View Full Version : Handango Enhance Their Site, Again

Jonathon Watkins
08-08-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.handango.com' target='_blank'>http://www.handango.com</a><br /><br /></div>Janak posted a picture of the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=271798">new Handango site 'look'</a> a few days ago. Well, now Handango has now just announced a new upgraded version of Handango AMPP, their mobile software delivery platform, just in time for its 5th anniversary. If you go to the <a href="www.handango.com">Handango</a> website you will notice the following new features for mobile downloads:<br /> <br /><li> Handset detection: For customers browsing on the phone, their handset is automatically detected. Then, using advanced handset matching and filtering technology, only content relevant for that handset is displayed. Customers browsing online can select their phone or handheld by manufacturer and model by device image. <br /><li> Personal home deck: On the customer's home page or home deck, only content that is optimized for that particular handset is displayed.<br /><li> Enhanced search: This new, improved search tool employs advanced algorithms to improve accuracy of results and offer alternative spellings. <br /><li> New member account: Using the new member account, customers can securely conduct micro-payments more easily, as well as access rewards for purchasing, recover lost downloads and more. <br /><li> More featured downloads: The new discovery engine delivers more recommended content and featured titles for customers to choose. <br />As an additional bonus, extra payment methods, including of Switch, Solo and Carte Bleu debit cards in the United Kingdom and France, have also been added to Handango. You lucky, lucky people. Don't say that Handango aren’t being good to you! :wink:

Duncan
08-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Just once I find myself regretting a US company taking notice of the UK. Nice in principle but having to pay VAT is a real pain...! :(

davenicholls
08-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Just once I find myself regretting a US company taking notice of the UK. Nice in principle but having to pay VAT is a real pain...! :(

I agree. That's why I like the PPCT subscriber discount, 15% comes off, then they add the 17.5% VAT and it's pretty much back where it started.

Dave

Duncan
08-08-2004, 07:07 PM
I'd completely forgotten about that...! :(

scargill
08-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Is it just me, or can't you still pay in $$'s and get away with not paying VAT on the items?

Duncan
08-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Is it just me, or can't you still pay in $$'s and get away with not paying VAT on the items?

No - when I signed up to Handango - a long while back - I filled in my location (as did many) in all innocence. The currency is irrelevant - they know where I live...! 8O - so VAT gets charged...

SHC
08-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Its a nice looking site but it wont let me download previously purchased programmes! Anyone else had this problem? I have e-mailed them, waiting for a reply.

Take1
08-08-2004, 08:57 PM
It's there, you just have to look harder to find the listing. It's acutally better as all the programs are listed in a more condensed format.

dlangton
08-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Its a nice looking site but it wont let me download previously purchased programmes! Anyone else had this problem? I have e-mailed them, waiting for a reply.

The only problem I've had is when I need to reenter my credit card info. They have a script on the page which results in an error in Internet Explorer.

Jereboam
08-08-2004, 09:34 PM

Yes, have also emailed them...even after entering my card number (which I have done many times before to get a new version) the problem is that the "Submit" button does nothing. Methinks a little scripting issue also.

Just once I find myself regretting a US company taking notice of the UK. Nice in principle but having to pay VAT is a real pain...!

Ah I enjoy having moved to Switzerland more and more every day...not a member of the EU! And long may it stay that way...now my PPCT discount is actually a discount.

J'bm

DavidHorn
08-08-2004, 09:35 PM
I wonder what actually happens to that 17.5% that Handango charge? Does it really go into the coffers of the British Treasury, or does it just, err, "rest" in their bank account?

Jereboam
08-08-2004, 09:47 PM
An excellent question. But I think these things are reasonably easy for the VAT man to track...I would imagine that they do actually honestly charge the VAT.

J'bm

buzzard
08-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I agree....same problem. I've saved the Handango download page on my PC for just about everything program I've purchased there. Worked great, if I wanted to reload a file for some reason I just opened my folder on the PC, opened the program page and hit download. Now all of them just hang and do nothing.

Jonathon Watkins
08-08-2004, 10:09 PM
I wonder what actually happens to that 17.5% that Handango charge? Does it really go into the coffers of the British Treasury, or does it just, err, "rest" in their bank account?

I'm sure they that the money will grace the coffers of the Treasury. The VAT inspectors have some serious powers and are not to be trifled with.

Pros and cons eh Duncan. To be honest I had forgotten about the subscriber discount as well. Time to see what else I can get for being a PPCT subscriber. :mrgreen:

The PocketTV Team
08-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Also Handango forgets to list many devices.

I already found that the following Pocket PC's are missing from their list:

Toshiba e800 series
Yakumo Omikron (Pocket PC Phone Edition)
Yakumo PDA delta 300 GPS
NEC / Packardbell Pocketgear 2060 and 2030 (US, they are called NEC 300e and NEC 200e)
HP iPAQ rx3115 Mobile Media Companion (announced, released soon)
HP iPAQ rx3415 Mobile Media Companion (announced, released soon)
HP iPAQ rx3715 Mobile Media Companion (announced, released soon)
Acer n30

paris
08-09-2004, 12:58 AM

No - when I signed up to Handango - a long while back - I filled in my location (as did many) in all innocence. The currency is irrelevant - they know where I live...! 8O - so VAT gets charged...

hehe, just sign up again and use a more convinient location :)

I have a similar problem with audible since a few books are restricles to the US. When i want to buy one of these books i just change my location to a US one and i can get it :) hehe.

Jereboam
08-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Of course that only works if Handango does not crosscheck your billing address when they charge your card, as for example Apple's US stores and ITMS do.

J'bm

iant54
08-09-2004, 09:50 AM
How does one get to pay by Debit Card (e.g. Switch)? I can only find the normal credit card choices.

Jereboam
08-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Might I point out here the preference to actually use a credit card (if you can) for online transactions? A debit card can potentially (although you would hope your issuer would spot it) empty your bank account. A credit card will quickly reach your limit, as long as it is sensible, and your immediate loss has a ceiling.

You may want to check with your issuer/bank if they have a limit on your debit card, and if you are going to use it online insist that they place one on your expenditure. Very often they have a daily floor limit (which they often forget to tell you about cunningly).

If you yourself actually need to go over that limit in a day, all that will happen is they will call you or "call issuer" will come up on the point-of-sale machine and you will have to identify yourself, much as if you called to check your balance etc.

Small price to pay for a little bit more online safety. As an example, a friend of mine had his debit card cloned in restaurant, and they took £1000 a day out of his account through cash machines for the next 13 days. He got his money back but they never caught the cloners.

Of course none of this is likely to happen on the Handango end. Just better to be safe than sorry.

J'bm