View Full Version : Sena Case for 2210

maikii
08-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Who has used the Sena case for the IPAQ 2210? How do you like it? How do you find it compares with other cases, if you have used any others as well?

Ripper014
08-17-2004, 08:59 PM
I spent a long time finding the case I wanted for my Hp2200... My decision was cemented after I purchased a Sena case for my sisters Hp1940...

This a really nice case... and their service could not be better... I had a problem with my case shortly after I purchase it... and they sent me another even before I returned mine... This companies service is first class as are their products... By the way I have a brand new Krusell case that is still in its bubble wrap... that is how much I like the Sena.

mrkablooey
08-18-2004, 12:22 AM
i used a sena for 6-8 months. now i just take the 2215 around "naked".

christak
08-18-2004, 03:27 AM
I have four cases for my 2210 -- Bought 2 and won 2... The Sena is my favorite -- first class case and adds very little bulk...

1 - Sena (sync in case, smallest case available, not too much protection) - bought for $32 via pre-order
2 - Proporta Alu-leather Flip Case (super case, but adds a bit of bulk, good protection) - won
3 - Innopocket Aluminum Case (very nice case, not much bulk, but slippery with moist hands, very good protection -- good travel case) - won
4 - Krusell Flip case (good case for the money, adds some bulk, 2210 moves around in it a bit, good protection) -bought first for less than $20 via pre-order
8)

maikii
08-18-2004, 07:03 AM
I spent a long time finding the case I wanted for my Hp2200... My decision was cemented after I purchased a Sena case for my sisters Hp1940...

This a really nice case... and their service could not be better... I had a problem with my case shortly after I purchase it... and they sent me another even before I returned mine... This companies service is first class as are their products... By the way I have a brand new Krusell case that is still in its bubble wrap... that is how much I like the Sena.

What was the problem you had with your first Sena case?

I was in a hurry when I wrote the OP this morning, so didn't elaborate. I actually just got the Sena case, some things I like about it, other things I don't. I wonder if I might have got a bad one, was wondering about other's opinions.

I actually already had two other cases as well. I have the Krusell flip case, and a Covertec case. I have used the Krusell case most. But a couple times my Ipaq has fallen out of the Krusell case and hit the ground, one time very recently, so I decided to look at other solutions. Why did it fall out? Because I sometimes haven't bothered to snap the closure in back. It's usually OK that way. But a couple times, swivel-clipped to my belt, when not fastened, it has swivelled upside down and fallen out. (Apparently the Krusell fit isn't very tight.) A fall to the ground can be damaging. (By the way, my preference in the Krusell belt clips, is not the default plastic one that comes with it, but the leather clip. It slides on your belt, which is a little hassle, have to do it while dressing, but then it stays (of course the case can be disconnected from the belt clip), and does not dig into you in any position, unlike the plastic clip.)

The Covertec case is easier to fasten, as it has a magnetic closure. However, that closure is also in the back, so one also has to bring the strap around to close it magnetically.

What I like about the Sena case, the main reason I ordered it, is that it has a magnetic clip that fastens in the front, you don't have to bring a strap around the bottom. It really fastens itself. This is really safer for an absent-minded type like me, who might forget to fasten it. It also sounded nice that it was thinner, that it could fit with the case in the dock, etc. So I ordered it. I ordered it without a clip, as I can add a Krusell fastener, to use my Krusell clips. (I have the Krusell car mount in my car, bike mount on my bicycle, etc.) (You can buy the Krusell fastener (I forget what they call it, the little rails, that the knob fastens to) separate, I think around $1.50, which has an adhesive backing that will stick to anything, to use a Krusell clip with anything. I have one on my Iriver iHp 120 music player also (the factory Iriver case, with a Krusell knob thing attached), and it works fine.) )

What I like about the Sena case--the magnetic closure in front, as I just pointed out. I can get it to fit in the dock with the case on, but it took me a while to get the knack of it, you have to press really hard to get it connected, to me that's not a great convenience.

What I don't like about the Sena case--the general fit an finish of the leatherwork is quite poor compared to my Krusell and Covertec cases. (Again, I don't know if I got a bad one, as none of you others mention that.) The edges of the leather feel very stiff and hard, especially the sides of the back piece, not soft and rounded like my other cases. I thought the Sena without the clip might be comfortable to carry in my pocket. I don't think it would be, with those stiff hard edges. In general, it has a cheaper and less-well-made look and feel than the others. The fit doesn't seem to be as precise, although I am sure I would not have the falling-out problem I have had a couple times with Krusell.

In order to get it to fit in the dock with the case on, the bottom of the IPAQ is left almost totally unprotected. I am not sure that trade-off is worth it.

