View Full Version : Where to buy asus 730 in usa?

starstreak
08-09-2004, 07:50 AM
When it comes out, where can I buy asus 730 pda?

Duncan
08-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Look - it isn't as if we don't like to be helpful in thise forums, but for goodness sake - five seconds spent perusing the names of the top few threads in this section of the forum would a) have answered your question and b) have saved you the trouble of posting a needless thread.

Put the effort in - go and look.

(Maybe I'm just being irritable - but it seems to me that there are a ridiculous number of threads appearing currently asking questions or posting information that the tiniest search effort would make redundant. :roll: )

starstreak
08-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Look- in the time it took you to post that, you didn't even answer the question. On a forum, if you want to be like that, at least:
1) Rant, then answer the question and pray I dont do it again and others see your post.
2) Rant, then post how to do the search and let me go look for it.

And I did the most common search words for my topic: asus, buy, and usa. I didn't see it. Maybe I used the search wrong.

Oh maybe I needed to be more clear. I mean besides that one place that has the 730 bt but no wifi. I meant if someone knew if circuit city or the likes might have it. And I live in Hawaii. I don't have all the super stores here but I will be going to the mainland in about a month.

Oreocat
08-09-2004, 10:26 AM
From what I understand, it will only be sold online, and the only company that I know of that will be selling it for certain (they're already taking pre-orders!) is Proportable.com :)

You might check out PocketMatrix.com, they're a pocket pc site that's pretty heavy on the Asus users, so they might have more information, but I don't know for sure since I haven't visited it in a while.

starstreak
08-09-2004, 10:28 AM
There. Thank you. That's a start.

Oreocat
08-09-2004, 10:40 AM
You're welcome :)

After reading your edit, I checked out PocketMatrix, and under the review of the 730, Justin from Proportable mentions setting up pre-orders on the wifi 730 in a couple of weeks, right now he's only got the bt 730. Here's the link if you want to check out the review and comments :)

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17647&sid=3b37f7ee4a5ada045bea7b0f1655b355

Duncan
08-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Look- in the time it took you to post that, you didn't even answer the question. On a forum, if you want to be like that, at least:
1) Rant, then answer the question and pray I dont do it again and others see your post.

And I did the most common search words for my topic: asus, buy, and usa. I didn't see it. Maybe I used the search wrong.

I did answer your question - I pointed out that the answer is staring you in the face in the list of threads in this section of the forum. Was that asking too much effort? Should I have gone to the thread for you, cut and pasted the info and the link for you?

Fifth thread in this section of the forum (would have been fourth post before you started this unnecessary thread). Clearly gives you the answer to your question (there is even a hyperlink). This is not about searching for answers hidden in the depths of the site's database... this is about following a simple and widley recognised principle of forum use that way too many people are currently ignoring - 'look before you post'.

Otherwise we all have to scroll down further and further to find the interesting/useful threads which are pushed down by the threads that ask redundant or repetitive questions.

Don't get your heckles up because someone has the audacity to pull you up for not putting in the merest bit of effort. After all - in the time it took you to post your response to me you could have looked and found the answer where I told you it was...! :roll:

starstreak
08-09-2004, 11:10 AM
That, wasn't answering the question. As a matter of fact, and its probably my fault for not being clear in the first message, but I did see that post. And from your quote, I see you didn't read that part of my message to your response as you ignored it here and pointed out what I alredy said I knew. (sorry thats a run on sentence)
So yes, I DO want you to point out the post. As you can tell from what I written, I did do a search. And I didn't find an answer that I was looking for.
If you posted, even a wisecrack response that it was told 4 post below mine, then at least I could've just corrected myself by stating that I knew that and wanted to know more places, we wouldn't be waisting board space.

I did answer your question - I pointed out that the answer is staring you in the face in the list of threads in this section of the forum. Was that asking too much effort? Should I have gone to the thread for you, cut and pasted the info and the link for you?

Fifth thread in this section of the forum (would have been fourth post before you started this unnecessary thread). Clearly gives you the answer to your question (there is even a hyperlink). This is not about searching for answers hidden in the depths of the site's database... this is about following a simple and widley recognised principle of forum use that way too many people are currently ignoring - 'look before you post'.

Otherwise we all have to scroll down further and further to find the interesting/useful threads which are pushed down by the threads that ask redundant or repetitive questions.

