View Full Version : New iPAQ h4150 ROM Update

Janak Parekh
08-06-2004, 04:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21484.html' target='_blank'>http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/f...load/21484.html</a><br /><br /></div>HP released a ROM update, v1.10, for the iPAQ 4150 this week. There are numerous updates, listed on the linked page; perhaps the most important is that WPA support has finally been included. A weird cautionary note is also included: <i>"The ROM date under Asset Viewer will not match the web release date. The 'Asset Viewer' date should not be used to determine the level of the ROM revision."</i><br /><br />Has anyone tried it, especially the WPA support?

gorkon280
08-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Man when are they going to do any updates on the 4350's? Specifically, I'd like WPA too! :D

karinatwork
08-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Another update???? Rebuild my pocket pc again???
After the first update, my alarms (that had always been working) won't work anymore. Well, maybe if I update my pocket pc now, they will work again. But build it again from scratch...??? :grumble:

K.

pepemosca
08-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Has anyone tried this update? Is it good?
Yes, rebuild my iPAQ all over again... not funny :)

But, would be nice an upgrade to WM200SE :?

Jeff Song
08-06-2004, 07:00 PM
yea, i'm with gorkon...where is the update for 4355s???

Boxster S
08-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Installed it last night. Spent another hour and half loading all of my programs back. No problems so far.

pepemosca
08-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Installed it last night. Spent another hour and half loading all of my programs back. No problems so far.

Good to know. Thanks.
Maybe I will install it at night.

horseflesh
08-06-2004, 07:59 PM
I don't need these changes so I am not going to spend the time to install it.

The one fix I most want is for WLAN. If I power-cycle my 4150, when it comes back ok WLAN doesn't work. It is ON, the light blinks, it will even associate with an access point... but apps don't see a connection. I have to turn WLAN off and then on again before it starts working properly.

Ack!

that_kid
08-06-2004, 10:05 PM
I hope the 4350 version is coming out soon as that's the ppc I use the most. You would think that the two updates would be released at the same time as the only difference between them is the keyboard. Hmmm go figure.

paris
08-06-2004, 11:33 PM
oh it was new after all :) i knew there was an update for my 4150 but i did not bother since i has not problems. last night after a few bluetooth problems i thought hey why not upgrade :) luckily it was an even newer image :D dated 2 Aug.

made a backup
flahed with the new rom
restored the backup

everything work fine and no problems at all :) i know doing so is not recomended but hey, it works :) if i ever get weird problems i will do a clean setup but so far works flawlessly.

christak
08-07-2004, 01:11 AM
"made a backup
flahed with the new rom
restored the backup"

Why would you do this? To save time in reinstalling??

You have basically "undone" your ROM update... not to mention that you are likely using more RAM than necessary because of restoring...
:wink: :?:

jbachandouris
08-07-2004, 01:42 AM
You can't undo a ROM update.

Anyway, I just received a wireless router (of course it shipped before my new laptop :&lt;). I spent about 1/2 convincing my Ipaq to use it with WEP enabled. After the ROM 'update' nothing! Unavailable.

ctmagnus
08-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Did you disable SSID broadcast on the router after it was working with the iPaq with the previous ROM?

paris
08-07-2004, 03:57 AM
"made a backup
flahed with the new rom
restored the backup"

You have basically "undone" your ROM update... not to mention that you are likely using more RAM than necessary because of restoring...

LOL no mate thats not how it works :) the backup only bauckups RAM files, you can override ROM files. This method is not recommended since it might break someting in the registry and thats about it.

collegea
08-07-2004, 04:07 AM
I installed the update earlier this evening. It didn't go as smooth as the last Rom Update in June. There were a bit more options to configure on the WLAN side. It took about 15 minutes for me to get it connected to my Wireless G Network at home. (Now it connects within 10 seconds!) The previous updates were pretty mindless and I was able to connect immediately. HP is getting a little more geeky for those who don't have very elaborate corporate networks.

The Bluetooth setup was the same and quick on my SE T610.

I tried to put some of my programs on my SD card, like Peacemaker Professional, RD Calc, etc,; so I wouldn't have to download them again and that didn't turn out very well. I ended up downloading them again. I'm not sure what went wrong.

My 256MB Panasonic SD card is mostly all filled up with Pictures and Music. (7.3 MB remains).