Well, since a couple of you have the Sena and other cases, could you tell me how they compare to you in general fit and finish? I wonder if the hard edges and imprecise fit of the one I received, might mean it was a bad one in the batch, and I should return it for a refund (before I put on the Krusell knob thing!!) , as you did Ripper014. Once more, please tell me why you returned the first one you got, and whether all the problem areas were improved in the replacement you received.

Thank you for your insight.

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2004, 04:08 PM
I have several SENA cases for several PPCs. Maybe I'm not that critical, but I don't have any complaints about the quality and leather. I started with them mainly because they are reasonably priced, can sync in the cradle, and seem to be about the thinnest available. I do keep mine in a pocket. The case has protected the screen and PPC finish from damage from other things in the pocket. Generally it is in a Dockers Mobile Pants zip pocket by itself, but not always.

It does have that slight bowleg appearance around the screen that some folks hate, but I think that is due to the thinner leather that they use. To get the stiffness required to prevent that and still get a glove fit, I would think you would need a slightly thicker leather which I wouldn't like as a trade-off.

What I'd really like to see though, is HP go back into their archives and figure out how those Jornada geniuses were able to make an integral cover. All I really need protected is the screen.

Ripper014
08-18-2004, 06:44 PM
My problem was a magnet that broke on the front of the case... it did not stop the functioning of the unit.. but it was not a pretty sight.

The case itself I like except for a few small issues... one is the thinner leather they use on the sides and back of the case. The second is because of the first... the wings caused by using the thinner leather. If you have ever seen the case for the Hp1900's you would know what I mean. The case is a bit thicker but I like the build much better. Overall I think it is a well designed case... and I absolutely love the magnetic enclosure.

I guess to each their own... but I do like my Sena case... it is smaller than any of the other cases I have seen... and for someone that really struggle with even getting a case... (never saw why someone would want a flip cover) I can live with this one, I can almost say I like it (almost).

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
(never saw why someone would want a flip cover)

Then you never had a Jornada ;) It protected with virtually no addition to the physical size of the unit. Was always available, and interfered with absolutely nothing on the device, not any slots, cradles, or buttons except for those under the lid of course. The Jornada even had a power on setting that reacted to a screen tap. You opened the lid and tapped the screen and it was on. If you didn't like it, you could pop it off (or on) in under a second. You could even get designer color replacements. While some didn't like the flat stylus, it's placement under the lid made it a nearly fluid motion to open the lid and pull the stylus into a ready to write grip. It was brilliant. The only people who don't miss the lid on their Jornadas are those that are still using them. But that's JMHO :)

Ripper014
08-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Didn't I say "that I can almost say I like it....???"

The original Jornada just didn't set right with me... I felt like I had a Star Trek communicator in my hand... but I will admit that since I have had my Sena case... I have come to appreciate its design... I really love the magnetic closure... and the with that comes the flip top... so all in the world is good.

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2004, 11:05 PM
I thought you were talking about the Jornada. I guess the SENA is a flip cover, but I don't really think of it that way. When I see flip cover, I just think integral. My bad.

The original Jornada just didn't set right with me... I felt like I had a Star Trek communicator in my hand... .

And there is something wrong with that???? ;) I keep waiting for the BT speakerphone pin that i can put on my shirt and tap when i get a call :D

pdaided
08-19-2004, 01:04 AM
VAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAA!

Can't say it enough.

Few extra dollars but you wouldn't have to waste time posting questions like this.

www.vajacases.com

christak
08-19-2004, 01:10 AM
VAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAA!

Can't say it enough.

Few extra dollars but you wouldn't have to waste time posting questions like this.

www.vajacases.com

Forgive me, I haven't checked on these in a while... great cases, but don't they add a fair amount of bulk??

:?:

maikii
08-19-2004, 07:32 PM
My problem was a magnet that broke on the front of the case... it did not stop the functioning of the unit.. but it was not a pretty sight.

The case itself I like except for a few small issues... one is the thinner leather they use on the sides and back of the case. The second is because of the first... the wings caused by using the thinner leather.

How did the magnet break? Coming out of the case itself? It's just hard for me to envision what you mean.

The wings?--Do you mean how the sides of the back of the case stick out from the case, and are so hard and stiff? That's one thing I was referring to, in saying the "fit and finish" isn't as good as the other cases I have. Why is that a necessary outcome of using thinner leather? One would think they could make the back fit better to the sides, and not stick out, and make the edges better finished, softer and rounder, and even keep the sides of the back the same black color as the rest of the sides. (Those harsh sides sticking out are why I wrote that I'm not so sure it would be comfortable in a pocket, as well as looks and feel.) (There's no doubt my black Krusell case looks much better than my black Sena case.) (My Covertec case is tan, so it's a whole different look. It certainly looks better made than the Sena.)

