View Full Version : Streaming Media

Gilmoro
08-10-2004, 04:00 AM
I have what would seem like a simple question:

I would like to know a program/(s) that will allow me to stream music and/or video from my server at home. I would like to go with free products first, but I definitely want a program that does what I need and I want it to do it well.

Thanks for any info any of you can give me.

Sven Johannsen
08-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Windows Media Encoder
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
or earlier versions. Meets your free requirement.

Folks will suggest just opening the files off the network, but that is not streaming. For streaming you need a streaming server, as above.

Gilmoro
08-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Ah, yes. This product comes in Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition - which I am currently running. So a proper playlist will stream to the handheld without a third party client/player other than the default windows media player?

Thanks again.

Gilmoro
08-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Okay, I have the Windows Media Streaming Server set up, but when I open the announcement file (.asx) the pocket pc version of windows media player says it can't open the file. It works perfectly on the desktop version.

Any ideas?

Does the media file have to be of a certain inferior bit rate? I need help. Thanks.

Gilmoro
08-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Stupid Windows Media.

I can't get it to work on my pc now.

I want to be able to STREAM movies and/or music on-demand. Is there a way to use regular mp3 and divx files in such a way? The problem with Windows Media server, is I have to convert everything to windows media format and even after I do all of this. The server is extremely picky and refuses to work with more than one file, go figure. I have wasted too much time on it.

Anyone else have some ideas on how to do this? Thanks.

ST8
08-24-2004, 12:29 PM
For audio you can use shoutcast: www.shoutcast.com

Its a simple winamp plugin, then tune in on your ppc with something like gsplayer/pocketmvp

Gilmoro
08-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand Shoutcast does not allow you to do on-demand streams. It is more like a radio station. I want to be able to pick the songs off of a playlist remotely.

ST8
08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
well if you use something like www.browseamp.com then u can enqueue stuff in winamp remotly and listen to it over the shoutcast stream :]