I wouldn't update here unless you got a very elaborate high security corporate network. It was a bit of a hassale and I don't see the big benefits yet.

ecard
08-07-2004, 04:24 AM
I just did the upgrade and it went as smooth as the 1.00.16 update. I don't know why you all have problems.

I was able to connect to my wifi at home in minutes...

I always hate the fact that I have to re-install all my apps... I'm getting good at it... I now have a list of all my apps and where they are install (SD, iPaq Store file, memory).

fyiguy
08-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Man when are they going to do any updates on the 4350's? Specifically, I'd like WPA too! :D

HP stated in their updated FAQ on why HP didn't support WMSE upgrades, that the 4XXX series updates were to be released in the "early September timeframe". The 41XX looks to be ahead of schedule, so hopefully the 43XX will be soon to follow.

A copy of the updated FAQ can be read here (http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2466&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0) if you are interested. There is some mention of news on what updates will be available for the h1900 series, h2200 series, and the h5000 series as well.

:D

pepemosca
08-07-2004, 04:11 PM
I just did the ROM update without any problems.
Everything goes normaly for now.

drowe
08-07-2004, 07:04 PM
I did my update and restored with Sprite Backup Premium. Bad idea! Most of the things look like they are working, but some strange problems. Checked Sprite's site and they said not to restore an old backup onto a new ROM. Should have read that earlier :oops: . Re-installed ROM update, re-installed apps, everything happy now. I'm new to PPC and this was my first ROM update, just wanted to warn anybody like me that doesn't read all the directions :roll:

BobWitt
08-07-2004, 07:58 PM
I just got a BT Phone (SE T608 w/Sprint) - it is my first BT device so I thought before I spent too much time getting everything here working, I would upgrade the ROM, rebuild and go from there...

I was at 1.00.07 ROM, not having installed 1.00.14 before so off to hp I went and found the update noted here...

Great! I think, only have to rebuild once. There was no note if the were fully independent so I applied the 1.00.14 w/o issue...

Then soft reset, did an AS Guest and tried to apply 1.10 and right after all the files expand to the desktop hard drive I get the following message:

"Failed to load control 'RichTextBox' from RICHTX32.OCX. Your version of RICHTX32.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

So, now what??? Did HP use different controls in the two updaters? How do I fix this??

The good news is the Pocket PC never started the ROM write and I have a perfectly functional 1.00.14 Pocket PC. Based on some of the notes in this thread, I just might stay here, but would still like to know what up here…

BobWitt

christak
08-07-2004, 09:42 PM
"made a backup
flahed with the new rom
restored the backup"

LOL no mate thats not how it works :) the backup only bauckups RAM files, you can override ROM files. This method is not recommended since it might break someting in the registry and thats about it.

You can most certainly replace a ROM file with a RAM file -- any patches offered by HP (short of a ROM upgrade) do just that... You can LOL all you like, but you can replace your newly updated files with previous old patched files from your previous RAM build... Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant (perhaps I wasn't clear -- certainly possible), but at least with the 2210, BT patches -- MS Reader updates/patches -- various driver patches, etc -- all loaded into RAM and superceded the ROM files... Maybe your 4150 does not contain this type of patch -- If it does, my comments regarding "undoing" the update are correct...

:wink:

pepemosca
08-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Could someone be able to do this:

Adds use of high-quality MIDI playback for alarms and meeting reminders.

I just upload some .MID files to my iPAQ, but I cannot see them on the list for "Play sound" (I'd placed the .MID file on the \Windows).

Anyone?

ctmagnus
08-08-2004, 09:11 PM
The

high-quality MIDI playback

still uses .wav files for the sounds. I can't quite wrap my head around that either (:confused totally:), other than the files don't have the popping that previous versions had.

BobWitt
08-09-2004, 01:28 AM
I got through my ocx problems noted before and moved to the 1.10 ROM... a few observations...

The first alarm that came due generated an alarm... A good start but I'm keeping Wake-up Tweak handy...

I recall a lot of discussion about the change to the calculator - well the 'newer' version with the currency converter is back...

BobWitt

BobWitt
08-09-2004, 04:14 PM
No Joy....

I needed to install "Wake-up Tweak" this morning...

BobWitt