View Full Version : No internet

Cornish
08-18-2004, 05:21 PM
I have a 5550 and for some reason its not getting onto the internet even after the green light is on.

I have looked thought lots of post on diffrent sites and gone thought lots of differnt things, but still no web.

I have tryed hardrests loading the new rom and much more. My main question is when you do a hardreset its ment to go back to the factory image. Is this still the case after you update the rom?

When I have hardreset the HP logo come up it says 1.10.10 ENG
But I thought that was the new rom update not the factory rom?

How can I get the old rom that came with it loaded on?

Please help I am neer bracking piont after fighting with it for 3 days and reading hundreds of posts about wireless networks.

OSUKid7
08-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Are you connected to the wireless network? If so, it's probably just some settings on your Pocket PC that need to be changed.

Cornish
08-18-2004, 07:48 PM
I have the same set up that worked before I updated and I also have cheek and duble checked all setting at work and at home and it see's the network but will not get onto the internet. :twisted:

OSUKid7
08-18-2004, 08:34 PM
I have the same set up that worked before I updated and I also have cheek and duble checked all setting at work and at home and it see's the network but will not get onto the internet. :twisted:You still didn't answer my question...
Can you connect to the wireless network or not?

Cornish
08-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Ok I am home now and Have my hp 5550 Is all set up with the home network. The green Light is on and all looks well, my D-Link rooter see it (it see its MAC address). The HP5550 has an IP address but I cant see it throught my network on any of my pc all running win XP pro.
My ppc can see them as well as not get internet.

What I had thought about doing is trying to get back to the fatory setup and go from there. But each time I hard reset down I have updated the rom to the new one (1.10.10 ENG) I would like try if the old (1.00.10 ENG would work again.

Hope that helps.
Thank for any help

Today has been one hell of a day at work and I still cant get this PPC to work :cry:

OSUKid7
08-18-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm still not entirely clear on the specifics of your problem. So you get an IP address on your device. Can you connect to a network share from your iPaq? If not, I'd say there are some problems with the WiFi conection settings. If you can, then there's most likely a problem with the connection settings on your iPaq. Either way, I doubt there's any problem with the ROM image.

The HP5550 has an IP address but I cant see it throught my network on any of my pc all running win XP pro.What do you mean "see it" through you computers? The only way to see Pocket PC files from a computer, when the iPaq is connected wirelessly, is to connect via ActiveSync and brows the Mobile Device.

Cornish
08-19-2004, 01:35 AM
I know that the rom might not make much difference but a I know it worked then on the old one.

Ok this might help Pocket winc see's the network and the ssid is ok and that it is all assocated ok but the internet is not able to access. wep is enabled and ok and configured. So not shore what to do now which is where I was Last night. That is why I am looking to find out how to get the old rom for this ppc, Because I have try every thing I can think of.

OSUKid7
08-19-2004, 02:04 AM
I'm sorry, but will you PLEASE answer my questions?! I'd like to help, but if you don't answer my questions and keep jumping to the same conclusion of re-applying the old ROM image, I'm not gonna be able to do much.

Cornish
08-19-2004, 02:19 AM
Ok This is how it is I have all the right updates on my ppc and I have all the right info that was work before. I have a green Light on and I cant do anthing with it. I cant see the network from my ppc and I cant get onto the internet.

Is there anthing else you need to know, Please let me know I am very grateful for any help.

OSUKid7
08-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Is there anthing else you need to know, Please let me know I am very grateful for any help.I want you to answer my questions instead of just assuming that the problem is with the ROM upgrade. That may very well be true, but if you can't connect to your network, how in the world would you connect to the Internet? I realize that the "green light" is on, but that doesn't always meen your WiFi is working correctly.

:twak:

Please, please, please, take the time to read my messages. I'm really trying to help, but it seems like you just glance at my messages and then restate the same thing over and over. Part of troubleshooting is trying different actions, and then answering questions. If you are unwilling to do that, just let me know.

What happens when you try to access a share on one of your computers from your iPaq? How about load a page in PIE?

Cornish
08-19-2004, 02:31 AM
What is it you mean by is it connecting to my network?
I you mean can you see anthing of the network well the anser is no.
If that is what you mean

Cornish
08-19-2004, 02:36 AM
No the Configure wireless networks It say's that Cornish (which is my home network) is Connected.

Cornish
08-19-2004, 02:40 AM
Even thought the divice say's that I am connect. I keep getting the speach bubble that say's (Cannot Connect with current connection settings)

OSUKid7
08-19-2004, 03:19 AM
What is it you mean by is it connecting to my network?
I you mean can you see anthing of the network well the anser is no.
If that is what you meanNo, I meant what I asked earlier:
Can you connect to a network share from your iPaq?

