View Full Version : Belkin Bluetooth GPS Setup Issues / Similar to FORTUNA Clip-On??

zoomer777
08-10-2004, 05:48 AM
Well, I got my unit in the mail today from Belkin (got it for $140). I was pretty excited to say the least...but, to my dread, that excitement has quickly faded in frustration.

I am dealing with my "wiped clean" Ipaq 1945 here -hard reset before I did anything. The only software installed is the Belkin Navigation software (to main memory) and a selection of Maps were loaded to a 256 MB memory card, and fully charged units on both sides (receiver and 1945).

I have the Belkin receiver turned on, and followed the instructions provided with the unit (kind of pathetic instructions) to establish a connection with the 1945 (pairing, enter security key, go to the navigator software, check the right com port, etc). Every time I do this, I get my Ipaq to go to a screen which asks you to select the device, which I then tap on the "Belkin GPS" (which for some odd reason has question mark over the icon?), and then it goes back to the navigator software...I see the bluetooh light on the belkin unit blinking furiously away...wait a little bit...BAM, back to the "select device" screen. I have no idea what is going on here - it never connects. Can anyone who has succesfully worked with this Belkin unit (and have a 1945) tell me how they got it to work? Documentation is about as thin as you can get! I imagine it would be very similar to setting up the Fortuna Clip-On GPS Bluetooth unit!

In bluetooth manager, I was able to establish a good connection with the Belkin unit by creating a SPP Serial Port Slave connection by using the wizard "explore services offered by a device". It connects, I can see status, and the bluetooth LED on the Belkin unit appears to stay connected indefinitely. HOWEVER, when I go back in the navigator software and try to establish a connection, it disconnects the SPP connection and again asks me to select the device (which never seems to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Anyone?

PLEASE HELP!

zoomer777
08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
I am beginning to think my unit is broken...should it really be this hard? I know my PPC is not broken (I've it for some time now!)...maybe because it is a little older unit it doesn't have the latest Bluetooth drivers? Why is there the stupid little question mark over the ICON for the BelkinGPS???

prototype
08-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your frustration.

I also purchased the same unit from Buy.com and it works flawlessly.

I've hard reset my 4155 a few times over the last few weeks (recent ROM upgrades :roll: ) and had no trouble connecting back up with my device.

What you described is the exact way I connect with my Belkin. :?

First time pairing: Turn on Bluetooth, Bluetooth Manager, Tools, Paired Devices, Add, Browse icon, select Belkin when it is found, enter passkey.

Launch Belkin Navigation software ... select Belkin GPS (mine has a question mark by it also ... not sure why). Once in the NAV software tell it to auto detect the COM port for the GPS receiver and you should be all set.

Do you use other bluetooth devices with your 1945 without any hiccups??

-Drew

zoomer777
08-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the reply....it appears that it should be that easy, but it just doesn't seem to be working for me.

Does making a bluetooth connection require the unit to actually be locked on to satellites? And also, the middle LED on the belkin unit is always solid ORANGE...I have switched bettween XT and ST modes, and it still stays ORANGE. I thought ORANGE meant that it was in XT mode and acquiring? RED was supposed to be for ST mode and not locked on, and Green of course meant it had acquired maximum satellites or something? Does yours work this way?

I think my unit is broke as a joke! But that's just me....

-e

prototype
08-10-2004, 04:45 PM
No, I am able to establish a bluetooth lock before the unit has a satellite lock. The left most LED turns blue when established.

When the unit does not have a satellite lock the middle LED is RED (maybe orange). When it locks it turns green.

The right most LED is power. Green when it has a sufficient charge, goes to red when the battery gets low.

-Drew

ignar
08-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Does making a bluetooth connection require the unit to actually be locked on to satellites?
-e

No. You can still make a BT connection when GPS is not locked on. I have Fortuna ClipOn with the latest firmware and have no problem with 4150. Did you pair it with a right key? Make sure to turn on the BT on your ipaq before making connection. If you have a BT enabled laptop or desktop around, you might want to test with them.

zoomer777
08-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah....my bluetooth light will show activity, but only for a little bit - then it shuts off and my 1945 will go back to the "select device" screen. On the little SPP serial connection in Bluetooth Manager, I can create the connection, and it maintains indefinitely, but when you check the connection's status, you'll notice that no data is actually being sent or received (0 Bytes!)...I find that a little odd.

Oh yes, other BT things have worked with my 1945....I had it set up for Active Sync via BT with my desktop before...so I don't believe it's an issue with my 1945.

I did notice that my firmware is not the most current from HP (1.10), I wonder if that might be one of my problems? Other than that...I'm stuck...looks like a replacement unit may need to be sent.

zoomer777
08-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Does making a bluetooth connection require the unit to actually be locked on to satellites?
-e

No. You can still make a BT connection when GPS is not locked on. I have Fortuna ClipOn with the latest firmware and have no problem with 4150. Did you pair it with a right key? Make sure to turn on the BT on your ipaq before making connection. If you have a BT enabled laptop or desktop around, you might want to test with them.

BT is on before I make the connection! It just doesn't connect at all.

I have also tried this with my desktop, and it didn't appear to connect either, but I did not exhaustively try that (just followed the instructions provided with the Belkin to set it up on a laptop/desktop). I paired the device with computer and PocketPC using the default key "0000" and it told me the pairing was always sucessful.

It's gotta be broken! That's frustrating...

zoomer777
08-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Ignar,

Do you have the Belkin unit? Ipaq 1945? If so, was your connection easy to establish?

-Eric

ignar
08-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Ignar,

Do you have the Belkin unit? Ipaq 1945? If so, was your connection easy to establish?

-Eric

I have a Fortuna Clipon which looks like the same model as Belkin. I'm using it with iPaq 4150 as well as my Panasonic laptop. Making connection is generally easy. They usually connect in 3 to 4 seconds.

zoomer777
08-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Well...just called Belkin Tech Support....of course he didn't do much except tell me to do what I have already done. Anyways, I have a replacement unit on the way. I sure hope that mine is just simply a case of a faulty unit! I don't want to go through some software configuation/bluetooth nightmare...I have been there enough...

zoomer777
09-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Just to offer some resolution on this topic. I got a replacement unit from Belkin the other day....and well, this unit works flawlessly! SOOOO...this verifies the first unit I had was FAULTY....

And now....BIG PROPS to belkin...this unit performs well, and the software is great, even if one step behind the most current version!

If you can take advantage of this deal, DO SO...you will be happy with this unit from Belkin!

-Eric