Don't get your heckles up because someone has the audacity to pull you up for not putting in the merest bit of effort. After all - in the time it took you to post your response to me you could have looked and found the answer where I told you it was...! :roll:

Steven Cedrone
08-09-2004, 01:31 PM
O.K. folks, let's drop this arguement! (or take it offline)

Steve

NewYork Boy
08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
I love Asus products, at least their motherboards, graphics cards, and CD-ROMs. I also thought that the A730 was the pocket pc I would buy … until I started reading specs and mini-reviews. I realized I had three choices: Asus A730, HP hx4700, and Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720. The more I read, the more convinced I was that the Loox 720 is the best choice. I’m still reading, trying to find out as much as I can before I bite the bullet, but the Loox looks great. Whatever you decide, good luck. :)

Wiggster
08-09-2004, 04:13 PM
I love Asus products, at least their motherboards, graphics cards, and CD-ROMs. I also thought that the A730 was the pocket pc I would buy … until I started reading specs and mini-reviews. I realized I had three choices: Asus A730, HP hx4700, and Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720. The more I read, the more convinced I was that the Loox 720 is the best choice. I’m still reading, trying to find out as much as I can before I bite the bullet, but the Loox looks great. Whatever you decide, good luck. :)

Same here. I'm thinking the Asus might be my next PDA... my first Windows Mobile device not from HP. It's hard to convince myself to do that, but it just looks so good. I'll wait 'til it's out and ask people what they think, I guess 8)

Kati Compton
08-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Same here. I'm thinking the Asus might be my next PDA... my first Windows Mobile device not from HP. It's hard to convince myself to do that, but it just looks so good. I'll wait 'til it's out and ask people what they think, I guess 8)
Yeah - if the Asus had a 4" screen and a bigger battery, I'd be getting out my wallet now to try to buy it. ;)

I may see what the Tosh 830 looks like first, though. But currently, the Asus is the leader for me. If it turns out that the screen on the Loox is 3.649" and the screen on the Asus is 3.651", I'd probably make the Loox my front-runner.

starstreak
08-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Why the Loox720? It "seems" the same thing as the asus? Or am I missing something? Also, isn't that another device that's hard to get here in the usa?

Wiggster
08-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Also, isn't that another device that's hard to get here in the usa?

We'll find out when it's released :wink:

Ripper014
08-14-2004, 07:01 PM
For those interested...

http://www.proportable.com/a730preorder.html

nosmohtac
08-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Why the Loox720? It "seems" the same thing as the asus? Or am I missing something? Also, isn't that another device that's hard to get here in the usa?
I think the asus (at least for now)is only available in either BT or WiFi versions. I may be off on this, but the main reason I would go for the loox over the asus is; The loox has Both BT and WiFi, and CIR. It is lacking software to support the CIR, but there are several options out there to support it on PPC.

entropy1980
08-15-2004, 01:10 AM
I think the asus (at least for now)is only available in either BT or WiFi versions. I may be off on this, but the main reason I would go for the loox over the asus is; The loox has Both BT and WiFi, and CIR. It is lacking software to support the CIR, but there are several options out there to support it on PPC.Incorrect. The WiFi model has both bluetooth and WiFi.

08-18-2004, 12:51 AM

dude, stop being a dick! not everybody has ESP! his question was reasonable. I hate it when people jump down your ass, because you ask a simple question. HELLO!!!! that's what these groups are for. not for your personal attitude.

Jeff Rutledge
08-18-2004, 01:45 AM
slyder,

The other posters in this thread have let this drop. I would suggest that you do the same.

Hx4700
08-18-2004, 03:57 AM
I guess from my Avatar you see I'm a little bias.
I think the Hx4700/5 has all the things sited by different posts as missing in the others - 4-inch screen, both BT and WiFI, both CF and SD, large battery. Everything but cir.
As to the camera - it seems split pretty even on the do's and don'ts. I'm a don't. I have a CF camera with a flash (I don't believe any of the new ppc's have flash camera). The camera has to add to the retail price, or in at the expense of something else out. I just don't need it.
And then there's the touchpad - I think that the most attractive feature. Big Wow factor. Nothing else has it! And I think with the two modes it will do both games and documents well.
The biggest problem with my Hx4705 is that it's not here yet :mecry:
Ron....

Wiggster
08-18-2004, 04:00 AM
And I think with the two modes it will do games and documents well.

