View Full Version : HP 4700 and WM2005????

carrigaline
08-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Hi all,

Time for some pure speculation.........

I was wondering why the 4700 has 128 mb of ROM. I wanted to think beyond the normal file store etc reasons....

It stands to reason that HP would discuss the prospective hardware requirements of WM2005 with Microsoft......is it possible that the ROM required for WM2005 will be something way higher than WM2003 and WM2003SE?

If yes...then it would have interesting implications for the future of current devices (new range and "older") and could be another reason why HP chose not to go for upgrades to WM2003SE....i.e. a waste of time and money etc given what's around the corner......

I know that MS have said that WM2005 will have it's own version of DirectX 9 with a range of other extras re multimedia experience........would that require lots more ROM space?

It would be great if the more technically aware than I am could jump in!

iPAQ_ace
08-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Hi all,

Time for some pure speculation.........

I was wondering why the 4700 has 128 mb of ROM. I wanted to think beyond the normal file store etc reasons....

It stands to reason that HP would discuss the prospective hardware requirements of WM2005 with Microsoft......is it possible that the ROM required for WM2005 will be something way higher than WM2003 and WM2003SE?

If yes...then it would have interesting implications for the future of current devices (new range and "older") and could be another reason why HP chose not to go for upgrades to WM2003SE....i.e. a waste of time and money etc given what's around the corner......

I know that MS have said that WM2005 will have it's own version of DirectX 9 with a range of other extras re multimedia experience........would that require lots more ROM space?

It would be great if the more technically aware than I am could jump in!

I've heard some well placed folks chatting that WM2005 will require 48MB of ROM so anything below will not be upgreadable.

Its anyone's guess whether or not HP will offer an upgrade to WM2005 which from what I understand I based on the core of Windows CE 5.0 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/getstart/compare/wincefea/default.aspx).

delfuhd
08-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Of course though WM2005 may supposedly require 48 MB of ROM to hold it, 128 will clearly not be enough according to HP's current standards of ROM sizes and OS sizes... :roll:

but who knows. hopefully all will go as we, the consumers, want it to go.

Kowalski
08-10-2004, 09:59 AM
too early to talk about the new OS, as we all know windows mobile will be based on windowsce 5. engineers are working on windows ce, and after that they will addapt the new OS to PPCs.
who nows what its like to be, maybe new OS will require a new hardware that no of the devices on the market doesnt have today

darrylb
08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
I've seen Magneto running on less RAM than whats been speculated here... in fact it could fit on a 3630....at least at the early Beta stage that I saw it at in July...