I'm tired of this. If someone else wants to try to help, go right ahead.

btw, nice spamming there Cornish. :|

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 03:32 AM
Let's take a slightly different tack and see how far we get. OSUKid7, you're assuming he's comfortable with the idea of a network share in the first place. I also wouldn't call his actions spamming per se.

First, which IP address do you get? And, is it an IP address similar to your desktop's? If your 5550 gets a 169.* address, then it's not talking to the wireless network.

--janak

Cornish
08-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Thank you Janak

I am getting an IP address of 169.254.48.174.
My D-Link router is saying it connected and has the ppc Mac address as well showing up.
My home pc IP address start's with 192.

I hope thats the sort of thing you needed to know.

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 03:53 AM
I am getting an IP address of 169.254.48.174.
My D-Link router is saying it connected and has the ppc Mac address as well showing up.
My home pc IP address start's with 192.
This means your iPAQ is not properly communicating with your base station, despite it thinking it's connected. Connected and exchanging data are two separate things.

Are you using WEP? The first debugging step would be to turn that off (on both the router and the iPAQ) and see if you now get a "real IP", that is, a 192.168.* address.

--janak

Cornish
08-19-2004, 04:02 AM
I get the same thing happening I also get the same IP address.
I also couldnt get onto the work's wirlessnetwork which I could before.

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 04:05 AM
Hmmm. You haven't turned off SSID broadcast or have turned on MAC filtering, have you? In short, you should turn off all the security settings on your D-Link and see if it connects properly.

Another strategy would be to manually give it a 192.168 address (i.e., statically) and see if that works. I'd suspect it wouldn't, but I've heard some sporadic issues between DHCP on iPAQs and D-Link base stations. If this doesn't make sense, yell and we can go through the steps manually.

Before we go too much further, incidentally, I suggest you download and install vxUtil and vxIPconfig from www.cam.com -- they're handy debugging tools for this kind of situation. For example, vxIPconfig has a "renew" feature that can try to rerequest a real IP address from the D-Link.

--janak

Cornish
08-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Thank you.

I have now tryed setting up a given IP address and its still the same way I cant get onto the wirlessnet work.

I am not shore what is or isnt happening.

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 04:21 AM
I have now tryed setting up a given IP address and its still the same way I cant get onto the wirlessnet work.
Are you saying that you statically assigned it an IP? If so, use vxUtil and the "ping" command to see if you can ping the router. If you can't, which is what your problems suggest, then your iPAQ and router just plain aren't getting along.

At this point one may need to wonder what is happening between the D-Link and the iPAQ. Have you upgraded the D-Link's firmware to the latest version, incidentally? And what kind of wireless setup do you have at work?

I am not shore what is or isnt happening.
Unfortunately, it's hard to debug things remotely. I'm just giving you the standard debugging steps -- there's no guarantee they're going to work. :( Wi-Fi is often a lot more complicated than people make it out to be at first. The solution may be simple, but I haven't seen it yet.

(By the way, if you wanted to downgrade the iPAQ's ROM, this (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20668.html) is what you're looking for. The ROM update is actually semipermanently stored into the unit -- a hard reset is not sufficient, instead a reflash must be done to restore the old version. But only do this if you know for a fact the old ROM worked where the new one doesn't.)

--janak

Cornish
08-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Thank you for all the help.
I am at work and I now am able to get onto the wirelessnetwork now.
Thank you again, I now have to see if I can also get onto my home network.

Thanks again

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 03:59 PM
I am at work and I now am able to get onto the wirelessnetwork now.
Thank you again, I now have to see if I can also get onto my home network.
Cool--so we know the iPAQ itself is behaving properly. Your next bet is to fiddle with the D-Link router. For what it's worth, I've occasionally heard of troubles between D-Link routers and iPAQs. If you've never got it to work at home, first try a firmware update, and if that doesn't go, one has to take a hard look at the router and see if it's the culprit.

--janak

Cornish
08-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Thats the strange thing its always work up to now.
I Updated the firmware a couple of days ago.

Thank you again for you help again.

Janak Parekh
08-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Thats the strange thing its always work up to now.
I Updated the firmware a couple of days ago.
Well, as I suggested in the previous post, there is always the last resort of downgrading the firmware. I believe HP upgraded certain aspects of the wireless setup in the 5500, which may or may not have had an effect.

--janak