View Full Version : Pocket PC Internet with Cell Phone

boris4098tnt
08-08-2004, 05:29 AM
Hey guys, I was just wondering is it possible to connect pocket pc to cell phone to get an Internet? What do I need and how it is done?

Pony99CA
08-08-2004, 08:13 AM
I was just wondering is it possible to connect pocket pc to cell phone to get an Internet? What do I need and how it is done?
Yes, it's definitely possible. What you need depends on what Pocket PC and phone you have. If your Pocket PC and phone both have Bluetooth, you shouldn't need anything else; otherwise, you'll probably need a cable from a company like Gomadic (http://www.gomadic.com). (As a suggestion for the future, when asking questions like this, tell people what devices you have.)

As for how to do it, I can't help, because I've never tried it. I would assume it depends on whether you're trying to use your cell phone provider's Internet service or a dial-up ISP, though.

Steve

Maced
08-08-2004, 09:18 AM
What would push me to NEVER use my cell phone with my pda for internet is airtime charges and minute usage...

Data calls on my phone = overages up the arse, data calls consist of ringtone downloading, or anything that connects to the network to check anything from news to weather.. I racked up a 100 dollar phone bill in 5 days when I just got it (Wasn't aware that I would get raped on charges that much, or at all for that matter)

Kowalski
08-08-2004, 04:20 PM
you need
1) BT - best way
2) IR - has some diffuculties
3) direct cable connection - i have no idea about this

i used to have a siemens mobile phone having an irda port, and i wasnt quite happy with irda connection, so i bought a SE BT enabled phone. i am very pleased with it right now.

lordpercy
08-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I'd only consider using a mobile (cellphone) if using GPRS or another pay as you use data standard, connecting at 9.6k or 14.4 k is like pulling teeth and you are paying by the minute. But it does work!

Underwater Mike
08-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Who's your cellular provider?