View Full Version : Digital Media

DiGiTYZED
08-13-2004, 09:58 PM
I see these amazing portable digital media players popping up (creative labs 20 gb zen portable media center, Samsung Yepp YH-999 20 GB Portable Media Center, Archos players).

I was just wondering if there something like that for home (not portable)? I want something exactly like those PMCs but with a cd player or even a dvd player.

I'm moving back to campus, have a small room and don't have space for a entertainment center, though I want one.

any ideas? any gadgets come close to that besides the portables coming out?

Jason Dunn
08-13-2004, 11:38 PM
I haven't seen anything that has a CD/DVD reader in it - generally speaking putting something like that in makes for a sizeable device. The best you could do might be to find one that has video inputs and hook up an external DVD player to it...

(you might want to ask this over on www.digitalmediathoughts.com as well)

DiGiTYZED
08-14-2004, 02:09 AM
yeah, i'll try digital media thoughts.

i'm basically looking for a home/desktop version on those PMCs.

OSUKid7
08-14-2004, 04:58 AM
I'd say your best bet is to buy/build yourself a mini-ITX computer. If you don't need it to be portable, they're just a little larger and would do the trick.

Keep in mind that when Microsoft made the PMCs, they built the OS on Windows CE. However, Windows XP MCE was (obviously) built on the NT kernel. You're not gonna have exactly the same experience with WinXP, or WinXP MCE, but until MS lets people build custom WinCE devices, you're out of luck.

Jason Dunn
08-14-2004, 05:39 AM
If you're looking for a great media box and are short on space, get a silent Shuttle ST62K (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,4956), a PCI TV tuner card, and SnapStream Beyond TV3. It's magical! :-D

Wiggster
08-14-2004, 05:47 AM
It's magical! :-D
So if something goes wrong, you have to contact the Tech Support Wizard?

DiGiTYZED
08-19-2004, 05:27 PM
I already went down that HTPC, nano/mini-itx road before. I don't want two PCs. I want to avoid that.

Oh well, I guess my xbox with XBMC will have to do. Or maybe I'll just get a PMC device.

It's stupid they don't make a home version of PMCs. (not including MCE PCs)

OSUKid7
08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
It's stupid they don't make a home version of PMCs. (not including MCE PCs)What's preventing you from using a PMC at home? It's called a Portable Media Center for a reason. You're supposed to take it with you and listen/watch on the go.

DiGiTYZED
08-19-2004, 09:46 PM
I get ya drift buddy. Portable also means limitations and restrictions.

I'm not a video gadget on the go kind of guy. I just think it'll be a waste if I get a portable media center that's just going to sit in my room like a stereo system or TV.