View Full Version : bluetooth GPS + streaming MP3 using a phone and PPC?

sjs
08-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi,
Is this possible? Can any PPC do this SIMULTANEOUSLY:
1) stream shoutcast mp3 audio (from a Bluetooth phone or maybe it IS a PPC Phone?)
2) talk to a bluetooth GPS so I can see maps
3) route the audio of both the shoutcast and map turn by turn directions to a bluetooth headset.

Also...i know this probably is really stretching it...but can I actually make a phone call while using the GPS? That would really be ideal.

I guess I don't understand if bluetooth PPC’s support multiple simultaneous bluetooth connections. Will I be able to switch to the GPS software while listening to streaming MP3, and vice versa?

Thanks in advance

OneAngryDwarf
08-17-2004, 07:17 PM
u can have multiple bluetooth connections open... problem is and i can't really test this (don't have a PPC phone) or don't care to in the case of shoutcast streaming. You should be able to answer the phone with the gps on and you should even be able to stream shoutcast too (can't imagine it would be very good over gprs) but I would be concerned with resources... I don't know how much the gps takes up or the shoutcast stream but I would be weary of how much they need individually (in terms of processor utilization and memory utilization)

Sven Johannsen
08-17-2004, 07:37 PM
I think you will be limited more by the headset than the PPC. If the PPC is getting the shoutcast stream via GPRS and playing it via Media player, and the GPS is connected and providing audio commands (which is doable), and both of those are audible via the PPC speaker, then connecting the BT headset should/will route all that audio to the headset. This much I can try this evening. Trying to make a phone call at that point, assuming a PPC and a phone, would require the headset to disconnect from the PPC and connect to the phone.

Not sure what would happen on a phone edition, but can you make a call while media player is running and some other program is producing audio commands? Does it send the distant party audio + the media + the other audio to the earpiece? If so I would expect it could be redirected to the headset, but I don't know how you could listen to it all. I would expect a PPCPE to mute the normal audio during a phone call though.

sjs
08-18-2004, 06:26 PM
right...kinda what i thought. these new PPCs are fast...600mhz..so i dont think resources is the issue. i think like u said it is more a routing issue. like on XP u can cross route signals different places...prob not so yet on PPC.... i guess it all seems fairly doable tho. i just did a test and i successfully streamed 24kbps stream from my sprint cmda phone to my mac, no dropouts. anything about 24kbps was no good tho...interesting...