View Full Version : Syncing w/2 Exchange Servers

Gilmoro
08-10-2004, 03:51 AM
I have a business exchange server and a family exchange server. I keep most of my info at home and sync with the server there; however, I really need to get task and calendar lists from the exchange server at work.

Has anyone done something similar? How did you do it? I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 03:52 AM
Two Exchange servers!? Oh my. 8O

As long as you keep the information separate, you should have no problems with two AS partnerships. E.g., contacts and notes from home, calendar and tasks from work. Mixing, in my best guess, will be problematic unless you want all records from both. The Pocket PC does not have any easy way to segregate multiple sets of Pocket Outlook information. :(

--janak

Gilmoro
08-10-2004, 03:56 AM
So, I guess what you are telling me implies the necessity of two sync cradles and I have to physically be at work.

I don't like this option too much. I actually would prefer a little cross-talk between exchange servers. I have always wanted to have everything sync up. I bet that if everything synced with the PPC then they would all get the same info.

I really would like to sync remotely with the server at work. I am rarely in the office. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 04:12 AM
So, I guess what you are telling me implies the necessity of two sync cradles and I have to physically be at work.
Hang on... we're discussing several different things here.

In terms of information, if you want both completely synced to each other, that's less of a problem. You can use the cradle => ActiveSync => Outlook => Exchange route at home, and Server ActiveSync => Internet => Exchange route for work.

The problem is that Server Activesync doesn't support Notes or Tasks. :( As of this moment, I know no solution to fixing that other than to use a different remote sync program. There are solutions on the market like IntelliSync (www.intellisync.om) that may offer such an option, and you might want to check that out.

--janak

Gilmoro
08-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Well, this doesn't seem like it would be too much of a problem as I only use the Calendar and email functionality of my work exchange environment. I use tasks too but I can just keep up with them on the PPC and they can all sync to home.

So, to do this, will I need to VPN in to work? They don't allow anyone but Admins to VPN (which is gay, don't get me started).

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 03:36 PM
So, to do this, will I need to VPN in to work? They don't allow anyone but Admins to VPN (which is gay, don't get me started).
Good question. It depends on what facilities they provide. There's a Server Activesync product Microsoft provides that works over HTTPS, but it needs Exchange 2000 + Mobile Information Server or Exchange 2003, and it has to be turned on. If that's not an option, there may be some client-side sync tools you can leave running at your work's computer. I don't know which ones off the top of my head, though; you'll have to Google around a bit to see what options there are. :|

--janak

Gilmoro
08-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Let's move the focus of this question in another direction...

First, Assume I can sync with both servers from either location. I have to change all the connection information in activesync every time I want to sync to a different server. That's pretty dumb.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to streamline the process a little more?

Thanks.