View Full Version : Journalling / Note Taking Software

mjm01
08-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Any recommendation for products and systems for effective daily note taking etc.

I have licensed copies of Phatnotes Pro and PI5 but haven't yet come up with a system that allows me to throw away the A4 lined pad on my desk !!

I've looked at some journalling software but haven't found anything od use ... yet !!

Any product or system suggestions?

Mark

Ripper014
08-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Not really without a keyboard... but for journaling I like to use Journal Pro.

jared_141
08-09-2004, 05:34 PM
A piece of software I have tried and liked is TreNotes by Fann Software. It supports editing of rich text (i.e. Word docs), as well as drawings, plain text, etc. , and has a desktop app. A free alternative to this is Tombo. I haven't messed with it much, but it looks very similar to TreNotes. Wish I had known about Tombo before I laid down the 25 bones for TreNotes... Oh well.

mrkablooey
08-10-2004, 12:18 AM
this might help too
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30690

onepieceman
08-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Journal Pro is what I would like to use, but it seems that it won't work with WM2003.
On my XDA2 it works for a bit and then crashes, seemingly at random. Anyone else have this problem, or is it something on my XDA2 that doesn't like to live alongside this software?

ATraveler
08-28-2004, 07:03 PM
FWIW, I have used JournalPro on an e80x running either WM2003 or SE without any problems.

Ripper014
08-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I am using it on the Hp2200 with the latest rom upgrade and have had no problems...

By the way there is a new version coming out that has a lot of improvements... such as bullets... and text formatting... (about time)... but this will make it a much better program, at least for me.

Reid Kistler
08-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Mark:

Am also using PhatNotes Pro with Pocket Informant 5 (a nice app, but REALLY MISS having a desktop version, as have with Agendus under the Palm OS), and am still learning capabilities of each: for example, there are some anomalies in the PhatNotes "FIND" function that limit its usefullness, but if you ALSO employ the "FILTER" function, the combination of the two can narrow your search to a handful of Notes.

As for Quick Input, doubt anything will take the place of paper and pen - and therefore the necessity of transcribing, unless you wish to use one of the pen input options (Axim X30 offers a pair of these - 3 counting "Graffiti" or whatever the name is on a PocketPC device).

Thoughts:
CALCNOTE is an interesting little program - pops up a quick calculator OR a little note screen. Saves to the basic Notes program though (not PhatNotes).

Have used the PI "Journal" option for quick notes ("Pick up....."; "Call xyz") - I tend to leave PI5 and PhatNotes running all of the time.

Am also having some success using the FITALY keyboard app as a replacement for the provided QWERTY software keyboard. Had also used FITALY on my palm device (actually a Visor Platinum) and - after a bit of training time - find it to be much quicker than any other form of input save an external keyboard.

Have actually starting using it to take notes with during meetings - into PhatNotes - as opposed to using pencil and paper, with nearly the same note-taking speed. Like touch-typing, the key is to practice enough that you don't have to "think" about the layout - even though you obviously DO have to look at the screen, just as you would for any of the software input methods.

Good luck in your search for the perfect PIM!

Reid