View Full Version : Bored...

felixdd
08-10-2004, 06:30 PM
I've been with Windows CE since 1998, starting out with a Philips Nino.

Thing is, back then things were exciting. I would spend hours browsing through available software, install cool things, and try out new proggies.

Now I have an Ipaq 2215. And I don't know if it's just my lifestyle becoming busier, or finally knowing what I need my Ipaq for, but I don't even update the programs on my Ipaq. I've been using the same programs for the better part of the year now; I've completely ignored software posts on PPCT, and the allure of trying to find a "cool thing" just isn't there anymore. I don't care to have Dos or Java on my PPC. Nor do I care to run something taht requires me to have Flash, or PocketC, or whatnot. There seems to be nothing new in the software department that tickles me at all. And the same with hardware -- I'm less excited than I know I would be a few years ago about the Asus A730, my next device. Maybe it's because I know exactly how my PDA should function and what role it plays in my life, so I experiment less? I don't know, but I'm bored with it all the same.

Anyone else feel this? Maybe I need a break and try out (for the first time) what the dark side has to offer. But knowing all that I know about how to use a PDA, that probably won't last me long either.

shah
08-10-2004, 06:38 PM
ditto.

got a 2210.. just lying there with cf and sd and GPS.. as well as other bits and bobs..

Got a 5550 wifi.. lying there...
Got a GP32 Hand held games console... lying there.. but cool
Got a RC plane.. flew once broken.. lying there
Got a lap top.. now have three in the house.. just lying there
Got a Armtop/ Tablet PC.. was lying there,... but someone took it ..
Got a XBOX... lying there
Got a RC petrol car used it last weekend

Heck i'm scred.. only 27.. Doc in the UK.. bored as well.....

Glad its not only me......!

0X

Jason Dunn
08-10-2004, 07:02 PM
IMO, devices like this should be enablers for the REST of your life, not a life unto themselves. ;-) Gadgets for the sake of gadgets alone is an empty existence...

felixdd
08-10-2004, 07:07 PM
IMO, devices like this should be enablers for the REST of your life, not a life unto themselves. ;-) Gadgets for the sake of gadgets alone is an empty existence...

True, but we're gadget freaks. And if our gadgets have become as captivating as a tea kettle, then where will we get our fixes?! 8O 8O

Got a GP32 Hand held games console... lying there.. but cool

That...looks...so...cool!

The Yaz
08-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Felixdd/Shah,

I think part of the problem is that making a PocketPC accomplish what you want is more important than accomplishing the task itself. The time and energy you expend researching programs or blogging for ideas is a hobby in and of itself.

You're simply at a point where the challenge is missing. You do your daily stuff and its routine. To snap out of it, try doing something new with your pda. There's plenty of projects people have listed on this site.

I know one of my IT friends is working with a PocketPC, Wifi card, and a Veo SD Camera. His goal is to run the combo as a handheld videophone for voip.

I know that my PocketPC satisfies my tech habit because I'm constantly using it over the course of a day. Between PIM functions, music listening during the AM commute, movie watching on the PM commute, and changing the movies/songs on a periodic basis, my pda keeps me busy.

Hope your mood changes for the better when the Asus a730 comes out (and we have to deal with the QVGA to VGA issues on old programs, what fun!).

Steve 8)

surur
08-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi Shah, nice to see another doc in UK.

I think 2 things may be happening. Either you or the platform is maturing. When either of one of you were young life was open, full of possibilities, and that made it exciting. Now you're both older, and lets face it, Win CE is not going to take over the world, and you're not either. One day you're going to get old, and you're greatest happiness will be to pass water when you want to.

As a great person once said.. Life's a b*tch, and then you die...

This is the time to take happiness in the achievements of your offspring (if you have any... and if not, whats keeping you!! You'll have much less money for toys then (at least for yourself :) ))

Surur

apanther28
08-10-2004, 08:02 PM
I was like that before I found the ability to put DVDs on my PPC. So that will hold my interest for a while, until football gets into full swing.

:mrgreen:

wing
08-10-2004, 08:04 PM
i've felt it...and i am a gadget snob...and wrist watch snob...

how to alleviate bouts of boredom with your toys?

well, i've never really gotten bored of my watches because people compliment me about them. So...

bring your PPC's out for people to see! I've had lunch dates where most of the date was me just showing people how to get more organized. It's fun to show off some of the basic things that we take for granted.

The ooh's and ahh's will make you happy!

felixdd
08-11-2004, 02:29 AM
I think part of the problem is that making a PocketPC accomplish what you want is more important than accomplishing the task itself. The time and energy you expend researching programs or blogging for ideas is a hobby in and of itself.

You're simply at a point where the challenge is missing. You do your daily stuff and its routine. To snap out of it, try doing something new with your pda. There's plenty of projects people have listed on this site.)

Yeah I think that's it. I already have a hoard of programs that, when I get a new machine, I just install. All my PPCs have the same arsenal of programs. I think I need a project....

Of course, I also wanted to try to run Windows 98 (through dosbox) on my HPC...but I don't have the resources right now.

In the meantime...I guess I'll continue doing what I'm doing with my PPC...cope with the boredom, and dream about the Asus..... 0X

Brad Adrian
08-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Sounds to me like a few of you need a fresh dose of "W?BIC!" I know that our Pocket PCs are supposed to be enablers and not the objective itself...

But...

But...

Sometimes all I can THINK about is what's coming next or what new software might have been launched during the past few hours or, or, or...

Geez, that sounds pathetic, doesn't it? Oh, well. I am what I am.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Sometimes all I can THINK about is what's coming next or what new software might have been launched during the past few hours or, or, or... Geez, that sounds pathetic, doesn't it? Oh, well. I am what I am.
You're not pathetic, except maybe to the non-geeks. All geeks need a new "toy" every so often to keep themselves sated. I'm almost at that stage right now...

--janak

Wiggster
08-11-2004, 02:52 AM
You're not pathetic, except maybe to the non-geeks. All geeks need a new "toy" every so often to keep themselves sated. I'm almost at that stage right now...

Yea, I'm starting to feel the same way, it's a bit of an overpowering urg--
http://www.wiggster.com/images/smiles/troll.gif ME WANT VGA PDA WITH INTEGRATED BT/WIFI

wing
08-13-2004, 12:43 AM
I know that most of us are "early adopters" of technology. we're first on bandwagons.

i experienced this with palmtop's like Portfolio & HP95LX...they STILL seem fun to me since I always had a _bit_ of a challenge making everything run properly, adapt to a mini DOS environment, etc...

but i always got excited when something DID run properly. it was a sense of accomplishment and a sense of solving something extraordinary.

today, we are at the point where the technology IS matching our imagination. it CAN do what we want it to do, with less effort, less battery power, and less hassle.
:D

(is this part of the reason why people love their Mac's so much? ponder...)
:?:

so the objective for tomorrow is to simply...
dream bigger!
:!:

maximus
08-13-2004, 02:09 AM
I know that most of us are "early adopters" of technology. we're first on bandwagons.

Well, under the FIFO rule, early adopters will be 'early bored' (gr?) :)