View Full Version : picking up neighbours access point

Chris Pi
08-15-2004, 05:47 PM
One of my neightbours must have bought a Linksys access point/router lately because my Ipaq 5550 has been connecting to it sometimes. Obviously since every time it does this I can't access anything and have to go into settings to select my network manually I don't want it to do this. Is there any way to setup my Ipaq 5550 so it always connects to my access point and skips my neighbours?

David Prahl
08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
At least on Dell's wireless utility (and most notebook PCs), you can set up 'preferred networks' that your unit looks for right away.

You should let your neighbor know that their network is open, too! A quick tweak or two in the settings will make it much more secure.

Chris Pi
08-16-2004, 02:55 PM
My Ipaq 5550 has a checkbox to "automatically connect to non preferred networks" but I haven't found an area to program my preferred networks.

Like you said I'd like to inform my neighbour about it as I'm sure I've been interfering with him as much as he has with me but I live in attached housing with attached housing in front of me and a subdivision behind me so I don't even know where to start - and when on his network I get a low signal indicator so it could be 3 or 4 units away I guess (though 802.11b is pretty weak). That and his non-descript ssid of "linksys" doesn't give me much to go on. I'll have to ask around at the block party :wink:

PetiteFlower
08-16-2004, 08:51 PM
On a desktop it's easy to program your preferred networks though so he's probably not noticing you at all.