View Full Version : Does Wi-Fi Proof Wallpaper Come in Pretty Paisley Patterns?

Jonathon Watkins
08-13-2004, 12:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/12/wifi_wallpaper/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/0...wifi_wallpaper/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"British boffins have developed wallpaper that blocks Wi-Fi traffic but still allows other wireless transmissions to pass through in a bid to prevent unauthorised access to sensitive data via the WLAN. Developed by UK defence company BAE Systems, the wallpaper uses Frequency Selective Surface (FSS) sheeting, a material more commonly found slapped on military aircraft, naval vessels and radar antennae, New Scientist reports. In this case, the FSS material is manufactured to absorb signals in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands used by 802.11a, b and g equipment. Other frequencies, such as the 1800MHz band used by GSM networks, are not blocked."</i><br /><br />Ooooookay. That's one of those ideas that seems daft at first, but make sense the more you think about it. Or at least it did for me anyway. Just think, with all the energy from those radio waves bouncing round your office, the companies deploying this won't need to spend much money on heating bills. :lol: So, Wi-Fi warping wallpaper: will you wrap your walls with it to withstand WLAN wire(less)tapping? :wink:

maximus
08-13-2004, 01:24 AM
What is the price anyway ? Cheap enough to be used in average households ?

Jonathon Watkins
08-13-2004, 01:33 AM
What is the price anyway ? Cheap enough to be used in average households ?

If you have to ask the price.....

My guess is that the cost will be jaw dropping, certainly for enough to cover an office. I also doubt you can get hold of this easily - IF it is going to be commercially available. Apart from that, no problem. :wink:

Gremmie
08-13-2004, 02:51 AM
Hrm, personally, not going to want this for my place. One benefit of wifi is working outside. On a personal level I'm comfortable with basic encryption and/or MAC filtering. Right now, I use neither...anyone trying to find a file on my system is going to be disappointed when they find the important ones are protected, but I don't want to block some poor guy trying to get his email...

mara6
08-13-2004, 03:15 AM
This is stupid, because then the WiFi wouldn't get to the rest of your house, if the room where the router is, is covered with the Anti-WiFi Wallpaper. :roll:

newbie2
08-13-2004, 03:22 AM
Then how about windows etc? Don't tell me office doesn't have windows? Surely the wifi signal can escape from there rite?

Gremmie
08-13-2004, 03:28 AM
This is stupid, because then the WiFi wouldn't get to the rest of your house, if the room where the router is, is covered with the Anti-WiFi Wallpaper. :roll:

I think it's meant for the outer walls between the street and office. Newbie2 has a point though, windows is an escape.

felixdd
08-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Does it bounce or does it block? If it bounces, it should help interior signal significantly.

Windows can be partially protected by embedding a metal mesh into the glass. I suspect a thin layer of metal (i.e. gold?) will do as well. If you're high up on the 60th floor, you won't have much to worry about in terms of an open window.

mara6
08-13-2004, 03:40 AM
Does it bounce or does it block? If it bounces, it should help interior signal significantly.

Windows can be partially protected by embedding a metal mesh into the glass. I suspect a thin layer of metal (i.e. gold?) will do as well. If you're high up on the 60th floor, you won't have much to worry about in terms of an open window.

Don't be so sure, I've heard of War Driving Window Washers... :mrgreen:

Sven Johannsen
08-13-2004, 03:47 AM

In this case, the FSS material is manufactured to absorb signals in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands used by 802.11a, b and g equipment.

Better that way, anyway. Aside from the multipath that would result in reflection, an inward reflecting chamber at 2.4GHz is esentially a microwave oven.

Ryan Joseph
08-13-2004, 05:34 AM
Don't be so sure, I've heard of War Driving Window Washers... :mrgreen:

:rotfl: Ha ha! I never thought of that!

Better that way, anyway. Aside from the multipath that would result in reflection, an inward reflecting chamber at 2.4GHz is esentially a microwave oven.

8O So if I put a wireless router into a sealed chamber (like an oven) I could heat food with it? Scary!

dean_shan
08-13-2004, 05:40 AM

:microwave: Good point.

maximus
08-13-2004, 06:43 AM
8O So if I put a wireless router into a sealed chamber (like an oven) I could heat food with it? Scary!

Lets do a Thoughts Review on that ... and let us know the result.
To ensure accuracy of the review, of course someone should be inside the chamber to do realtime temperature check on the food. :mrgreen:

Jonathon Watkins
08-13-2004, 10:30 AM

:microwave: Good point.

Finally a good valid use for that emoticon! :lol:

As it says in the article, you do indeed need special glass as well as the wallpaper for your office to be completely shielded.

bjornkeizers
08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
:microwave:

(I'm determined to get all the mileage out of it that I can :D )

You know, maybe I should try that on some of our more annoying network users ;-)

Ryan Joseph
08-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Lets do a Thoughts Review on that ... and let us know the result.
To ensure accuracy of the review, of course someone should be inside the chamber to do realtime temperature check on the food. :mrgreen:

Hmmm...excellent idea. My little sister has always wanted to help me with a review... :P

Seriously, though, I really wonder if I could try this. The only problem would be figuring out a way to get the wires into the oven without them breaking the seal. Thinking, thinnking...............

ombu
08-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Great, just put the pop-corn on your desk and you're done, really flying doves. :mrgreen:

Sven Johannsen
08-13-2004, 03:04 PM

Yawl are having fun with this which is what was intended. Remember that microwaves are spec'd in 100s of watts, and your AP is probably spec'd in milliwatts. The frequency of microwave ovens is right around 2.4Ghz though, the resonant frequency of water. That's why there are no large TX allocations in that band and it is available to the zillion little low power RF systems that use it. You are welcome to try this at home, but I expect you will need an extremely precise thermometer to see the temperature rise in the cup of water.

dean_shan
08-13-2004, 04:04 PM

I've been waiting forever to use it. Now if I can only find a use for Alf. :alfdance:

Jonathon Watkins
08-13-2004, 04:19 PM

I've been waiting forever to use it. Now if I can only find a use for Alf. :alfdance:

So, submit a story to us that we can put on the front page, that requires it............ :wink:

rocky_raher
08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Now if I can only find a use for Alf. :alfdance:

I believe that some prop manager in Hollywood is using him to wax & polish his car. :-)

mrkablooey
08-17-2004, 01:00 AM
no way. alf is making a come-back (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002DB5N6/qid=1092700799/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0844080-4303917?v=glance&s=dvd).