View Full Version : Replay-Radio

Munkee
08-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi peeps,

does anyone out there use Applians "Replay-Radio"? If yes, what do you think of it?

Basically, I'm after a program that allows me to record streaming web-radio and then play it back on my XDA2. Ideally, I would like the resulting file to be OGG, but I don't think there is anything out there that can do this. I realise that "Replay-Radio" converts direct to MP3, which is good for me i guess, but is there anything else out there that is better than this soft?

Another feature I like about this soft, is that you can schedule recordings.
Can anything else do this?

Many thanks for any help

dean_shan
08-16-2004, 04:15 PM
I've used Ripcast but it too only saves the streams as MP3.

piperpilot
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I use Replay Radio every day to record 6 hours of radio shows and play them back with Replay Player on my iPAQ 5455 during my long commute back and forth to work. I highly recommend it and Applian just came out with a new update for the software that make it easier to use.

Munkee
08-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the help guys :)

jkendrick
08-18-2004, 03:40 PM
I use StationRipper which is great and free.

http://www.ratajik.com/stationripper/

dean_shan
08-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey Jkendrick, thanks for the link, I like StationRipper better then RipCast. I only used the limited demo, I was too cheep to buy it.

darrylb
08-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Cant remember for sure, but I think there is an option in Replay Radio to save to wav file - you should then be able to convert this to OGG.

Personally, I've found the new version of replay radio does not stop recording when the stream stops so you get long silences at the end of the track. The old version worked fine. I'm recording archives though (not that it should make a difference).

piperpilot
08-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Personally, I've found the new version of replay radio does not stop recording when the stream stops so you get long silences at the end of the track. The old version worked fine.

I haven't had that experience, although my tapings are always timed. The feature that I like best about the new version is the ability to take one long recording (say, a 3-hour radio show) and break it into smaller segments without having to start a new recording session after every break.

DarrenS
08-20-2004, 06:27 PM
[quote="darrylb"]Cant remember for sure, but I think there is an option in Replay Radio to save to wav file - you should then be able to convert this to OGG.[quote]

Yes, Replay Radio does wirte to WAV files. The current version supports:
MP3 - CD Quality (56 Mb/hr)
MP3 - FM Radio Quality (28 Mb/hr)
MP3 - AM Radio Quality (7 Mb/hr)
WAV File
You can also have it automatically create an Audio CD or a MP3 CD.

I have been using Replay Radio since its inital version and version 5 is excellent.

piperpilot
08-20-2004, 08:39 PM
I have been using Replay Radio since its inital version and version 5 is excellent.

I generally agree, although I encountered a strange problem with it today. I have RR set up to record a 3 hour radio program and break the resulting MP3 into 3 separate files, one for each hour. At the end of each hour, the program puts the file for that hour in my recordings file. If I try to right click on the file to copy it onto my SD card while program is busy recording the next hour, the act of right clicking on the previous hour's MP3 interrupts the stream and causes the it to continuously loop the last second or so that it was recording. If I unclick the file, the stream returns to normal. Strange. Very strange.

darrylb
08-21-2004, 03:56 AM
Strange. Very strange.

<cue twilight zone music> :)