View Full Version : Activesync inbox problem

Stephen Beesley
08-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Okay now I have to admit that despite nearly 4 years of PPC ownership I have never actually used Activesync to sync my email - well until yesterday that is. And that is were my problems started.

I have about 100 emails on my Pocket PC that I want to sync with Outlook XP on my desktop. This a new partnership and the emails were synced to my PPC from another desktop - also using Outlook XP.

The problem is that everytime I create a partnership and go to sync the emails the process deletes the emails off my Toshiba (fortunately I have a backup of the device including the emails which I can restore) without copying them over to the desktop.

Is there any way to get the emails syncing onto the desktop from my device? Is this just something that Activesync cannot do?

Does my question make sense?

ctmagnus
08-07-2004, 09:56 PM
iirc Pocket Inbox doesn't support syncing more than one Inbox. I dunno why all the other sync conduits will work with more than one machine but Pocket Inbox only works with one. Note that this isn't from first hand experience, I may have read that somewhere but I may also be mistaken in this.[/i]

Stephen Beesley
08-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Hmmm, I had thought of the "not syncing email with more than one desktop issue" and whenI set up the partnership I specified that I only wanted to synce with that desktop - but still no joy.

What is really confusing me is that before hitting the synce button (I have it set to synce manually) Activesync shows 106 items needing to be synced. The trouble is that when it then synces with the desktop (the inbox of which is empty) it just deletes the messages on my device - leaving the device and the desktop inbox empty.

Now one complicating factor is that the messages are actually in sub-folders. I created the same sub folders on my desktop outlook but still no go. I have also tried just copying the messages on my device from the subfolders into the main inbox folder and then trying to synce but same result - I end up with an empty inbox on both device and desktop.

Very frustrating!

Steven Cedrone
08-09-2004, 01:22 PM
From ActiveSync help file:

"· The first time that you synchronize Inbox information, all existing Inbox items on your device are deleted and replaced by items synchronized from your desktop. "

Steve

Stephen Beesley
08-09-2004, 01:55 PM
From ActiveSync help file:

"· The first time that you synchronize Inbox information, all existing Inbox items on your device are deleted and replaced by items synchronized from your desktop. "

Steve

Ahhhhh - now how about that, I probably should have thought of consulting the help file!

Thank you Steve, that gives me some ideas about how I might be able to work around the problem.

Steven Cedrone
08-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

Steve

Stephen Beesley
08-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

Steve

Indeed I will!

It is the very first thing I plan to do when I get home from the office tonight! You have no idea how much I want to free my Toshiba of the 105 emails plus attachments currently clogging up the inbox....

Stephen Beesley
09-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, over a month later I have finally solved this problem - but not by using Activesync. Indeed after this little experience my feelings toward activesync have gone from indifference (I never really synce my device with the desktop) to frustration to feeling like this :bangin:....

In the end I used the trial version of Intillisync - did exactly what I wanted (ie to copy my inbox items from the Pocket PC to MS Outlook on the Desktop) without any fuss.

Very impressed!