View Full Version : ActiveSync & Exchange 2003 -- cannot sync Tasks with server?

taylorantone
08-13-2004, 06:58 AM
I always used to sync with my Outlook PST file and the real-time sync was fantastic.

Recently, I set up ActiveSync to connect to my Exchange 2003 server and it syncs flawlessly in the cradle. However, I've noticed a few things that I can't find an answer to anywhere, so I figured I'd pick your brains:

1. TASKS -- Only Inbox, Calendar, and Contacts sync with the server directtly? What about Tasks?? I also use OMA and OWA when I'm out, so being able to edit Tasks via one of those channels and being able to ActiveSync those tasks and any updates I've made on the PPC over the internet (Exchange 2003 perk which I have working) would be great!

2. Am I understanding this correctly that, unlike syncing with a local Outlook PST or OST which is real-time anc continuous, syncing with Exchange is on a timed interval? I have it set for 5 minutes, which is the shortest, but that seems kinda lame really. I understand that it's to conserve on network bandwidth usage, but I should be able to choose a shorter interval I think. Can I correct this?

The mobile features of Exch 2003 are fantastic, but it seems like it could be a bit better.

Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated!

PR.
08-13-2004, 10:24 AM
1. TASKS -- Only Inbox, Calendar, and Contacts sync with the server directtly? What about Tasks?? I also use OMA and OWA when I'm out, so being able to edit Tasks via one of those channels and being able to ActiveSync those tasks and any updates I've made on the PPC over the internet (Exchange 2003 perk which I have working) would be great!

Nope :) The only way to sync your tasks is to put it in a cradle and sync them on the desktop, Maybe if you have an office machine that you leave on all the time (which I do) you can wireless sync with it. I've started doing this and so far so good

2. Am I understanding this correctly that, unlike syncing with a local Outlook PST or OST which is real-time anc continuous, syncing with Exchange is on a timed interval? I have it set for 5 minutes, which is the shortest, but that seems kinda lame really. I understand that it's to conserve on network bandwidth usage, but I should be able to choose a shorter interval I think. Can I correct this?

Nope :) It's there to stop clients hammering the exchange server repeatedly. I have mine at 15min intervals, if I'm waiting for something I just press sync and do it manually.

Its possible someone might release an addon/plugin for Exchange 2003, but I wouldn't hold my breath :)

Keep an eye on sites like:
http://www.msexchange.org/
http://www.slipstick.com/

Janak Parekh
08-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Its possible someone might release an addon/plugin for Exchange 2003, but I wouldn't hold my breath :)
There are desktop redirector solutions, though, that sync notes & tasks. IntelliSync makes one for Verizon Wireless -- not sure it's available standalone. I think there are a few others on the market as well.

--janak

taylorantone
08-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't earlier versions of MIS allow Tasks to sync with the Exchange server directly? Is this new with 2003?

I've tried the wireless sync with my desktop. I connected to the internet and kicked off a sync. It synced with the Exchange server (via the internet), then auto-connected to my VPN connection and initiated a sync with my desktop PC (I had to add an entry to Pocket Hosts).

I watched my desktop PC ActiveSync go green, and then HanDBase started but stopped immediately like there was nothing to sync. And ActiveSync only showed "Connected" as the status and never actually sync'd anything at all. I did this multiple times with the same result.

Am I missing something here? I've had this working before, but only when using the local PST and not Exchange directly.

Thanks for the help on the other two questions and thanks in advance for help on this one.

PR.
08-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Hmm. it works ok for me, but I only use Tasks/Files/Avantgo to sync. I use a VPN to connect to my works PC

Perhaps a word with the HanDBase people might reveal something?