View Full Version : wifi and dialup

Islander
08-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Hey, just got my new Asus A716 yesterday, love it...sweet machine. More details to follow, when I have some sleep, and have regained the use of my brain.

What I need is a way to connect to the internet...from home...easily... or on the road, would be nice..is this too much to ask? Might be, according to the dialup hell in which I live. I can connect to the internet with my cellphone, a samsung SPH a460 ... I can dial my isp with my cordless phone, (can't do anything, of course, but I can dial!) There must be a decent, easy way to use my dialup with the wifi and/or bluetooth built into this ppc.

I don't have highspeed access. Satellite access is too cost prohibitive for not enough benefit. I have a dialup phone number, an account, and my Asus A716 :) Help Me!

I use an AOpen FM56 PCI modem to access my dialup connection.

I have Gigabit LAN onboard (Abit IC7-G mobo) WinXp Pro...any other details gladly availlable on request.

What are my options? (other than moving to a city...)

mara6
08-13-2004, 03:10 AM
I used to have a A716, but then sold it for the X30 High. :D Anyway, the easiest way to get internet on your A716 with dial up, is over WiFi. Just set up an Ad-Hoc WiFi Network at your house. To do this get a WiFi Adapter (at Walmart or Best Buy) and connect that to your computer, and set it up. Then on your dial up, right click on it in the network connection window and select properties, and select "allow internet connection sharing". Then it will share your internet through the adapter and to your A716! That is my current setup and it works great! :)

mara6
08-13-2004, 03:12 AM
All you have to do on your A716 is change the WiFi channel to the same one you set the adapter to. ;)

Islander
08-14-2004, 03:58 AM
I used to have a A716, but then sold it for the X30 High. :D Anyway, the easiest way to get internet on your A716 with dial up, is over WiFi. Just set up an Ad-Hoc WiFi Network at your house. To do this get a WiFi Adapter (at Walmart or Best Buy) and connect that to your computer, and set it up. <clippage>

Walmart! Geez Louise. what next. anyway. Here's what I have scoped out so far.

Linksys Wireless G 54Mbps Access Point
Belkin 10' CAT5 Yellow Crossover Patch Cable

Does this sound about right? Cable, for WAP to ethernet..since no router in between...

My head hurts, bad brain day.

If it looks like it will work, aka get me online, anywhere in the house/back deck, easily (HA) then I will try it. Oh yeah, one more question... My PPC *will* dial that up right...I don't have to get the PC online first, I hope...and also, will this tie up my phone line, or just use the dialup number ...I dunno. I built this computer..but I am a babe in the woods when it comes to wireless.

Thanks again.

mara6
08-14-2004, 04:21 AM
Oh, sorry I didn't realize that you live in Canada. Anyway, I'm confused by your reply...

1. Dial Up doesn't work with routers (at least not to my knowledge)
2. If you do the ad-hoc network (with WiFi adapter on PC), then your PC will have to be on and dialed in for it to broadcast it through WiFi and get to your Axim. ;)

My head hurts also... :frusty:

Islander
08-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Oh, sorry I didn't realize that you live in Canada. Anyway, I'm confused by your reply...

1. Dial Up doesn't work with routers (at least not to my knowledge)
2. If you do the ad-hoc network (with WiFi adapter on PC), then your PC will have to be on and dialed in for it to broadcast it through WiFi and get to your Axim. ;) (A716 :P ) and HA! -I am confused by my reply. :bangin:

Well...what I had listed is a WAP, from what I gathered, just a jump for the wifi signal from the dialup connection. -Gotta point the wifi somewhere, right? I dunno, see, this is all new to me. I am also hoping that I can dial up the isp phone number wirelessly, and avoid being on my actual phone line...silly me.

The cable is for jumpin the gap between the WAP and the lack of actual router, and to the pc. takin out the middle man so to say.

Someone please tell me I don't need to go to my PC, dialup, and walk away with my A716, and connect. that would so suck, and would waste my $100 of WAP setup money.

Another evil point in my dialup life. The computer I just built, nice system. picked out everything from the mobo to the case (that was HARD to pick!) ...my specs...

ANTEC SX1040 TOWER 400W ATX12V P/S
ABIT IC7-G S478 875P DUAL DDR SATA RAID
2 x SEAGATE BARRACUDA -SERIAL ATA 120GB
ATI RADEON ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO 128MB
BELL EXPRESSVU Sat dish
LOGITECH CORDLESS MX DUO MX700
M-AUDIO REVOLUTION 7.1 PCI SOUND CARD
LITEON BLACK 16X DVD-ROM
LITEON DVD+R/RW
KINGSTON HYPERX 512MB DUAL CH. KIT PC3200
INTEL PENTIUM 4 P4 3.0GHZ
LOGITECH Z-5300 5.1 SPEAKERS 280W THX
VIEWSONIC G220FB 21IN FLAT BLACK
WINDOWS XP PRO SP1

I call it "HellBoy". 0X The killer is, after all that, I am still on DIALUP.

Now I want to set up my A716 on in-house wifi...and I am getting worried. ( depressed, frustrated, fill in the next word____)

:helpme:

mara6
08-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Someone please tell me I don't need to go to my PC, dialup, and walk away with my A716, and connect. that would so suck, and would waste my $100 of WAP setup money.

Damn, I'm at the Aximsite to much!

Well the part that I quoted from your reply is true, you have to dial up on your computer, then walk away...:)