I'm not so sure yet. I HOPE that you can just push on the touchpad like you could the d-pad. I'll try it out ASAP, hopefully CompUSA will get it early (the guy there said maybe the 22nd-- this month!) and I can bust out some Hyperspace Delivery Boy and MorphGear and Quake.

If anyone beats me ot the punch of testing with games, we demand reviews!

Hx4700
08-18-2004, 04:07 AM
From what I have read, in one mode the 'bumps' act just like the d-pad. In the other mode it acts like a mouse. You use the screen/stylus for more precise pixel work and the touchpad for movement. And no more finger smuges on the screen :wink:
Ron...

entropy1980
08-18-2004, 04:31 AM
(I don't believe any of the new ppc's have flash camera).
Both the MPx and A730 have a flash.

Hx4700
08-18-2004, 04:44 AM
Entro-
The mpx isn't of interest as I want a separate ppc and phone. The flash on the a730 is a plus.
Thanks... Ron...

kaitanium
08-23-2004, 07:53 PM
im pretty sure that the flash on the a730 wont do much. its going to be the LED flashes found on phones. those lights dont even "flash" they just light up the area for a couple of seconds and arent effective at all for even 3 ft away (my friend has a cameraphone with that type of flash). someone correct me if im wrong

i dont know if this has been asked before but the preorder price on proportable.com for the bt and wifi model is $600. is this the msrp? or are they jacking price up hoping to make a couple of extra bucks off of eager people like me? should i preorder? i was about to go for the loox720 but its not going to be released here and the hp doesnt have as much features as the a730 and looks ugly. arg...should i preorder???

one more thing. is Consumer IR avaliable on the a730? im getting conflicting info

veroi
08-31-2004, 03:06 AM
For those living in the area of San Jose CA, ASUS has a kiosk on the 1st floor of the Valley Fair mall, right in front of a Cold Stone Ice Cream shop. The kiosk had the latest ASUS laptops but also the WiFi-Bluetooth PDA, I ask they guys attending and stated that this was not a permanent stand but would be there for the next week and you could purchase the PDA from them.

Lukas44
09-07-2004, 02:36 AM
I see a nightmare for the HP's touch screen. Sorry but that thing looks ugly,and an unavoidable aspect of aPDA is the looks .... Asus is the sexyist PDA I have ever seen, possible exception is the Dell Axim X50...
But as for total package the loox seems to have it all.

clanggedin
09-08-2004, 04:44 PM
You can buy both versions of the A730 at mobileplanet.com. They have them ready to ship.

Ripper014
09-08-2004, 04:52 PM
You can buy both versions of the A730 at mobileplanet.com. They have them ready to ship.

I could not find it... do you have a link...?

tadams
09-27-2004, 03:55 PM

I could not find it... do you have a link...?

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2621&pf%5Fid=MP940544&listing=1

rainforest
10-22-2004, 01:15 AM
well, you can find it from this link:

http://www.centralcomputer.com/itemdetail.asp?item=NOTASUA7301R

and if you are in SFO area, they have three stores around.

riuster
01-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Asus 730W, a great PDA, nice functions and the works! But all goods things have a bad side, the bad side is Poor Customer Service for USA customers.

I emailed Asus [email protected], [email protected], tds..the other tech email, and so far its been 2 days..and no response. I called them, a 10 minute wait then I get transferred to an answering machine with a sleepy voice on the other end.

Reviews after Reviews on long turnaround times, long waits, no quick RMAs, WTF is this ..its good when it works...but when it fails...you are out 600 bucks.

This is the reason why I CANT buy the Asus 730W, great PDA, but no service to back it up...its like buying a car with no after service...OH MAN!

Loox and Toshiba also do not have domestic USA customer service....

mattp
01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I also called Asus when I cracked the screen on my A716. Apparently, the call should be made during their normal working hours. I had a similar 10 minute wait. I talked to two different reps and they were very helpful and walked through the RMA process. I mailed my 716 to their service center in the U.S. and received my repaired 716 back about four or five days earlier than they said I would receive it (dont' remember how long, but they only had it a day or two).

I'm surprised that Dell and HP don't also have at least a 10 minute wait for customer service.

While you might have "heard" bad things about Asus and might have a further problem following simple instructions, I believe it is quite ignorant to say that someone will be "out" $600 by purchasing one. Also, I don't know anything about Loox and Toshiba customer service, but Asus DOES have U.S. service. Don't post inaccurate info.