View Full Version : RIM Evolving Devices, Branching Out Into Smartphones?

Janak Parekh
08-12-2004, 05:45 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/1512964652917275/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1512964652917275/</a><br /><br /></div>Engadget picked up on rumors of a juicy new RIM device, the "Charm": <i>"We’d heard awhile back that Research In Motion was planning a slimmer, more cellphone-like version of the BlackBerry (many of which double as clunky cellphones, of course) codenamed “Charm”. We’d almost completely forgotten about it (hey, there are a TON of gadgets to keep on top of these days), when some photos materialized over the weekend of a new BlackBerry which does indeed look a heck of a lot like a cellphone."</i><br /><br />There's a picture of the device on Engadget as well, which makes it look much more like a classic Smartphone form factor than a typical Blackberry. If you look closely at the keyboard, it still has the full alphabet, but using a funky keyboard layout that seems much closer to a dialpad than a Blackberry keyboard.<br /><br />In my opinion, this is happening because RIM is losing exclusivity on push email. My Samsung i700 is now a pretty serviceable push email client, thanks to Verizon Wireless's Wireless Sync and always-on 1xRTT (utilizing WMPE2003's "dormant CDMA" feature) -- and they support not only the i700, but the i600 WM2003 smartphone and the Treo 600 -- plus it supports over-the-air PIM sync for everything, including Notes. IMHO, RIM is going to have to diversify their product lineup to keep up their marketshare.

MikeUnwired
08-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Haven't the more recent units been smart phones already?

I think that they are missing the mark with the unit I saw on engadget. The CrackBerry caught on because of the spacious QWERTY keyboard. Look at how people are drooling over the coming MPx. I think going in the direction of that unit is a mistake for them.

bcries
08-12-2004, 08:03 AM
I've seen test models floating around for a few months (RIM headquarters are right next to my campus; it is a UW startup company and our single biggest co-op employer). My friends who work at the company have been kind enough to give me a few short demos ;) Of course, I'm sure RIM watches this website, so I'll be kind enough to keep most details to myself for now... sorry guys.

The new devices are nice, and actually a logical next-step for the Blackberry line, in my opinion.

MikeUnwired is correct in that previous Blackberrys over the past couple of years have also been cell phones, though the colour screen is something they held off on for a long time. Don't worry though: as far as I can tell, this device isn't quite the MPx; expect RIM hallmarks of business-like, linear simplicity in the interface and very tight speeds.

I like RIM. If I were rich (or if I worked there), I'd have a Blackberry. They always do a few things really well, instead of doing everything some eVB goof can come up with sorta-well :)

mty
08-12-2004, 10:04 PM
This may be more about growing market share than protecting it. RIM has a loyal corporate customer base that is not about to jump ship for more complex devices. Also, their IT shops want to support only one product as the corporate standard--usually RIM gets the nod b/c of their focus on doing email right.