View Full Version : "View posts since last visit" not working?

timcolling
08-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi -

I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question: When I am logged in and click on the "View posts since last visit" link on the front Forums page, I always get a response back saying that there are no new mesages, even when that is not the case.

Can anyone tell me whether I or the computer are doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Tim

mrkablooey
08-08-2004, 11:16 PM
I just used it, and it worked. Did you just fire up the browser and click it or had the browser been open for a while?

ignar
08-09-2004, 01:35 AM
PHPBB is very sensitive in terms of determining "newness" of posts. As soon as you visit the forum, your last visited time is reset and all the posts made since your last visit are not considered as new any more. To avoid the issue, make sure you visit the main site and click on the "new posts" link. Don't click on the link shown in the email notfication message or in the main site. Yeah, it's annoying and have been discussed before, but fix doesn't seem to be easy.

Janak Parekh
08-09-2004, 03:19 AM
PHPBB is very sensitive in terms of determining "newness" of posts. As soon as you visit the forum, your last visited time is reset and all the posts made since your last visit are not considered as new any more. To avoid the issue, make sure you visit the main site and click on the "new posts" link. Don't click on the link shown in the email notfication message or in the main site. Yeah, it's annoying and have been discussed before, but fix doesn't seem to be easy.
Well, the "fix" is a forum upgrade. We're weighing that as a possibility. Stay tuned. ;)

--janak

buzzard
08-09-2004, 05:51 PM
I certainly hope that if a forum upgrade is the problem, that it gets upgraded. I have been reading posts on other websites that have referenced a post on this website. As soon as I click on that reference link, I lose the "view new posts" when I visit PPCT later.

baker
08-09-2004, 06:18 PM
I certainly hope that if a forum upgrade is the problem, that it gets upgraded. I have been reading posts on other websites that have referenced a post on this website. As soon as I click on that reference link, I lose the "view new posts" when I visit PPCT later.

Same thing happens to me and also when I click on an email link I received from subscribed threads.

Kati Compton
08-09-2004, 07:27 PM

Same thing happens to me and also when I click on an email link I received from subscribed threads.
Yep. Trust me, no one is more upset about this than the moderators. When someone sends us a link to a questionable post, and we click it before making sure we have a PPCT window open with us logged in... It toasts the new posts count, and we might lose our place when moderating. :(

karen
08-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Pulleze let us search by all posts since X date. Then even logging out and back in would let us resume reading new messages.

Should be an easy database query....

Karen

Theo
08-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Pulleze let us search by all posts since X date. Then even logging out and back in would let us resume reading new messages.

Should be an easy database query....

Karen

It is and you can already... sorta...

Search
Search for Author - put "*" without the "'s
Search previous XX days - select XX
Hit search button.

Ta da :D

Kati Compton
08-09-2004, 11:44 PM
It is and you can already... sorta...

Search
Search for Author - put "*" without the "'s
Search previous XX days - select XX
Hit search button.

Yep - that's what we mods do.

mrkablooey
08-10-2004, 12:11 AM
NOW it chooses to not work out. :wink: but I used the * wildcard that was suggested. :)

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 03:42 AM
I certainly hope that if a forum upgrade is the problem, that it gets upgraded.
Yeah -- while Theo's suggestion is good, we've bumped up against various phpBB limits, and it looks like 2.2 is still years away as far as I can tell. Anyway, it's still on the drawing board, nothing is confirmed, but believe me, both the mods and the editors feel your frustration. We surf the site too. :D

--janak

buzzard
09-26-2006, 07:45 PM
I certainly hope that if a forum upgrade is the problem, that it gets upgraded.
Yeah -- while Theo's suggestion is good, we've bumped up against various phpBB limits, and it looks like 2.2 is still years away as far as I can tell. Anyway, it's still on the drawing board, nothing is confirmed, but believe me, both the mods and the editors feel your frustration. We surf the site too. :D

--janak

An oldie but a goodie....are we any closer to a "fixed" website than we were two years ago ?

Darius Wey
09-27-2006, 03:44 AM
An oldie but a goodie....are we any closer to a "fixed" website than we were two years ago ?

Definitely. Check out these two threads:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50813

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50815

Bottom line, we're preparing to migrate to a new CMS, which should eradicate the annoying phpBB bugs we've grown to love/hate. Zune Thoughts (www.zunethoughts.com) is currently using a pre-alpha version of the CMS. It's a little clunky at the moment, but we're getting there.