View Full Version : FCC approved: NM8Roadster on 8/07/2004

jaydoc05
08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
I know I cried wolf last week and really found a Toshiba,

but with better sources and more knowledge about who makes what,

I am very certain I have found the FCC approval for the IPAQ HX4700:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas. Search for NM8Roadster on the generic search of the lower left part of screen.

as we wait for documents to get attached, we will know for certain. But Duncan has documents that mention a codename for the HX4700 was Roadster.

For you those who do not believe check out this link from Duncan:

Check out the heading on the brochure here on the Bluetooth site
http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=1888

Now I believe Ecost will have it 8-18-94. Also, CDW says 8-13-04. HP website says 8-26-04. I believed no one as long as we did not have FCC approval; however, we do now.

It is comming, hold on

piggity
08-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Jaydoc05,

Good work! I agree this is definitly it.

mistame
08-08-2004, 09:36 PM
looks like it's almost definately it. the frequency range it lists is that of a device with bluetooth and if you click on"view form" and scroll down a bit to item 10 it says:
"Description of Product as it is Marketed:
(NOTE: This text will appear below the equipment class on the grant):
Packet PC With 802.11b WLAN and Bluetooth"

i'm sure they mean pOcket pc as i have never heard of a packet pc. :D

paris
08-08-2004, 10:31 PM
lol check this document

http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Products/DownloadExecute.cfm?ApplFileName=Roadster_catelogue_Application_note.pdf&ProductID=1888

its says that its the smallest dual slot pocket pc from hp, however this might be a left over from an h2210 document since it says that the device has rubber sides for better a grip, i dont think the hx4700 does. Also down at the end says included in the box is a 2200 :) lol
however the dimensions seem to be correct thought the weight is from the 2210 and not the hx4700 since it weights 40 more than the 2210.

jaydoc05
08-12-2004, 03:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NM8Roadster now has documents attached. However, the documents attached are asking for confidentiality until Sept 20. I hope that does not mean it won't be released until then.

You can tell that it is in fact the HX4700 by comparing the only availabe FCC photo with the CNET.COM photo of the back of the unit.

I hope there are no more delays[/img]

paris
08-12-2004, 04:11 AM
nah, prolly they just made sure that the documents are kept away from the public until the deivce is around and healthy

seaflipper
08-12-2004, 07:09 AM
nah, prolly they just made sure that the documents are kept away from the public until the deivce is around and healthy

It is rather strange though. The h6315 docs were all up in early June. Who knows why the hx47xx docs are requested confidential until September. Perhaps they have more than one model coming out that we don't know about yet?

I don't think the hx3400/3700 series has been FCC approved yet either. Clearly the Roadster is the hx47xx as compared to the back on the CNET pictures...but why all the secrecy?

Who knows, maybe the project manager at HP is just a stickler for the confidentiality...

seaflipper
08-12-2004, 07:38 AM
Also, don't forget that as reported here on PP thoughts, HPs top PDA guy just went over to Dell. Perhaps that has more to do with the confidentiality than anything? If it's in the public domain, than this HP guy can tell Dell all about it. If it's confidential, than his NDA means he probably can't tell Dell about it. Certainly HP had wind this guy was leaving and the hx47xx is their flagship this year, perhaps they are just trying to keep the details under wraps for as long as possilbe, knowing that eventually Dell will find out all the inside stuff?

whydidnt
08-12-2004, 07:03 PM
I doubt it has much to do with the Dell defection. More likely, they want to keep it secret until the device is actually available to keep from cannibalizing existing sales.

Many publicly traded companies, such as HP, aslso interpret laws regarding pre-announcement of their products very strictly. The SEC prohibits these companies from discussing a lot of "plans" and "products" to prevent companies from announcing products that are never actually real, thereby bumping stock on speculation, instead of fact.

seaflipper
08-12-2004, 07:28 PM
I doubt it has much to do with the Dell defection. More likely, they want to keep it secret until the device is actually available to keep from cannibalizing existing sales.

Many publicly traded companies, such as HP, aslso interpret laws regarding pre-announcement of their products very strictly. The SEC prohibits these companies from discussing a lot of "plans" and "products" to prevent companies from announcing products that are never actually real, thereby bumping stock on speculation, instead of fact.

But it's curious that the h6315 fcc docs are all up, almost 3 months before it comes out. Why wouldn't they keep that confidential as well? I wonder if mobile phones have different levels of confidentiality that can be asked for from the FCC because they use regulated & licensed frequencies?

whydidnt
08-12-2004, 07:36 PM
But it's curious that the h6315 fcc docs are all up, almost 3 months before it comes out. Why wouldn't they keep that confidential as well? I wonder if mobile phones have different levels of confidentiality that can be asked for from the FCC because they use regulated & licensed frequencies?

I'm just speculating here, but the 6315 doesn't really replace any existing product in HP's line. The HX4700 replaces the 55XX series. Perhaps it's more about not wanting to cannabilize existing sales.

In any event, it's a farce, since HP already announced the product, and several sites have already reviewed and posted about it. Why the secrecy? My guess is that whoever is making current decisions at HP was dropped on his/her head a couple too many times as a child and now feels a great power rush from screwing with us PDA fanatics! :mrgreen:

seaflipper
08-12-2004, 09:01 PM

I'm just speculating here, but the 6315 doesn't really replace any existing product in HP's line. The HX4700 replaces the 55XX series. Perhaps it's more about not wanting to cannabilize existing sales.

In any event, it's a farce, since HP already announced the product, and several sites have already reviewed and posted about it. Why the secrecy? My guess is that whoever is making current decisions at HP was dropped on his/her head a couple too many times as a child and now feels a great power rush from screwing with us PDA fanatics! :mrgreen:

Ok, now there is an answer I can live with!!! Just think of the power that person has...