View Full Version : VNC viewer + GPRS connection = Impossible??

Huy
08-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I was unsucessfully :treadmill: in using my pocket VNC viewer on my iPAQ H2210 to access my VNC server on my PC via tmobile GPRS using Bluetooth connection from my T610 Sony Erricson phone. I have search the forums but I not come to a definite answer. Has anyone successfully using GPRS with VNC to access his/her desktop?

I have DSL connection with Linksys router ....fowarding port 5800, 5900, 5100...and using dynamic dns service to update with the changing ip address. I was able to access my desktop with my pocket pc with regular internet connection not too long ago but could not figure out why not with the GPRS connection.

If this is impossible, is there an alternative for me to access my PC desktop with no additional cost??

Zack Mahdavi
08-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Are you using T-Mobile's free GPRS service, or are you paying $19.95 a month for T-Mobile's full GPRS service? If you're only using the free one, then the ports that you need are closed by TMobile.

Also, even if you do get the VNC connection set up, let me tell you that VNC over a T-Mobile GPRS connection is sloooow.. Don't bother even trying to interact with your desktop.

What version of Windows are you running? If you're running Windows XP Pro, you may want to try out the "Remote Desktop" feature, although this won't work either on T-Mobile's free GPRS.

Huy
08-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Zack,

Yeah I am using the "free" GPRS connection.....just trying it out to see how fast the connection is. Was able to open up shoutcast as lower bit rate....and that was the highlight. I really need VNC to access my desktop but I guess not.

I am running Windows XP home edition on my Laptop and Windows XP pro on my PC.

So there's no other way of seeing my desktop without dishout additional $$ :devilboy:

Kati Compton
08-21-2004, 06:55 PM
VNC over GPRS? Ouch - I think that would hurt...