The price I don't find that great. $39.99. Bought directly from Sena, with tax and shipping cost almost $50. My Krusell case, which came with a clip, cost less than the clipless Sena I bought. My Covertec case, also with a clip, cost the same price as the clipless Sena. (Sena with a clip would cost more.)

Yet, I like the magnetic closure in front so much, and with the problem I had a couple times with my Krusell case when I forgot to fasten the snap closure, and the IPAQ fell out of the case when it swiveled downwards, I'll probably keep the Sena, and put a Krusell knob on the back.

Ripper014
08-19-2004, 08:47 PM

The case itself I like except for a few small issues... one is the thinner leather they use on the sides and back of the case. The second is because of the first... the wings caused by using the thinner leather.

How did the magnet break? Coming out of the case itself? It's just hard for me to envision what you mean.

The wings?--Do you mean how the sides of the back of the case stick out from the case, and are so hard and stiff? That's one thing I was referring to, in saying the "fit and finish" isn't as good as the other cases I have. Why is that a necessary outcome of using thinner leather? One would think they could make the back fit better to the sides, and not stick out, and make the edges better finished, softer and rounder, and even keep the sides of the back the same black color as the rest of the sides. (Those harsh sides sticking out are why I wrote that I'm not so sure it would be comfortable in a pocket, as well as looks and feel.) (There's no doubt my black Krusell case looks much better than my black Sena case.) (My Covertec case is tan, so it's a whole different look. It certainly looks better made than the Sena.)

The price I don't find that great. $39.99. Bought directly from Sena, with tax and shipping cost almost $50. My Krusell case, which came with a clip, cost less than the clipless Sena I bought. My Covertec case, also with a clip, cost the same price as the clipless Sena. (Sena with a clip would cost more.)

Yet, I like the magnetic closure in front so much, and with the problem I had a couple times with my Krusell case when I forgot to fasten the snap closure, and the IPAQ fell out of the case when it swiveled downwards, I'll probably keep the Sena, and put a Krusell knob on the back.

I am not sure exactly how the magnet got broken... but I think it was when I was sliding the unit into the case... somehow the magnet got folded over... my case was pretty snug.

Yes I am referring to how the case is assembled which causes the so called wings....I personally think that the Sena case is much better built then the Krusell that I have so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. If you think that the price of the Sena case is high, how do you feel about paying the same price for a set of PPCTech's grips...???

The thinner leather is so the case will fit on the cradle while syncing the device a necessary evil... like I have mentioned many times before I wished they had also made a case that did not allow for this... I for one would have bought that one instead and got myself a sync cable.

I don't quite get your post... it seems you just started the thread to complain about it....??? I for one am quite happy with my Sena case... it has cleaner lines than any of the other cases I looked at and it is also the smallest of any that I have seen.

The people at my local "Geek" PPC Club seem quite impressed by the size and build of it... so I guess I am not the only one that thinks highly of this case.

maikii
08-20-2004, 07:34 AM
The thinner leather is so the case will fit on the cradle while syncing the device a necessary evil... like I have mentioned many times before I wished they had also made a case that did not allow for this... I for one would have bought that one instead and got myself a sync cable.

I don't quite get your post... it seems you just started the thread to complain about it....??? I for one am quite happy with my Sena case... it has cleaner lines than any of the other cases I looked at and it is also the smallest of any that I have seen.

The way they make it fit on the cradle, is to have almost nothing on the bottom of the unit, not the overall thinness of the leather. Most of the bottom is covered by nothing at all, when in the Sena case. And you have to press hard, to get it in the cradle with the case on. If you dropped the IPAQ with the Sena case on, and the bottom part (where the cradle connector is) hit the ground first, the case sure wouldn't offer much protection.

You don't get my post?? I don't get your last paragraph. :roll: No, I didn't start a thread just to complain about anything. As I said, I just bought a Sena case, although I already have two other cases, and I will probably keep it, although I am unhappy with some aspects of it. I didn't know if the aspects that I didn't like were unique to the one I received, and whether I should ask about an exchange. Therefore, I asked for input from others who have this case, what theirs is like., etc. I wrote about how much I like the magnetic closure in front, and for that reason I'll probably keep the case. I also wrote about some things I don't like about the Sena case.

In writing about a product, is one only allowed to write positive comments about a product, and not write what one doesn't like about it, or be told "you just started the thread to complain!"