View Full Version : SD GPS Receiver

yanathin
08-12-2004, 12:26 AM
I know there are tons of Compact Flash GPS receivers out there, but those don't work very well with a 4150 PPC. Are there any SD GPS receivers out there? If so, how do they perform next to a wireless Bluetooth GPS receiver, if there is any difference in speed at all? Do the Bluetooth ones cost more money? I would really appreciate answers to any of these questions.. Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2004, 02:51 AM
They do exist.
http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2380&pf%5Fid=MP730960&listing=1

Note the price. Note that BT is cheaper. Note that BT is less likely to snap off. Note that when the SDIO GPS is in the SD slot, you have no room for map memory. Wonder how they plan on selling these? ;)

yanathin
08-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Never thought of the whole memory issue. Wow, that IS kind of stupid... Haha, thanks.

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Never thought of the whole memory issue. Wow, that IS kind of stupid... Haha, thanks.

Not that it can't be done. If you only need a couple of maps, and depending on the application, you could get away with it on a 4150. Mine has the PPCTechs 64M upgrade, so it would even be more doable.

The real use for one of these is if you have a dual slot device and have chosen to go for CF memory and SD peripherals. The CF memory is cheaper and can be had in bigger capacities, so there is some logic to that decision.

For you though, I'd go the BT route, unless you are mainly going to use this in a car, then the cable GPSs that hook in through the serial sync port are very economical. On longer trips you are going to have a cable to power the PPC and/or the BT GPS anyway, so a cable ot two is inevitable.