View Full Version : E800 and battery death

wocket
08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Wahh It's Friday and everything that could happen did happen. :(

Just as I was leaving work I powered on my E800 and it complained that the battery was about to die and i'd just taken it of a green light charge.

Then I took the stylus out of it's hole and the tip was missing. I't appears to be in the unit. :evil:

Just got home stuck the E800 on another charge and 5 minutes later it's got a green light again. And the tip of the stylus is still in the unit. :?:

I'm just after backing up a stack notes I took earlier on today. Using a different stylus.

Any ideas anyone..

Time for a beer I think.

Janak Parekh
08-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Sorry to hear that. :cry: My e805 is running just fine with its extended battery, AFAICT.

--janak

wocket
08-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks Janak

I took the battery in and out a few times did a few more resets and it appears to be OK now.

The battery seems to have a good charge but the E800 was only showing 28% charge.

So I think it was the E800. Might do a hard reset later just to be sure.

Janak Parekh
08-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Good to hear. Did you manage to extract the tip from within the device?

--janak

rob_ocelot
08-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks Janak

I took the battery in and out a few times did a few more resets and it appears to be OK now.

The battery seems to have a good charge but the E800 was only showing 28% charge.

So I think it was the E800. Might do a hard reset later just to be sure.

I was having the same problem and what appears to be happening is the circuitry in the battery that reports the charge to the e800 is getting confused. My battery would be stuck at a 95% charge for a long time and never reach a full charge. Once removed from the charger the battery life would drop about 5% a minute. A few hard resets didn't seem to help for me but what fixed it in the end was charging it until full and leaving it there for a day in the charger.

I do notice a reduction in battery life, but that is to be expected since the e800 will cut out the charger when the battery reports 100% and I was essentially overcharging the battery to force it to report 100% charge.

I'm 95% sure it's a battery related problem and not an e800 problem. The PDA can only act on what the battery reports to it. If this were a problem with the charging circuitry in the e800 the problem would not be spontaneously fixing itself.

I'm going to purchase a Mugen 2000 mAh battery to be totally sure -- ie If I can get from the Mugen what other people have reported in terms of battery life.

The other option is to send the e800 back to Toshiba. I don't know if they will replace a confused or damaged battery under warranty. Charging circuitry and power supply are covered, but I think batteries fall under the same category as screens -- something the user can damage that is not due to a manufacturing defect on Toshibas part.

wocket
08-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Did you manage to extract the tip from within the device?

No not yet, i'll see what I can do when I get to work tomorrow (better tools).

wocket
08-08-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm 95% sure it's a battery related problem and not an e800 problem. The PDA can only act on what the battery reports to it. If this were a problem with the charging circuitry in the e800 the problem would not be spontaneously fixing itself.

Thats what I thought Rob. I had it on charge for most of yesterday and this mornig I switched it on and it's droped down to 89% already.

HTK
08-12-2004, 01:08 PM
You guys have any news about your e805īs and batteries?
I got a e805 from ebay and not only it came with nothing besides the stylus+battery but the battery itself seems to be dead :(
I'm trying to charge it with my h1945 charger ( 5v ) could you guys confirm if your e805 uses a 5v charger ?
I wonder if it is really dead or if its some confusion in my e805 or in the battery like you guys are having :(

wocket
08-12-2004, 01:23 PM
The power supply needs to be DC 5V 3A.

My standard battery seems to behaving itself again. I've been monitoring it for the last few days.

I gave it a long charge then a few top ups.

BTW I also found some information on Toshiba's Knowledge Base that may be useful to you get it here (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/faq.jsp?service=UK&from=faq_selection&CFID=PDA&FID=TIU0000002c16)

HTK
08-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks Wocket, the link is very informative on battery charging, aging etc :D

I'm glad to say my e805 battery is now working fine, after a lot of experimentation ( such as adapting a h1945 battery to the e805 ) and removing/inserting the battery a number of times it now seems to be working fine, it shows 95% charge after some time running, i'm glad it was just crazyness on the pda or the battery ( I would guess the pda is the responsible but I dont really know ).
I just hope it keeps that way, it would be nice to find a more precise way to make this "ressucitation", like a sequence of hard-resets/battery-removes.

Anyway, I hope this thread gives light and hope to other fellow users having this same issue.

Thanks ! :D

mef38
08-18-2004, 05:56 AM
I'm going to purchase a Mugen 2000 mAh battery to be totally sure -- ie If I can get from the Mugen what other people have reported in terms of battery life.

That's the great thing about dealing with us. We offer a 30-day money back guarantee. You don't like the battery (or you returned your PPC to Toshiba) then you get your money back.

Check us out at www.lionbattery.com.

MEF38 8)

wocket
08-18-2004, 08:35 PM

Eh? I did'nt say that. You ment to quote Rob :)

mef38
08-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Eh? I did'nt say that. You ment to quote Rob :)

Oops! You're right. I meant it for Rob. The HTML didn't work right. Oh well. I think we understood.

MEF38 8)

Kati Compton
08-19-2004, 04:27 AM
Fixed the quote. ;)

wocket
08-19-2004, 09:53 AM
8) Thanks :)

jpjehu
08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
I don't know if anyone will get this, but was/is the Mugen battery pretty decent? I was thinking of buying one on ebay, but I didn't know whether to trust them or not...Thanks!

mef38
08-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Jpjehu,

Just to let you know that we are an online reseller of Mugen Batteries. We've had many good comments from our clients. You can verify our record on eBay (mef38) or visit www.brighthand.com to see some other independant comments.

Mark 8)

-------------------------------------------------------
Visit our web store at www.lionbattery.com

jpjehu
08-31-2004, 07:21 PM
thanks!