View Full Version : One Man, His Dog, His Laptop, And A Pocket PC

Janak Parekh
08-05-2004, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/03/voice_recognition/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/0...ce_recognition/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"This is an attempt to dictate a document using voice recognition. I am doing this slightly differently to how I would normally. For a start, I am also walking the dog. Therefore, it is not possible to look at my computer in the normal way, so I have put it in my rucksack. This makes it impossible to see the screen so I have had to resort to other means. I am therefore viewing my laptop screen via a wireless network connection from my Dell Axim PDA. From there, I am using a VNC (Virtual Network computing) software client to create a remote display of the laptop screen, on the PDA. When I require some mouse control, I have a Hand Track portable trackerball from Trust, or I can also use the touch screen of the PDA to control where I am on the laptop screen. The voice recognition software is Dragon NaturallySpeaking XP, running on Windows 98. And, guess what. It all works - well, mostly."</i><br /><br />A rather unorthodox use of a Pocket PC -- and perhaps the upcoming micro PCs might help him out in building a slicker solution -- but you've got to root for someone who is willing to try this, <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7144"><i>because he can</i></a>. ;)

felixdd
08-05-2004, 05:40 PM
If he has an Axim...he could've just dictated and make a recording on the Axim while walking the dog. And when he gets home, he can use a cable to connect the audio out of the axim to the input of the laptop when he gets home and have the recording play out.
(Or he can just play the recording from the Axim and record from the computer that way)

Gen-M
08-05-2004, 05:52 PM
If he has an Axim...he could've just dictated and make a recording on the Axim while walking the dog. And when he gets home, he can use a cable to connect the audio out of the axim to the input of the laptop when he gets home and have the recording play out.
(Or he can just play the recording from the Axim and record from the computer that way)
Yes, he could - and then he would have to convert to text and edit at his desk. What he has is a system which allows him to convert to text and edit in real time while walking the dog. No desktop needed.

Dave Potter
08-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Very cool article!

D.psi
08-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Yes, he could - and then he would have to convert to text and edit at his desk. What he has is a system which allows him to convert to text and edit in real time while walking the dog. No desktop needed.

Actually, I believe that no matter what the PC (maybe not a desktop), is required, as the host for the speech to text platform. In effect, the Axim was nothing more than a wireless microphone and remote display in this particular case. Or that's how I took the description.

Still cool though.

D.psi

DavidHorn
08-05-2004, 11:14 PM
I wood jest lick to see that hey has hud a lotto moor success then I every had witch speed registration...

The key seems to be to speak with an American accent, which is no easy feat if you're British :)

Jonathon Watkins
08-06-2004, 01:43 AM
I wood jest lick to see that hey has hud a lotto moor success then I every had witch speed registration...

The key seems to be to speak with an American accent, which is no easy feat if you're British :)

:lol: Very good.

However, I'm quite impressed by the speech recognition software. I installed Viavoice for my Vicar 4 years ago and it works well. When he is dictating sermons, he can get by with only 1 or 2 mistakes on a whole page worth of dictation. Much faster than typing and good to avoid RSI. I must get around to setting it up myself. :wink: