View Full Version : Geekzone's Guide To XP SP2 Bluetooth Activesync

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=3163' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=3163</a><br /><br /></div><i>"If you haven't had your head in the sand lately, you'll know that Microsoft release Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP to manufacturing recently...There are big changes in XP Service Pack 2 with regards to Bluetooth. If you are already using Bluetooth for synchronizing your Windows Mobile device, you'll need to be smart about the upgrade process, because if you don't do it right, you won't be able to Bluetooth ActiveSync after the upgrade. This is a quick start guide to take you quickly through the steps to get Bluetooth ActiveSync working after the upgrade."</i><br /><br />Yet another useful Bluetooth article from Geekzone. I'd use this, except neither of my Bluetooth cards aren't supported by Microsoft's native Bluetooth stack yet (I have a Portege 3505 with integrated Bluetooth and a TDK PC card at home). You can check the list of out-of-the-box supported devices <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=841803">here</a>, and <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883259">here's</a> a Microsoft KB article giving a useful overview of the Bluetooth support built into SP2. If your BT device isn't supported, just install SP2 and it should leave your existing BT stack alone.

JonnoB
08-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Yet another useful Bluetooth article from Geekzone. I'd use this, except neither of my Bluetooth cards aren't supported by Microsoft's native Bluetooth stack yet
Same here - with an IO Gear USB dongle... they refuse to even update the Widcomm stack they provided.

If your BT device isn't supported, just install SP2 and it should leave your existing BT stack alone.
Unfortunately, for me, SP2 totally breaks the stack that was provided. So, I have no MS stack and no support for the device with the existing software.

gorkon280
08-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately, for me, SP2 totally breaks the stack that was provided. So, I have no MS stack and no support for the device with the existing software.

Makes me glad I had not bought a dongle yet! :D

darrylb
08-10-2004, 11:01 PM
If you look at the list of supported devices, neither the DLink DBT120 or the Belkin dongles I used when writing the article are listed either - yet they both work fine.

The belkin show up as a "BCM2033 Bluetooth 2.4 GHz Single Chip Transceiver" and the DLink dongle shows up as a "Generic Bluetooth Radio".

There are far fewer Bluetooth chipsets than there are bluetooth OEMs, so chances are your device probably has one of the supported chipsets - unless it is based on a really new chipset.

From the KB Article Janak posted (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883259):

To install a Bluetooth device, you only have to connect it. Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) includes drivers for many Bluetooth devices. If Windows does not recognize a Bluetooth device, you can still use it by using the generic software support that Windows includes, or you can use the driver that the device manufacturer provides.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 11:02 PM
There are far fewer Bluetooth chipsets than there are bluetooth OEMs, so chances are your device probably has one of the supported chipsets - unless it is based on a really new chipset.
In my case, both devices are PCI/PCMCIA. As far as I could tell, the list only covers USB chipsets. :| Given that, I was afraid of messing with my BT stacks.

--janak

darrylb
08-10-2004, 11:07 PM
In my case, both devices are PCI/PCMCIA. As far as I could tell, the list only covers USB chipsets. :| Given that, I was afraid of messing with my BT stacks.

The form factor does not necessarily correlate to the chipset. That said, if it aint broke - dont fix it. :wink:

Taxi
08-10-2004, 11:21 PM
My TDK USB adapter has a different Device PID than the two that are supported.

Mine is a USB\VID_04BF&PID_0309

The two that are supported are:
USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320

How many variations could they have made?

Rob Alexander
08-10-2004, 11:49 PM

My Bluetooth adapter is an Ambicom and I don't see anywhere that it is listed, though I take your point that it still might use a supported chipset. The thing is, it sure doesn't make me feel comfortable to take a system that's working perfectly well and install this update based on something that might work. This brings me to two questions that I'm hoping someone can can answer.

1. If SP2 screws everything up, can it be uninstalled?

2. Where do you go to find those device PnPID numbers listed on the MS site? My computer doesn't show the Bluetooth adapter at all under USB devices. Instead, it shows under Other Devices with four entries also under COM Ports.

Thanks!

freitasm
08-11-2004, 12:27 AM

2. Where do you go to find those device PnPID numbers listed on the MS site? My computer doesn't show the Bluetooth adapter at all under USB devices. Instead, it shows under Other Devices with four entries also under COM Ports.

Thanks!

If you have a Widcomm stack working, keep it that way. SP2 will actually reduce the number of services and clients available for your Bluetooth device. If you have a brand new XP installation, then install the Widcomm stack before installing SP2, since this will keep the Widcomm working.

There ways to revert the SP2 Bluetooth installation if needed, but then you start messing around with drivers.

I personally will not use SP2 Bluetooth.

darrylb
08-11-2004, 12:33 AM

1. There is definately a remove option in Add/Remove programs. I'm not game enough to try it though :wink:

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB or \PCMCIA if you are Janak :wink:

You will need to wander through the sub branches (two levels down from here) and find the branch for your device - look for the DeviceDesc key for the description of the device - find your Bluetooth dongle and there will be a HardwareID reg entry for it. This is cryptic and probably not for the uninitiated....

Interestingly enough, the Belkin adapter is different from the one I said earlier. It actually appears as a Blutonium BCM 2035 - not the BCM2033 as I said earlier. Also the PNPID for it is different to the one on the list. It is actually USB\VID_0A5C&PID_200A not USB\VID_0A5C&PID_200F - so it is not on the supported device list either.

Also - further investigation into the DLink reveals that it is detected as a "Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd" chipset, but the PNPID is USB\Vid_0a12&Pid_0001&Rev_0443 - however the compatibility list says USB\Vid_0a12&Pid_0001&Rev_0524 is the supported device.

The bottom line is that MS have got reasonable coverage of devices and variations. If you are going to upgrade, there is a good chance it will work.

If you know someone who has already installed SP2, try plugging the device in and see if it is detected automagically. If it is, you are good to go.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2004, 02:05 AM
The form factor does not necessarily correlate to the chipset. That said, if it aint broke - dont fix it. :wink:
I think I also did a USENET search in this case, and found that my precise adapter didn't recognize, so I've decided to hold off. ;) It would be nice to reduce the number of different drivers in the system. I hope the SP2 establishes a nice standard framework that everyone can build on -- sooner rather than later.

--janak

iPAQ_ace
08-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Groan! Well I'm definately not going to go through all that hassle again with my Belkin USB dongle - but I have a feeling that I will be revisiting my hassles when this gets installed on my PC at work.

As for my home PC, I have Logitech's Bluetooth Wireless Desktop kit which uses the Widcomm stack - pleeeeeeeeeeeease tell me that SP2 will not screw things up with the Widcomm stack.

Badandy
08-11-2004, 02:38 AM
Hey guys. I have a question.

I have built in bluetooth on my Dell laptop, and I was wondering if I still had to follow these instructions, or if I can just leave it alone? I also use dial up from my comp to my SE T610, so would I have to reconfigure that too? Do I uninstall the "Dell Bluetooth Software" that is installed on my computer that displays on the Add/Remove Programs screen?

Help, I am VERY confused. I just got my comp working with by phone and pda over bluetooth (harddrive failed, got a new one) and I really don't want to start all over.

darrylb
08-11-2004, 03:07 AM
Groan! Well I'm definately not going to go through all that hassle again with my Belkin USB dongle - but I have a feeling that I will be revisiting my hassles when this gets installed on my PC at work.

In the guide I was using a Belkin adapter - and it went fine as long as you uninstall the Belkin software first. One of my collegues did not remove the software first and the dongle would not work after the upgrade. That was with RC2 though, not the RTM version. I also experienced problems with the WIDCOMM software for the DLINK (version 1.2.2.something) after the RTM upgrade.

As for my home PC, I have Logitech's Bluetooth Wireless Desktop kit which uses the Widcomm stack - pleeeeeeeeeeeease tell me that SP2 will not screw things up with the Widcomm stack.

Like Mauricio said - the supplied MS one does not support all the Bluetooth profiles, so no guarantees. Do your homework first!

Do I uninstall the "Dell Bluetooth Software" that is installed on my computer that displays on the Add/Remove Programs screen?

Yes - if you want to use the Microsoft driver, it is safest to remove the Dell software before the upgrade to SP2. Because you are removing the bluetooth stack, any pairings will be lost and any service information associated with any paired devices will also be lost. however, you should still be able to use the T610 as a dialup modem from the laptop/desktop after the upgrade and after you have reconfigured it.

Note that I only tested the ActiveSync config - that's all I really use Bluetooth for on my Laptop. On the phone I also use the headset profile, but the laptop is really just for ActiveSync for me. :D

tsballx
08-11-2004, 05:18 AM
I also use a logitech mx mouse and keyboard with bluetooth. It works fine and I did not remove the widcomm stack before installing sp2. Interestingly, I did have to remove the activesync configuration from my ipaq 5500 and pair again with my pc to enable syncing over bluetooth. No big deal.

Leon
08-11-2004, 09:51 AM
What a mess. In the screen shot I saw this Belkin Bluetooth Software 1.2.2.16 which is exactly what I have so I felt pretty confident to try the steps on my laptop with Belkin BT dongle, after already having successfully instaled SP2 on two of my other computers (without Bluetooth).

So I de-installed the original BT software via Add/Remove Software, installed SP2, rebooted, inserted the dongle and... nothing. (Should the dongle have been inserted during the installation and reboot of SP2, I ask myself now).

Anyway, the Found New Hardware wizzard cannot find any drivers. A manual Windows Update does not show any Bluetooth drivers either. Control Panel does not show any BT icon. The Knowledge Base (883258) mentions starting bthprops.cpl (\Windows\system32) but that does nothing. I do not have a Bluetooth Radios category in Device Manager.

Oh well, to be continued... :roll:

freitasm
08-11-2004, 10:17 AM
What a mess. In the screen shot I saw this Belkin Bluetooth Software 1.2.2.16 which is exactly what I have so I felt pretty confident to try the steps on my laptop with Belkin BT dongle, after already having successfully instaled SP2 on two of my other computers (without Bluetooth).
Oh well, to be continued... :roll:

Why? As I said before, the Widcomm stack offers many more features not implemented by Microsoft, so why replace something good that is working, with a reduced version still being implemented?

Also, having the Belkin Bluetooth dongle is no guarantee of compatibility. Belkin is famous for having up to three different products with same code, each different from the other, even using different chipsets!

If you have 1.2.2.16, I suppose you have one of the first models, in this case I don't think they'll be qualified to run on SP2. It would be better to simply keep using the original software.

Leon
08-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Why? Because I have read reports from some people that the Widcomm stack stops working after SP2 is installed. When I read the article on Geekzone I thought: let's take no risk and follow these steps.

darrylb
08-11-2004, 11:24 AM
The steps were the exact steps I used to upgrade my computer with the Belkin dongle. It worked fine for me and I have no problems syncing now.

Like you I also found that it would not work after SP2. I've heard similar reports.

If you go into device manager and look under the Universal Serial Bus branch, do you see a bluetooth dongle listed? If so, right click on it and select Uninstall. Double check that there is no Widcomm software installed in Add/Remove Programs, then try inserting the dongle into the USB port again.

It may be that the old drivers did not uninstall properly.

Leon
08-11-2004, 11:42 AM
In the Universal Serial Bus branch there's only the Universal Host Controllers and USB Root Hubs. There's no Widcomm software installed in Add/Remove Programs. Reconnecting the dongle lists a USB Device under '? Other Devices' but it seems to be unable to detect any drivers from Windows Upgrade.

darrylb
08-11-2004, 11:47 AM
If you go into the registry and look under the key quoted earlier on - what is the PNPID of the device? I think there may be several variations of the Belkin adapter....

Jereboam
08-11-2004, 11:53 AM
I would highly recommend that also Sony Vaio users who have been cursed with Bluespace and the crippled "we only support sync with Palms" functionality upgrade to SP2's stack.

I now finally have Activesync over Bluetooth working...means I can leave one more cable in the bag when I travel.

I should note that I uninstalled Bluespace and the virtual COM port after I installed SP2 and all seems well.

I had to manually reassign the COM ports in Device Manager however - the new COM ports all came in 13 or higher, and Activesync only wanted to use 3 or 4, and I believe is limited to seeing ports 9 and under.

But it works. At last.

J'bm

Leon
08-11-2004, 11:56 AM
It was USB\VID_0A5C&PID_200A but it's gone now.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it disappeared after de-installing the original drivers through Add/Remove Programs or after removing the registry entry {e0cb...974} from KB 883258 ("What can I do if my BT devices do not function"). That didn't help me much because the next step is clicking the BT Radio device, which I don't have...

x94webboy
08-11-2004, 12:52 PM

My Bluetooth adapter is an Ambicom and I don't see anywhere that it is listed, though I take your point that it still might use a supported chipset. The thing is, it sure doesn't make me feel comfortable to take a system that's working perfectly well and install this update based on something that might work. This brings me to two questions that I'm hoping someone can can answer.

Thanks!

Rob, I have the Ambicom bluetooth dongle and have upgraded to SP2. The Ambicom dongle was recognized without a problem and works fine. As someone else mentioned, SP2 can be uninstalled and a restore point is created as well.

Don't forget to uninstall the Ambicom software/drivers before you upgrade to SP2.

Leon
08-11-2004, 02:31 PM
OK, so, reading this thread, we now have the following opinions:

Use OEM drivers and wait with installing SP2
Install SP2 and continue to use OEM drivers
Deinstall OEM drivers and install SP2
Install SP2 and then deinstall the OEM drivers
(did I miss any other option?)

and we have no idea what the best option is.
:?

JonnoB
08-11-2004, 04:56 PM
OK, so, reading this thread, we now have the following opinions:

Use OEM drivers and wait with installing SP2
Install SP2 and continue to use OEM drivers
Deinstall OEM drivers and install SP2
Install SP2 and then deinstall the OEM drivers
(did I miss any other option?)

and we have no idea what the best option is.
:?

Or try all of them and find that none work at all. For example, the 1.2.x Widcomm stack which fails to work at all under SP2 (at least for me)

Leon
08-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Well, the first one should work. :)

But I know what you mean. I tried reinstalling the Belkin software but that failed miserably.

freitasm
08-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, the first one should work. :)

But I know what you mean. I tried reinstalling the Belkin software but that failed miserably.

That's why I posted before to keep your software. If it works after installing SP2, don't remove it. SP2 is not worth it, unless you are only doing ActiveSync, and only if you are reallu sure the device will work.

JonnoB
08-11-2004, 08:37 PM
That's why I posted before to keep your software. If it works after installing SP2, don't remove it. SP2 is not worth it, unless you are only doing ActiveSync, and only if you are reallu sure the device will work.

SP2 has many features making it worth the upgrade. BT devices with the Widcomm 1.2.x stack appear to not function under SP2 even if you leave the software in-tact. At least that has been my experience thus far.

freitasm
08-11-2004, 11:21 PM

SP2 has many features making it worth the upgrade. BT devices with the Widcomm 1.2.x stack appear to not function under SP2 even if you leave the software in-tact. At least that has been my experience thus far.

Sorry. My original post should be "SP2 Bluetooth is not worth it". Of course SP2 is an almost mandatory install, with new security features. But if you have Bluetooth working, don't replace it with the SP2 version.

By the way, I've contacted Widcomm about install issues, but so far no reply - not surprising, most companies I know don't reply e-mails. This is an old rant - in general PR companies are really good, but IT contacts are terrible.

Leon
08-11-2004, 11:52 PM
That's why I posted before to keep your software.
For me your warning came too late but other people reading this, it could be helpful.

Maybe I may suggest Geekzone edits its article to warn for the mixed results we are getting here?

Rob Alexander
08-12-2004, 03:30 AM

1. There is definately a remove option in Add/Remove programs. I'm not game enough to try it though :wink:

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB or \PCMCIA if you are Janak :wink:

Thanks for that great info. I'll go take a look and see if mine is there. You other suggestion...

If you know someone who has already installed SP2, try plugging the device in and see if it is detected automagically. If it is, you are good to go.

...makes a lot of sense. I'll install SP2 on the computer that doesn't use the BT first, then plug in the dongle and see what happens. Since BT is the only way I have to sync with that one computer, and since it's working now, I sure hate to mess with it. But I know I really have no choice since everything from here on will end up requiring SP2.

Rob Alexander
08-12-2004, 04:01 AM

Just to follow-up... Thanks, I found it. It turns out to have the PnPID listed in MS's list as a Nanosira Bluetooth Reference Radio Rev 0525. So now that I know it's supported, I'll just follow the instructions on that site. I feel much better now! 8)

Rob Alexander
08-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Rob, I have the Ambicom bluetooth dongle and have upgraded to SP2. The Ambicom dongle was recognized without a problem and works fine. As someone else mentioned, SP2 can be uninstalled and a restore point is created as well.

Don't forget to uninstall the Ambicom software/drivers before you upgrade to SP2.

&lt;Slapping the side of my head> :silly: Thanks!!! If only I'd read the entire thread, before responding tonight, I could have saved myself the trouble of searching through the registry. Oh well, better to have it confirmed twice than not at all, eh?

freitasm
08-12-2004, 04:53 AM
That's why I posted before to keep your software.
For me your warning came too late but other people reading this, it could be helpful.

Maybe I may suggest Geekzone edits its article to warn for the mixed results we are getting here?

Done. I've added a note about this last night.

Fuego
08-29-2004, 03:22 PM
My TDK USB adapter has a different Device PID than the two that are supported.

Mine is a USB\VID_04BF&PID_0309

The two that are supported are:
USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320

How many variations could they have made?

No idea, but I have the same PID as you (309) for my TDK USB BT dongle. I bought it fairly early, when it was first available in the UK.

Also have a Tosh internal adapter, which is also on the approved list, but XP/SP2 doesn't seem to want to detect this either. Probably another variation of a supported device that isn't.

For the TDK, I'm going to try and see if I can install the OEM drivers, but without the TDK/Widcomm stack. I have reasons for wanting to try the MS stack, even though the TDK/Widcomm stack has worked well.

Badandy
08-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Well, I installed SP2 and my bluetooth is not working. I already had it installed (the software, as mine is dell bluetooth built in) and I figured it would work if I didn't mess with it. Of course, when I turn on bluetooth it says it could not find a bluetooth device! As in the device that is built into my comp! I reallly need help

Thanks

Badandy
08-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Nevermind, I got it. Dell released an updated bluetooth driver and now it works fine. cool.

tccox
11-02-2004, 05:00 PM
OK this will get me to sync wirelessly but before , with the Ambicom software I could dial up and browse files . Will the SP2 drivers allow me access to those services also ?????