out with accessories, etc. soon (hopefully). I tried to load a ROM update to my i-mate and killed it. Had to have PocketPCTechs fix it. Oops.

Battery life is much better on the 6315 and the BT profile/headset actually works! Although, I need to get a different headset.

posiedon7
08-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Waited for the device, got it, and it does exactly what I need. Speed for what I use it for is fine. Battery Life is exceptional. Speaker-phone does the job. With a 1G SD card I have all my apps loaded and my music and videos (anyone hear if a 2G is coming down the pike).

All in all I am happy with the camera, follow this link to my ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5717314515&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT

I listed my 5555 today and it sold immediately. :D But the pics I took were with my 6315. They are pretty good for a sub-MP camera. :twisted:

fmcpherson
08-27-2004, 02:15 AM
I have found the speed to ok for what I do. One thing I notice is that when pressing the navigation button down often it doesn't respond. The thumb keyboard is pretty good but sometimes the buttons don't respond.

Inventorb
10-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Has anyone discovered screen protectors that will work on the 6315 yet?

Incipio.com has these screen protectors